PDA

View Full Version : 11x14 color negative film availability

massimo vitali
3-Oct-2003, 02:57
Hi,two years ago I had to give up 11x14 colour photography due to kodak's "46 boxes minimum order rule" Since I make 6'x7'feet prints I can feel a difference between 11x14 and 8x10 not only for the sharpness but also for the increased front coverage (my lenses have sufficent rear coverage). Does anybody know where I can buy 10/12 boxes of Portra T100 or even better of Portra NC 160 or 400.Apparently if there is enough people interested we could order Kodak to cut film for us. Has anybody done this?Is there a group buy going on right now? Thanks for all info regarding this subject.

David A. Goldfarb
3-Oct-2003, 06:26
If you wanted to make an order of Portra NC 160 or 400, I'd be in for three or four 10-sheet boxes.

tor kviljo
3-Oct-2003, 06:27
I can not help You with the 11x14 sheet film. However, I have good experience with the use of 9 1/2" wide aerial color pos. & B & W roll-film which I have cut for 4"x5" & 8"x10" sheet film holders (I have used a Meteor Siegen auto. paper dispenser for presice measuring & cutting of film. These are easy to find inexpensively now as the graphic-art lab's have turned dry & digital). I have had reasonable good access of "left-over" AGFA aerial films for that purpose. It would reduce the max size to approx 9x14" - but still much better than 8"x10" Good luck

Tor Kviljo

Justus Schlichting
4-Oct-2003, 23:59
I would be interested in a group purchase of 11x14 Portra NC 160 or 400. I would take at least 5, perhaps up to 10-12 boxes.

wm mitchell
5-Oct-2003, 10:26
Massimo, Count me in for 2-4 boxes, if you get enough interest. Thanks, BILL William Mitchell

christoph morlinghaus
5-Jan-2004, 12:39
hi,

it might be a little bit too late to jump on that train, but i would like to get about 10 boxes NC (portra T100 would be fine, too).

jeff minton
11-Jan-2004, 16:36
I would be interested in 4-6 boxes as well. It seems we are close to the minumum number kodak requires, so how do we start the process?

Justus Schlichting
12-Jan-2004, 11:52
I just made a preliminary inquiry to Kodak regarding the special purchase of 11x14 color negative material. I'm waiting now for a sales rep to contact me with more details. As soon as I get the complete story, I will post it here.

I would be glad to take the lead on this, if everyone is still interested, and no one else is interested in handling the details.

More shortly.

christoph morlinghaus
12-Jan-2004, 15:47
Does anybody have any experience in developing those 11/14 colorneg-films? I am based in Manhattan and the labs I normaly work with stop at 8/10.

Justus Schlichting
12-Jan-2004, 16:10
I haven't processed any 11x14 color yet (no film!), but I have processed b&w in a Jobo 3027 Expert drum. Since I process loads of 8x10 negative color in an Expert drum, I don't anticipate any problems doing 11x14 C-41.

David A. Goldfarb
12-Jan-2004, 18:05
In Manhattan Modernage lists 11x14" film processing as a regular service.

jeff minton
12-Jan-2004, 22:09
Thanks Justus for foraging ahead and contacting Kodak, I'm curious to hear what they have to say. I have followed a few threads about people wanting to custom order from Kodak in the past, but they never seemed to happen. So if you want to handle the details that would be great. I'm sure there are lots more people out there who are interested in 11x14 color neg that haven't posted here, so if we can get the ball rolling it might just work out.

David A. Goldfarb
13-Jan-2004, 06:32
It usually doesn't happen because the minimum order is so large, but I know people who have done it, so it is possible, and it looks like we might have enough folks here to manage it.

Dino
31-Jan-2004, 01:20
Massimo, I am going to push Kodak to make some 160nc . I need at least 400 sheets. There still is a cat number for the 100t which is ok, but i do not see why they can not make 160nc. I am hoping that you guys have not yet placed the order.

Look forward to seeing some new pictures from Massimo too,

Dino
31-Jan-2004, 01:44
Oh! I forgot.

I have found it impossible to find a way of enlarging from an 11x14 neg. I know Durst sell an adapted 8x10 enlarger for 11x14, but have no idea who has one. If anyone knows of a place to enlarge and a lab for processing in the u.s. (modernage i am not familuar with but they said they do not process 11x14, Dugal said they could try it , and color edge and diapositive said no.) I do know a place in Milan, but with fed ex now x raying film its a bit scary to send it there.

thanks again

jeff minton
2-Feb-2004, 23:15
The lab I use in Los Angeles (Nardulli) has been really helpful. They run my 11x14 b+w and tell me when I finally track down some color neg they can process that too. As far as enlarging they can only do up to 8x10 optically, but I'm going to try drum scanning an 11x14 neg then making a Lightjet (digital projection onto photo paper) up to 4x6 feet.

I asked them to speak with their Kodak rep and at last today got some concrete numbers on ordering color neg: For 160VC 11x14 film- 53 boxes of 10 @ $160.48 each ($8,505.44). I think they can make 400 speeds and NC versions for around the same price also.

I don't know if anyone here is interested in buying the lot then selling to others (Dino is looking for 400 sheets?). If not maybe I can convince Nardulli to buy it and sell to us retail.

Dino
5-Feb-2004, 20:53
That is very good, I was told a minium of 20,000 dollars and only in 100T, last year. $160 per box is a good price. I am going to order in about 2 to 4 weeks, I need to start shooting in June. I will be for 160NC, not really experienced with VC, from what I hear it is more contrasty than the NC (maybe I am wrong). I may be able to buy 55 boxes and maybe sell a few. Look forward, I may have to buy some hair spray to keep the film flat.. know any good brands???? only joking.

Richard Fenner
11-Feb-2004, 03:02
Jeff, I emailed you a while ago to check on progress. Is there any?

Justus Schlichting
11-Feb-2004, 09:50
For those of you who want to acquire 11x14 color negative film, here is a report of my search, and a request for responses.

The Kodak rep I spoke with found (after a long search and much prodding) a single catalog item (#8050585) for 11x14 Portra 100T, 10 sheet boxes at $182.56 per box, requiring a minimum order of 46 boxes.

I have also spoken to Cooter at Nardulli (a lab in LA), who assures me that he can tap a resource at Kodak who can deliver 11x14 Portra 160 VC, 10 sheet boxes at $160.48 per box, with a minimum order of 53 boxes. Cooter also said he could get Portra 400 VC in 10 sheet boxes for 196.30 per box. Thanks to Jeff Minton for finding this lead.

I am checking one last time with my Kodak rep to see if she can explain the difference (this is more for curiosity than anything else).

Until then, it appears that the Nardulli price and product (160VC) would be our best choice on a unit cost basis.

Both Nardulli and Kodak expect a single purchase for the respective minimum orders, so this purchase will require a coordinated effort and a single "purchaser" or wholesaler. I earlier indicated that I would be willing to fulfill this role, but will also be happy to relinquish it if someone else wishes to broker the deal.

In order to complete this order, I need to hear from everyone who would like to share in the purchase as soon as possible to determine if we have enough interested parties to make it financially feasible.

So please respond as soon as possible, either to this forum, or to me directly, with the number of boxes you wish to purchase, your specifics (email, name, address, phone) along with any questions or concerns you might have.

In the meantime, I will work out the specifics of how to handle the transaction and report them to the interested parties.

Thanks.

justus

jeff minton
11-Feb-2004, 10:17
I am most interested in 400vc, but 160vc is good too. (4) boxes. I could give a credit card # or check.

Thanks

tim atherton
11-Feb-2004, 10:19
"I am most interested in 400vc, but 160vc is good too"

you can barely find that in 8x10 these days...

Dino
14-Aug-2004, 11:29
Did this order ever take place. I have been a bit busy and did not get myself together to order. I did get hold of some out dated 100t and have ordered 2 dated boxes of Fuji from Japan.

I am hoping for 160 vc or nc.

Also if there are any labs that are good for 11x14 color I would love to know. In New York 'LTI' on 30th St can process 11x14 color and also 16x20 and 20x24 color negs and are very good. I know a place in Milano too. But for travelling it would be nice to know others.

Is anyone planning on enlarging with out digital intermediate?

I know that Durst have an 11x14 enlarger on there u.s website.

All the best

Dino

Torontoamateur
24-Oct-2023, 04:08
I am using a wonderful Wisner 11x14 and am drawn to going to color film.

I have severed my purchasing from Mr Canham for various reasons ( OK it was because of super high shipping costs to Canada and shipping address errors, that is NOT the discussion now) and I am seeking other sources for both E6 and C41 film.

I know B&H supplies Porta 160 in 40 box lots which puts that into the multi thousand dollar purchase.. I am not quite at the stage of need for such a large purchase. But I do enjoy the 11x14 Ektachrome 100.

If you know of a source for 11x14 color let me know.

Regards

Toronto amateur

Torontoamateur
24-Oct-2023, 04:13
I am Reviving this in October 2023 and seeking new 11x14 color film sources and people interested in a group purchase.

Toronto Amateur

Fred L
24-Oct-2023, 05:29
Shipping from the US is almost always going to be brutal. A recent order from Freestyle had shipping costs (Fed Ex fees after the fact) almost 1/2 the cost of what I bought. The wrong address would be hair pulling as well.

If you're firm on not using Canham, who I believe is pretty much the only special order supplier for Kodak, I think one (or only) option is to see if you can get a group together to split the cost of the B&H Portra order. This would require either everyone ponying up a deposit, or you go with people you trust to not back out.

I don't see any other retailer selling 11x14 colour film so you might be on a dead end road. Good luck in your search and I hope you find a source for these films.

Oren Grad
24-Oct-2023, 05:37
Threads merged.

Torontoamateur
24-Oct-2023, 15:00
Shipping from the US is almost always going to be brutal. A recent order from Freestyle had shipping costs (Fed Ex fees after the fact) almost 1/2 the cost of what I bought. The wrong address would be hair pulling as well.

If you're firm on not using Canham, who I believe is pretty much the only special order supplier for Kodak, I think one (or only) option is to see if you can get a group together to split the cost of the B&H Portra order. This would require either everyone ponying up a deposit, or you go with people you trust to not back out.

I don't see any other retailer selling 11x14 colour film so you might be on a dead end road. Good luck in your search and I hope you find a source for these films.

You are obviously missing that B&H sells 11x14 colour and so do a couple others in the USA and in Europe.

If I eventually have to buy 40 boxes of 11x14 Portra I can actually afford to. I will just freeze it and enjoy the film over a couple of years. I find that Kodak has reliably long expiry dates. I just bought some 8x10 Ektachrome from B&H and the expiry is in late 2025.

I do not want this to be about the shipping costs or being told there is only one supplier. I know B&H supplies 11x14 Portra and I would just like to split the cost with some sincere other people.

I have two good labs here in Canada who can do 11x14 C41 and another who will do 11x14 E6.

Again this is about access to the 11x14 colour film . If I must go direct to Kodak then I may do just that.

The sources I have for scanning in Toronto are truly top quality.

Duolab123
24-Oct-2023, 15:14
You are obviously missing that B&H sells 11x14 colour and so do a couple others in the USA and in Europe.

If I eventually have to buy 40 boxes of 11x14 Portra I can actually afford to. I will just freeze it and enjoy the film over a couple of years. I find that Kodak has reliably long expiry dates. I just bought some 8x10 Ektachrome from B&H and the expiry is in late 2025.

I do not want this to be about the shipping costs or being told there is only one supplier. I know B&H supplies 11x14 Portra and I would just like to split the cost with some sincere other people.

I have two good labs here in Canada who can do 11x14 C41 and another who will do 11x14 E6.

Again this is about access to the 11x14 colour film . If I must go direct to Kodak then I may do just that.

The sources I have for scanning in Toronto are truly top quality.

I would call Canham, he may have some on the way. Maybe you only need to buy 20 boxes. I would love to try this in 11x14, I have too much 11x14 black and white that needs to be put to use.

Fred L
24-Oct-2023, 20:07
nope, saw that B&H has 11x14 ( was in my reply). Checked Freestyle and Badgergraphic and both only went to 8x10. If you have another US source that's a good thing and hopefully there will be others in the same boat and get in on a group purchase.