PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Newton "film", is there such a thing?

Daniel Stone
23-Nov-2011, 09:23
Hey guys,

I'm thinning down my equipment, and only using a contact frame for my stuff now. The vacuum frame is gonna get canned. Its just too big, too noisy, and since my largest film size is 8x10, I don't need a 18x22" platen-sized vacuum frame...

However, after looking at the price of anti-newton glass to replace the standard glass in my current frames, I'm looking for an alternative. Does anyone know if there's an anti-newton "film" that I could put between the glass and the negative? Probably would be a permanent thing, especially when I contact print 8x10 color negatives. My big frame is an 11x14, and my smaller one is an 8x10.

Any ideas? I've tried a frosted(very slight frosting, I can easily read fine newsprint when its laid on top of it) acetate, but it left a frosted pattern on the print, especially in larger areas of blank sky...

I don't mind if I'd have to buy a 25pack, but if its cheaper than a piece of 11x14 A/N glass, I'm open...

thanks in advance

Dan

Peter De Smidt
23-Nov-2011, 09:31
How about anti glare picture framing glass. It's pretty thin, though. If you get the kind with a slight texture on both sides, you could use a thicker piece of glass behind it.

Another option would be to use P99 acrylic, which is very similar to the material that Screen uses for the bed of a Cezanne scanner. See: http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=349 It should be available at any plastics dealer.

Sevo
23-Nov-2011, 10:17
There used to be such a thing, made from etched plastic film, by Klimsch. But they closed shop some 16 years ago, after digital had taken over the pre-press business - I rather doubt that you'll find such a fragile semi-consumable from thirty years ago in any usable state today.

Ari
23-Nov-2011, 10:25
There's a Chinese vendor of ANR glass on eBay; he'll cut it to size, and charge you something like $60.

ic-racer
23-Nov-2011, 16:15
With emulsion on both sides, x-ray film should be free from Newton rings when in contact with glass and film base.

Also, The Encyclopedic Dictionary of Photography also contains a few different formulas for "Negative Retouching Varnish" that give the film base "...a rough biting surface, which takes the lead of the retouching pencil." I suspect it will also eliminate Newton rings.

When I contact print with a thick glass, I slightly lift the glass and set it back just before the exposure. If you watch you can see the Newton rings move around and then stabilize in a fixed position and if the exposure is quick enough, the rings won't be visible.

Bob Salomon
23-Nov-2011, 16:21
Talcum powder

DanK
23-Nov-2011, 16:44
I personally use safety glass -1/4" glass shelving - for contact printing - and have never experienced problems...

Cheers,
Dan

Paul Fitzgerald
23-Nov-2011, 19:12
"Any ideas? I've tried a frosted(very slight frosting, I can easily read fine newsprint when its laid on top of it) acetate, but it left a frosted pattern on the print, especially in larger areas of blank sky...

I don't mind if I'd have to buy a 25pack, but if its cheaper than a piece of 11x14 A/N glass, I'm open..."

That is exactly what Kodak sold as 'Diffusion sheets' for contact printing seperation negs. Too bad it didn't work out for you.

Jim Noel
25-Nov-2011, 09:22
I use the non-glare picture frame glass in my contact frame. It is lightly etched on one side and doesn't cause newton rings. It does not affect the image in any way and is not so etched as to make it difficult to see where to dodge and burn. I also use it in my glass negative carriers for the top glass for the same reasons.

This is the best and simplest answer I have found. It works as well as anti-newton glass and is far cheaper.
Jim

Daniel Stone
25-Nov-2011, 12:59
thanks everyone, I'll see about trying out some of the non-glare P/F glass then! Would using it under some thicker glass be ok, just for sake of rigidity?

-Dan

Peter De Smidt
25-Nov-2011, 13:47
You might get Newton's rings if two smooth sheets of glass are pressed together. Luckily, anti-glare framing glass comes in a type that has texture on both sides, which means that it should be fine using it against a thicker piece of glass.

cjbroadbent
25-Nov-2011, 16:17
Ever since discovering Rollei Tonal Retro 100 (http://www.maco-photo.de/files/images/Datasheet_Rollei_Tonal_gb.pdf)I have been free of Newton rings. The film base seems to be matte.