PDA

View Full Version : Oceano Dunes Get Together In Honor of Per Volquartz

Pages : [1] 2

Ted Stoddard
11-Nov-2011, 21:21
I'm in the planning stages of doing a get together for Oceano Dunes In Feb 2012 but I want to see the interest in this before i do a full blown get together, any interest please feel free to chime in on this and I am doing this in honor of my very good friend Per Volquartz, as most of you know he suddenly past away in July of this year and since i will be in California and having never been there before I was hoping to get a bunch of us together to swap stories and images and etc. This is open to all formats including 35mm and of course larger, I will most likely be bringing my Mamiya RZ67 and my 8x10 Burke & James.... I will also be showing the last images me and Per had worked on in May after the Tonopah gathering.

Hope all is well with everyone and the dates are going to be Feb 24,25 & 26

Thanks again Ted also if someone can repost this at APUG it will be greatly appreciated

Brian Vuillemenot
11-Nov-2011, 21:39
Sounds great Ted, please keep me posted

Michael Clark
12-Nov-2011, 23:39
Never been to Oceano Dunes,sounds like a good reason to go and take a look.

Mike

Robert Oliver
13-Nov-2011, 01:04
Put me on your list... I love the Oceano Dunes and really enjoyed everything I learned from Per.

Joseph Dickerson on these boards would probably want to attend also.

dperez
14-Nov-2011, 11:23
I would like to go. I didn't get a chance to know Per as well as some of you have, but he did help me out a couple times regarding locations and other things. It would be cool to be a part of this memorial gathering. Thanks.

-Daniel Perez

Asher Kelman
14-Nov-2011, 11:54
Ted,

I too would like to join you. In the short time I spent interacting with Per I found him to be so kind, helpful and modest; a man of exceptional worth. Seeing his last pictures would be an apt memorial.

Asher

Ted Stoddard
14-Nov-2011, 15:00
Hey everyone seems like we have alot of people interested what I would like is for people to email me at the following address slvrgltndrkrm /@/ aol com with any questions or anything else you might need!

@ Asher the images I will be showing are the images Per helped me on these are not his last images but they are mine and his direction gave me the great images I have and most are studio work we did together in his studio after the Tonopah workshop, I feel very honored to have had the time to work with him on these images he helped me create some spectacular images I must say!

Thanks anyone interested please send me a email this is not going to cost anything except for your time and energy! Per gave his knowledge freely and without a thought and I hope to start a new way of continuing his work!

Thanks Ted

Ted Stoddard
14-Nov-2011, 15:28
Some ideas have been thrown my way about places to stay near Oceano Dunes

So the ideas are that if we have enough people get together we can as a group do the following:

Rent a condo on the beach in Pismo shared costs equally to everyone
A Hostel owned by an Enviromentalist great guy by the way and camp at the places near the dunes with an RV or somethibg like that but any thoughts or concerned would be greatly appreciated!

Let me know

Thanks Ted

Sirius Glass
14-Nov-2011, 17:11
Sorry, I will not be on the West Coast then. 10 February to 12 February would be better for me.

Steve

matthew blais
14-Nov-2011, 17:48
Did someone say road trip?
A chance to hunt images and maybe a few deer?
I'll pencil it in Ted.

Jim Fitzgerald
14-Nov-2011, 17:55
I'm a maybe on this one. If I get into the Renaissance in Yosemite I think the opening is then. I've been to Guadalupe Dunes several times and know where to go!

Ted Stoddard
14-Nov-2011, 18:30
Yes, Matt someone did say roadtrip lol but for me it's more of a vacation and combo business trip!

I'll pick up some venison for you to make chili lol

Can't wait to see ya Matt gots lots to talk about!

If you can throw in a little info that might be good for the gathering it would be greatly appreciated!

If everyone likes the condo on the beach idea, in the past we have rented a cabin in the Eastern Sierras at Convict Lake and that was fun especially the food that was cooked!

Ted Stoddard
14-Nov-2011, 18:33
Jim if your going do you think a Carbon print demo can be arranged?

Send me a PM if you need to!!!

Ted

matthew blais
14-Nov-2011, 18:36
Info: Look out for deer early morning when driving when there's a sh*tload of trees around

How's that?

Ted Stoddard
14-Nov-2011, 18:51
Per would be laughing so hard on that comment he be choking lol

I meant some other help matt I'll send you a pm or give you a call soon

Jim Fitzgerald
14-Nov-2011, 19:00
Ted, I am about 1 1/2 hours south of the dunes. I'm sure something could be arranged.

Hugo Zhang
14-Nov-2011, 21:14
If Jim is going with his 14x17, I may go to. We talked about shooting Oceano Dunes two years ago and I was waiting for my 16x20 then. I remember Jim mentioned some secret place that does not require lots of hiking. Maybe Tri will bring his 20x24 too. :)

Ted Stoddard
15-Nov-2011, 05:25
Hugo

That would great if you can come too and bring that monster of a camera! I'm sure would like to see some of your images from the Tonopah gathering.... Also this is for everyone please bring a portfolio with you to share your work! I'll get something written up and email to everyone in the very near future when it gets closer to the event!
Thanks Ted

Jim Graves
17-Nov-2011, 09:48
Ted ... please add me to the email/pm list.

Sideshow Bob
17-Nov-2011, 23:58
Hi Ted,
I'm kind of a outsider as I never met Per but if it is okay for me to come, it would be fun seeing you (and maybe Brian) again. Let me know.

Gale

Ted Stoddard
18-Nov-2011, 20:01
Gale your more than welcome to come it's been a while I can't wait to see everyone and for everyone else there is much more to come of these type of gatherings including some international locales!

PS if anyone has any ideas or people that might be interested in comng please let them know it's open to all formats and if you all have ideas send me a pm or email

Thanks Ted aka DT

Forrest Atkins
20-Nov-2011, 09:29
Hi Ted,

Oceano is near enough so pencil me in.

Ted Stoddard
20-Nov-2011, 15:19
This idea has been thrown out there and I think it be a good idea to help with the cost of lodging and gas so for those of you who may want to share a cost of these things please send me a PM so I can put some of you together or do a carpool! Please let me know if anyone has any questions or concerns!

Thanks Ted

Jim Fitzgerald
20-Nov-2011, 15:33
Ted, I'll have to check but the dunes just south of Oceano, the Guadalupe dunes I believe will be closed to human traffic sometime in February. The Snowy Prowler nesting season begins in this area and they have it all roped off. I have never explored Oceano so I can't speak about that area. I know that it is open to dune buggies. If it is just part of the area or all of it we need to find out. So if anyone knows please chime in. I'll be heading that way in a week or so and I can check out Guadalupe. Now as far as ULF's on the dunes. Be my guest. Not for me! I've gone out with the 8x10 and one lens and holders. It is a bitch. Anything bigger no thanks. At Guadalupe it is about a mile out to the prime spots.

Forrest Atkins
20-Nov-2011, 21:43
Just remembered, winds were definitely an issue when Jim, Bill thesis and I shot in the adjacent guadalupe dunes. Hiking to unspoiled areas was also a challenge with LF gear.

Migratory bird nesting Mar1 to Sept 30.

Here are a couple of links:
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25119
http://www.duneguide.com/sand_dune_guide_oceano_dunes.htm

Jim Fitzgerald
20-Nov-2011, 21:47
Forrest you da man!!!

Robert Oliver
20-Nov-2011, 22:07
I shoot out there all the time...

Feb. is a good time to visit.... except for winter storms which can be plentiful in Feb/Mar. Fog usually isn't a problem. Prior rains can help make the dunes easier to walk on.

The Guadalupe dunes are a little harder to reach since the Santa Maria River washed out the road to the parking area. The entire dune area around Cecil B. Demille's abandoned movie set ruins roped off the last time I was there.

I've never seen the Oceano Dunes closed off for the Snowy Plover, as long as you access from the east side. The Plover areas are usually closed closer to the ocean.

Here's a shot from a couple of years ago taken on the Northern end of the Oceano Dunes.... this was from late November

http://robertoliver.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v10/p1039505870-4.jpg

Robert Oliver
20-Nov-2011, 22:10
Here's the same area... a couple of days after a fairly heavy December rain.

http://robertoliver.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v30/p681601101-4.jpg

This is one of the shot's Per helped me with during one of his darkroom workshops...

Jim Fitzgerald
20-Nov-2011, 22:37
Robert those are some fine images! I've never been into the Oceano Dunes. Access from the East By Oso Flaco Lake? Or is there something I'm missing.

Tri Tran
20-Nov-2011, 23:53
I have never been there but it looks very nice . Very tempting too. Like Jim said... it's tough for ULF shooters unless we have a quad bike :)
Shooting sand dunes to be very tough scene for alternative printers in my opinion but the good thing is we can get together in honor of Per. I will definitely join if time permitted .

Robert Oliver
21-Nov-2011, 08:58
Oso Flaco is a fairly long walk and then a steep hike up a soft dune to get to the photogenic places... I access the Oceano Dunes on the very northern end.

If you stay at the RV park that is actually IN the dunes near the Arroyo Grande Creek you can literally step out of your RV into a fairly photogenic scene (footprints permitting) My photos were shot a fairly short distance from there.

Ted Stoddard
21-Nov-2011, 17:44
Robert

Thanks for chiming in and your images look tranquil and looking forward to seeing everyone and meeting some new people!

Forest I be very happy that you will be able to make it your appearance is always an interesting and fun time!

Also the quad idea has been passed around in the past about using them to get to far almost unreachable places especially for ULF shooters!

I will look into renting a few if people are interested?

I will be writing up a schedule of some sorts for the get together and hopefully some demonstrations on an alternative process or two!

In the next few months I'll be working on some Salt Prints to bring to share if my tests come out good (pray I do) lol

I'm also looking into a place to use in the area so everyone can share their portfolios

Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving and if I can I'll talk to Per's widow about purchasing one of his prints and raffling it off but no guarantees!

Thanks

Ted

please let the ideas keep coming

Robert Oliver
22-Nov-2011, 16:22
Perhaps you "REAL" camera guys could look into renting a beach wheel chair... for dragging all of that stuff back into the dunes. you wouldn't be able to take it up or down the steep stuff, but it might be an alternative to Per's jog stroller setup.

I know they rent them in Pismo Beach... probably here. http://www.wheelfunrentals.com

I've been thinking about getting something like this for my beach portrait shoots (small format) but would probably be pretty cool for you big camera guys.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM4150325701P?sid=IDx20101019x00001a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM4150325701

Michael Clark
23-Nov-2011, 23:32
A meeting place to share photo's and demonstrations of carbon would be great even if for one day.

Mike

madmax12
24-Nov-2011, 06:16
I believe I need to go to this one . Hope more details to follow for places to stay and such thank you for setting this up. I think I look into renting a quad to haul stuff around. Per and I had talked about that at Tonopah. Must meet my obligation craig

Michael Clark
24-Nov-2011, 06:59
Craig since Per is no longer with us,you could rent me one of those quad car thingy,that would release you of all obligation.
Mike

Ted Stoddard
24-Nov-2011, 20:59
Craig,

I second Mikes quote and I think Oceano would be a perfect tryout so you know how it will work in Tonopah Dunes! Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving!

Asher Kelman
24-Nov-2011, 21:54
Oso Flaco is a fairly long walk and then a steep hike up a soft dune to get to the photogenic places... I access the Oceano Dunes on the very northern end.

If you stay at the RV park that is actually IN the dunes near the Arroyo Grande Creek you can literally step out of your RV into a fairly photogenic scene (footprints permitting) My photos were shot a fairly short distance from there.

I'm so impressed, Robert by you intimate feeling for the dunes and advocacy of the national heritage of landscapes we can leave for others to enjoy in future generations Keep it up. In the area you are considering, are there also motels or is this just a camping/caravan site nearby. BTW, your own pictures are regal and impressive! Can't believe how you can sell a carbon print for $60!!!!! You're very generous sharing!

Does one need a special permit or meet certain standards to use large wheeled carts etc? Aren't there rules or else one might have 4-wheelers wreck the landscape!

I really would love to have some cart with big wheels as it can be hard to schlepp a large camera and lenses in the later years, LOL!

Asher

Ted Stoddard
25-Nov-2011, 12:50
I found this ATV rental place might be good for some of us.... http://www.bjsatvrentals.com/index.cfm

Asher Kelman
25-Nov-2011, 12:57
I found this ATV rental place might be good for some of us.... http://www.bjsatvrentals.com/index.cfm

Ted,

So how does one hold the gear? Just backpack? There seems to be no rack!

Asher

Ted Stoddard
25-Nov-2011, 13:39
Asher,

The Blue one has a rack on the back but I'm sure you can request one with a rack to hold the gear and i recommend you keep it in the backpack when not using the equipment.... as far as I know racks are easy to put on the back of one of these but I have never ridden one so I'm not even taking a chance on riding one of these beast... Also Robert Oliver suggested this place for a bunch of us to rent as a group here is the link I need feedback on this idea http://www.gotopismo.com/

It might be a good place to share prints and have the Carbon Demo if Jim is able to make it and it will also save on having to buy food out all the time with a full kitchen we can find the best cook out of us all....

Some of these places sleep 6-8 people but I'm sure we can squeeze in more people in this place without any issues also the cost will be shared equally with everyone coming!

Thanks Ted

Asher Kelman
25-Nov-2011, 14:12
Asher,

The Blue one has a rack on the back but I'm sure you can request one with a rack to hold the gear and i recommend you keep it in the backpack when not using the equipment.... as far as I know racks are easy to put on the back of one of these but I have never ridden one so I'm not even taking a chance on riding one of these beast... Also Robert Oliver suggested this place for a bunch of us to rent as a group here is the link I need feedback on this idea http://www.gotopismo.com/

It might be a good place to share prints and have the Carbon Demo if Jim is able to make it and it will also save on having to buy food out all the time with a full kitchen we can find the best cook out of us all....

Some of these places sleep 6-8 people but I'm sure we can squeeze in more people in this place without any issues also the cost will be shared equally with everyone coming!

Thanks Ted

So, Ted,

Are we confirmed for 24,25 and 26th? I'd love to make a scouting trip beforehand if anyone else is interested.

Asher

Ted Stoddard
25-Nov-2011, 14:50
Asher,

Yes the dates are confirmed, Feb 24,25&26 I might be there a day early but not sure yet also if you do a scouting trip before hand give me a call on my cell would love to hear a report!

The rental place is not reserved yet but still need feedback from the rest of the group

Thanks Ted

Brian Vuillemenot
25-Nov-2011, 19:26
I stayed at a cheap motel in Pismo Beach, I think it was an Econo Lodge, for about 40 bucks a night the one time I went to the Oceano Dunes. Less expensive than a group housing and a lot easier to coordinate. It was only about a mile from the beach where you can access the dunes. No need for an ATV- it's only a bit of walking, and ATVs are not allowed in the sections with the best dune formations and natural features for obvious reasons!

Asher Kelman
26-Nov-2011, 04:03
I stayed at a cheap motel in Pismo Beach, I think it was an Econo Lodge, for about 40 bucks a night the one time I went to the Oceano Dunes. Less expensive than a group housing and a lot easier to coordinate. It was only about a mile from the beach where you can access the dunes. No need for an ATV- it's only a bit of walking, and ATVs are not allowed in the sections with the best dune formations and natural features for obvious reasons!

Brian,

Is a simple cart with big wheels allowed?

Asher

Brian Vuillemenot
26-Nov-2011, 17:32
Brian,

Is a simple cart with big wheels allowed?

Asher

That would probably be fine on boardwalks and developed trails, but I don't know about on the open dunes. You could ask at the visitor center.

Sirius Glass
26-Nov-2011, 17:41
What boardwalks? I have not seen them there.

Steve

Tori Nelson
26-Nov-2011, 19:26
That would probably be fine on boardwalks and developed trails, but I don't know about on the open dunes. You could ask at the visitor center.

Are you thinking of the walkway at Oso Flaco? Going out to the Oceano Dunes, it's a really beautiful area and there is a ranger protected parking lot - always a plus!

Curt
27-Nov-2011, 21:18
Never been to Oceano Dunes,sounds like a good reason to go and take a look.

Mike

It does sound like a good thing, I was there briefly a few decades ago and would like to return.

Curt

Robert Oliver
29-Nov-2011, 09:10
There is a board walk at Oso Flaco.... but it goes across the lake and into some heavily vegetated dunes. There is a gate you can walk through before the boardwalk that will get you into a big set of dunes, but i don't think you would be able to get a cart through the gate and pretty sure it would be impossible to get it up the first big dune anyway. I haven't shot there The sand at Oso Flaco always felt deeper and softer than the dunes at Oceano to me anyway. Would be a tough climb.

If you entered through the RV Park on the north/east section of the dunes (google the Oceano Livery Stables) You would have to get permission from the RV Campground to use their road. With permission, this is absolutely the easiest way into my favorite place to shoot.

There is a small board walk through some tiny tunes in Grover Beach between the golf course and the restaurant, but not much to shoot imho.

Robert Oliver
29-Nov-2011, 09:12
and as far as the ATV goes... it could be useful if you drove to the far south or north ends of the dunes and jump the fence, but anything in the Off Road vehicle area is usually pretty beat up. January wouldn't be as bad as summer though.

dperez
29-Nov-2011, 09:56
I'm down for the rental. Have you have nailed down a price per person yet?

williamtheis
29-Nov-2011, 11:16
Forrest just clued me in on the remembrance get together. Please count me in. I would share a campsite if one can be found.

anyone wanting to carpool from the SF Bay Area, contact me

Bill Theis
http://imageworkx.us

Robert Oliver
29-Nov-2011, 11:41
this is the campground if you are interested in shooting the Oceano Dunes...

no others offer access like this. Get the right site and you can set up your camera in your campsite and get some pretty cool shots without stepping away from your satellite tv and refrigerator.

http://www.rvonthego.com/Pacific-Dunes-Ranch.html

williamtheis
29-Nov-2011, 16:09
looks like $47/nite for an RV but no tent sites.... i may just try to stay in one of the state parks...

Michael Clark
29-Nov-2011, 20:45
Thats what I was thinking Bill, and I'll get one of those canoe tents to put on the roof of my PU like Forrest has, I be styling big.

joselsgil
30-Nov-2011, 19:01
Micheal,

You can always get one of these tents. They might be a better option in windy areas.

Jose

www.tentsonsuvs.com/truck_camper_top_tents.htm

Ted Stoddard
30-Nov-2011, 21:37
I'm down for the rental. Have you have nailed down a price per person yet?

If your talking about the ATV rentals that is just an option not a requirement and its up to each individual to check on those prices and do some research on the cost associated with it...

On another note I need everyone who is going to email me so i can email everyone the get together info by January 1st

slvrgltndrkrm/at/aoldotcom

thanks Ted

This includes people who i may or may not have your email address already

subject line needs to say Oceano Dunes 2012

please dont send me a PM my inbox is almost full

Michael Clark
1-Dec-2011, 16:26
Micheal,

You can always get one of these tents. They might be a better option in windy areas.

Jose

www.tentsonsuvs.com/truck_camper_top_tents.htm
Hay, that looks like it would work ok, and the price ant bad. Thanks Jose. Are you coming also and taking your war wagon,be good to see you out there.

Mike

Michael Clark
1-Dec-2011, 16:40
Ted can't get your email to work?
Mike

Ted Stoddard
1-Dec-2011, 20:16
Mike

ok guys lets try this lol

slvrgltndrkrm@aol.com

you were suppose to omit the stuff not needed lol

joselsgil
3-Dec-2011, 14:54
Hay, that looks like it would work ok, and the price ant bad. Thanks Jose. Are you coming also and taking your war wagon,be good to see you out there.

Mike

Micheal,

I hope to make it. I will know if I can as the date approaches. It is too early to make it a yes, at this time. Hopefully by then, the Volvo wagon will be replaced with something better suited to offroad camping.

Jose

Michael Clark
3-Dec-2011, 15:30
Jose, how 'bout a 95 Izuso PU White and has 4 tire's(sort of),optional dark blue camper shale.
Mike

Curt
3-Dec-2011, 18:15
Aren't motels "off road"? :)

Michael Clark
3-Dec-2011, 19:31
Jose, you can ride with me in the Izuso, plenty of room for gear.
Mike

Stephen Lumry
3-Dec-2011, 20:36
Sure would like to go, time is money and I have neither. Also, I am still recovering from Tonopah margarita poisoning and don’t think I can take a chance that Eddie might show up.

Michael Clark
3-Dec-2011, 20:51
Raw egg in a warm beer will fix you right up Steve, hitch a ride with Curt and come on down, be good seeing you again,and don't forget your sand shoe's.

Mike

madmax12
4-Dec-2011, 06:45
I tried to send a email also . Please place me on the list email cdinsdale@mac.com

ghostcount
5-Dec-2011, 14:20
I'm in.

Ted Stoddard
5-Dec-2011, 18:20
If email doesnt work send me a pm and include your email and I'll send out emails asap

@ Stephen just hitch a ride I'm sure we can fit you in somewhere but I don't think Eddie is coming and I promise no poisonous margaritas lol

Ted Stoddard
5-Dec-2011, 22:15
For those of you who have emailed I have received them and some I responded to if I didn't respond no worries I'll send more info when I get all it down to send out to everyone!

Thanks Ted

Curt
6-Dec-2011, 00:52
I'm flying down to LA, Mike said his truck was ready to go. :)

I don't know at this point Stephen is getting time off the big problem? If I go I'll be renting a car and driving down. As we get closer let me know what your plans are.

eddie
6-Dec-2011, 05:34
Sure would like to go, time is money and I have neither. Also, I am still recovering from Tonopah margarita poisoning and don’t think I can take a chance that Eddie might show up.

if i am not in bangkok i may have to show......

Ted Stoddard
6-Dec-2011, 07:27
Should be another interesting time if your able to make it Eddie

Michael Clark
6-Dec-2011, 08:13
if i am not in bangkok i may have to show......
YA!! That would would be great Eddie,don't forget to pack some heat with your camera, those emulsion eating Pismo beach sand squirrels can get a little aggressive this time of the year. Haha,and a hardy har har to you.

Mike

Curt
6-Dec-2011, 09:18
Snapple and Colt 45!

Michael Clark
6-Dec-2011, 09:56
Thats funny Curt.

Curt
6-Dec-2011, 20:13
Mike, since my browser doesn't support LFF I'm not on as much here.

The get together appears to be growing and should be a great time. I hope I can make it down there.

madmax12
7-Dec-2011, 07:43
EDDIE is coming OH lord not again . look forward to seeing you

Asher Kelman
7-Dec-2011, 11:07
I can meet meet one or two persons at LAX to drive up to the shoot.

Asher

Michael Clark
7-Dec-2011, 14:51
That would be great Asher,I think Eddy might be flying in to LA airport or bangkok?
Mike

Hugo Zhang
7-Dec-2011, 21:59
So can I take my 16x20 or not? I can not hike with it more than 500 yards from the car. If yes, Tri may come with his 20x24.

Asher Kelman
8-Dec-2011, 01:24
That would be great Asher,I think Eddy might be flying in to LA airport or bangkok?
Mike

My BMW flies, but Bangkok is not on the menu!

LA Airport is fine!

Let's have some info for the ULF guys. How far does one have to schlepp things? I really would like to do a survey with my Ricoh GXR and my new Globuscope 65mm 4x5 toy! Anyone interested in surveying the place in the second half of January?

Asher

Ted Stoddard
8-Dec-2011, 04:23
Hugo

I'll get in touch with someone at Oceano and see about carts and etc unless someone else can chime in sooner

Also I'll be @ Camp Pendleton/Oceanside from February 17 to 22 than flying into San Jose for the rest of the time I'll be driving down and if I can accomodate anyone I'll be more than happy to share the ride down so if anyone needs a ride from the Bay Area let me know I'm planning on going down a day early than everyone else!

The idea of having a 16x20 & 20x24 would be so cool please come and I'll get that info asap!

Thanks

Colt 45 & Snapple sounds like it make a great tshirt lol

Michael Clark
8-Dec-2011, 07:43
Ah, its Snapple and Colt 45.You are working pretty hard at this Ted, hope we can have a meeting place.In the mean time I'm hunting for a fog filter.

Mike

Jim Fitzgerald
8-Dec-2011, 08:00
Hiking in the sand with ULF is not an option for me. 8x10 is the max.

Curt
8-Dec-2011, 08:46
I agree, even with 8x10 it seems like uphill both ways lugging around in sand. At a minimum 5x7, maximum 8x10.

Robert Oliver
8-Dec-2011, 12:16
It's pretty easy if you stay at the Pacific Dunes RV resort... I posted a link earlier.

Everything else is A MAJOR schlepp!

Even with a sand cart...

Robert Oliver
8-Dec-2011, 12:22
Here is the view from pretty much the upper most campground at the Pacific Dunes resort....

If it was me? and I was dragging around one of those behemoth cameras, I would rent an RV and have it delivered to the resort and camp pretty much where the dunites once lived.

This shot is with my cell phone camera during the 'soft sand' month of September

Asher Kelman
8-Dec-2011, 14:00
Here is the view from pretty much the upper most campground at the Pacific Dunes resort....

If it was me? and I was dragging around one of those behemoth cameras, I would rent an RV and have it delivered to the resort and camp pretty much where the dunites once lived.

This shot is with my cell phone camera during the 'soft sand' month of September

That cell phone picture is already pretty nice! What RV company would you use? I know nothing about that but it seems such a great idea!

Asher

Robert Oliver
8-Dec-2011, 14:12
something like this... I think they will drive it to the site, set it up and pick it up for you.

http://www.centralcoastrv.com/

This is the off-season, so sites and rentals should be easy.

Robert Oliver
8-Dec-2011, 14:20
I know the dunes pretty darn well... growing up right next to them and photographing them as often as I can.

This is, by far, the easiest option for getting ULF into the best section of dunes in my opinion. Hopefully I'll be there with my little sub-miniature 4x5 camera....

I sometimes park there and take a rough little trail that skirts the RV resort, with the full understanding that they could have me towed at any time they wanted since I am parking on their private property. I always go by myself, and make sure I don't disturb any of their guests. So far, I've never had a problem.

Asher Kelman
8-Dec-2011, 14:22
Just to be sure, the dates are Feb 24,25 & 26th? One thing I've been told is that the double size RV bed is really what is a single bed in any other parlance. So don't think that two 240lb guys, even if friendly can squeeze into one double RV bed.

Asher

Robert Oliver
8-Dec-2011, 14:47
On a positive note, wouldn't need as many blankets though...

Just to be sure, the dates are Feb 24,25 & 26th? One thing I've been told is that the double size RV bed is really what is a single bed in any other parlance. So don't think that two 240lb guys, even if friendly can squeeze into one double RV bed.

Asher

Ted Stoddard
8-Dec-2011, 15:03
Asher

Yes the dates are confirmed! I'm working on a meeting place give me time guys it's not easy I'm 3 hours ahead of you western boys so I'm making lots of phone calls mañana

The sand carts sound like a great idea and I may have to order one for myself!!

I'll post and get something written up asap!

Michael Clark
8-Dec-2011, 19:33
You are doing a fine job Ted. Maybe we could all pitch a couple of bucks and hire Mark as our guide.

Mike

KevinR
9-Dec-2011, 02:20
Hi all,

I'm an outsider here. I have shot 4x5 though, if that helps. Here's an IR I shot at Convict Lake (Eastern Sierra): http://freightyard.net/cheridy/ConvictLakeIR.jpg.

I'm a local near Oceano Dunes and have been lurking here a couple weeks as I'm a huge park advocate. I can help answer any questions or put you in touch with the right people who can. I want to throw out a couple things at you:

Carts: All I can say is you'll need something with awfully darn big wheels to go through the sand out there. Might be helpful in the flats, but any incline--especially a slip face--and you're going to be carrying the cart.

My next thought is all this large format stuff in a big group is going to make you a prime target for questions about a film permit. I'm guessing at least one of you sells your art commercially and I'd definitely settle that issue with park staff before making a trip.

Your dates are good. It's the weekend after President's weekend (I think?). President's is a crowded holiday, but the weekend after should be fair. Week days would be better for your purposes (less foot prints around), but you can always find virgin dunes if the wind is blowing or you hike far enough.

Pacific Dunes RV park is ideal. The Pismo Dune Preserve, which is what you walk into from the RV park, is closed to OHV use (and dogs off-leash). Oso Flaco is another excellent area, but the long boardwalk out is a bit of a haul. May I suggest you look into Pacific Adventure Tours Hummer Tours?

http://www.pacificadventuretours.com/

Perhaps you could arrange a ride to the south end of the open OHV riding area (and a tour throughout the riding area). From the south end of the park there is a gate where you can access the Oso Flaco boardwalk just about 200 yards from the beach. The boardwalk has been improved and goes all the way to the beach now. From that gate you can also follow the boardwalk east to Oso Flaco lake which is a very scenic area to take photos from the boardwalk which crosses over the center of the lake.

I personally wouldn't stay at the rental houses you linked to earlier in this thread. They are a long way from Oceano and premium priced.

Snowy Plover nesting season starts in March. The nesting areas won't be roped off yet in February. This **should** apply to Rancho Guadalupe Dunes as well. Of course, you should check with Santa Barbara County Parks on that, but the dunes there are very scenic. Since the road washed out you have to hike a long way to the beach, but a cart would work very well at this location since you're on the road most of the way and the rest is fairly flat hard pack sand.

Winds could be a problem. The windy season is typically considered March and April and winds blow hardest in the mid to late afternoon. Morning would be prime shooting time. I've completely destroyed one video camera shooting in the wind. Of course I was putting the camera right down to the ground in the saltating (blowing) sand grains! Video came out great though... have a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX7AZTUxwcA

Bring bags that can tightly close around your equipment if you go out in the wind. Even a loose bag will gather sand inside; tape it or rubber band it shut. Before opening anything, brush/blow/shake out sand from loose bag ends/flaps and from around the crack where cases open. Bring brushes and compressed air. You'll spend a lot of time each night cleaning and you'll take home tons of sand no matter how hard you try not to.

Off limits areas: Pretty much if you hop a fence it's at your own risk. There are several Chumash Indian middens (a fancy name for a trash heap) which are pretty neat. These are protected archaeological sites (despite that they've been rummaged through plenty in the early/mid 1900s). Most of the closed areas are State Park property, some of it is SLO Land Conservancy, some is private (Dunes Lakes), some is oil company property. Getting caught ranges from being asked to leave to a citation. Probably would jeopardize any film permit also.

I suggest you create a community Google Map and scope out the areas you want to visit and mark up the map with the tools and flag pins available in Google Maps. The Google imagery is very good and you can zoom right in for a virtual tour. There's not much of any of the Dunite sites left, but I have some 1939 and 1958 aerial imagery that shows where the cabins used to be. The last remaining cabin has been moved behind the Oceano Railroad Depot on Highway 1 in downtown Oceano.

Pet peeve: The stupid dune grass is Ammophila Arenaria (European dune grass) and it's an invasive weed planted by the hundreds of acres to stop blowing sand last century. Everyone takes photos of the stupid grass... the city of Grover Beach even ignorantly features the weed grass on the city web page (http://www.grover.org/). It's a dang weed! It's not natural. It's invasive. Same with ice plant (Carpobrotus Edulis). Don't feature weeds in your "natural" photos. I can point you to what the native plants are if you want plant images. Rant over.

The Ten Commandments site at Guadalupe was recently in the process of being excavated. I'm not sure what the status of that is. There was some funding issues and they may be holding off for now. Call the Dunes Center (http://www.dunescenter.org/) in Guadalupe and I'm certain they can answer questions and offer help.

Sounds like an awesome trip.

Kevin

Curt
9-Dec-2011, 13:25
A very general question; approximately how far is it from any parking to the dunes? In feet, yards or miles, no inches or centimeters please.

I don't want to use a cart, sherpa, dune buggy, rv drop off, horse, mule, helicopter, boat or hang glider. OK, I'm good with a mule but the others are out.

KevinR
9-Dec-2011, 15:03
A very general question; approximately how far is it from any parking to the dunes? In feet, yards or miles, no inches or centimeters please.

Well that's a bit of an ambiguous question--- depends on where in the dunes. If you're talking about the Pismo Dunes Preserve, then the RV campground is the best access. There's parking right next to the trash dumpsters in the RV campground right next to the dunes access. Of course that's private property, so if you don't park on their property you've got a couple hundred yards. But if someone is staying in the campground I'd be surprised if they don't allow visitors to park. You might want to make special arrangements if a whole crowd of cars wants to "visit" though.

If you park on Pier Avenue in Oceano it's a long walk. Half a mile or so, plus the Arroyo Grande Creek will be flowing in February and that's going to be a wade without a vehicle! But, you can pay $5 and drive your car right onto the beach and park right next to the Preserve (on the ocean side of the Preserve, as opposed to the RV campground which is on the east side of the Preserve). If your car can handle a few inches of water, then you can drive right across the creek. BUT, if it has been raining recently then the creek can become impassable.

If your destination is Guadalupe Dunes then you park right on the roadway (before the washout) and you'll basically be right in Guadalupe Dunes. It's a good 1/2-mile to 1-mile to get to the beach, but you don't need to go all the way to the beach, right? Check with Santa Barbara parks department to see what the restrictions are in hiking into the dunes. Like I said previously, February isn't plover nesting season so I believe you can pretty much go anywhere. Except I'd bet the Ten Commandments site is off limits.

If you want to hike into Oso Flaco, you park at the parking lot and walk in on the boardwalk. It's a fairly short distance to the lake, then another 1/2-mile to the beach and dunes.

Michael Clark
9-Dec-2011, 17:22
Like I was saying,if we all pitch in a couple of bucks we could hire Kelvin as our guide (sorry Mark). Ha,Ha just joking.Kevin that's great info, we will die-guest it and come up with a plan,Ted is our fearless leader but needs input from us to organize a plan. So lets get ideas going back and forth as a starting place. Mark and Kevin if you want to join use you are more than welcome and thank you for your input.
Mike

Michael Clark
9-Dec-2011, 17:33
I know the dunes pretty darn well... growing up right next to them and photographing them as often as I can.

This is, by far, the easiest option for getting ULF into the best section of dunes in my opinion. Hopefully I'll be there with my little sub-miniature 4x5 camera....

I sometimes park there and take a rough little trail that skirts the RV resort, with the full understanding that they could have me towed at any time they wanted since I am parking on their private property. I always go by myself, and make sure I don't disturb any of their guests. So far, I've never had a problem.
Robert, just read your post,I was thinking of the same line as you about renting an RV for the home base were we all could meet at certain times of the day. if has to be large enough for a formal meeting to organize stuff and I will look in to it on my end. Hope you will be there to meet you .

Mike Clark

KevinR
9-Dec-2011, 18:33
Like I was saying,if we all pitch in a couple of bucks we could hire Kelvin

Money? AT YOUR SERVICE, SIR!! :D

Seriously, use Google maps to scope things out. Try this one that shows the Pismo Dunes Nature Preserve outlined in green (I hope--Google maps is kinda finicky):

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=209582439921037681555.0004383cc2462734c0de3&msa=0&ll=35.088942,-120.615292&spn=0.031253,0.055189

Other line work on this map shows the open vehicle recreation area and state lands.

To the east of the vehicle areas (not enclosed by lines) is closed lands. To the south of the open vehicle area but still inside the state park (Oceano Dunes State Vehicular Recreation Area) is Oso Flaco. South of that (outside the lines) is the National Wildlife Refuge (very tough access and mostly closed). Way south is Guadalupe.

Hope this helps.

Robert Oliver
9-Dec-2011, 19:24
look for the Pacific Dunes Resort in the middle of the map... If you get one of the upper sites, you will have arguably the most photogenic section of the dunes right at your front door.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=209582439921037681555.0004383cc2462734c0de3&msa=0&ll=35.090391,-120.617142&spn=0.003705,0.008256&iwloc=lyrftr:msid:209582439921037681555.0004383cc2462734c0de3,00047d4cf69f97c49af49,35.090487,-120.617266

Michael Clark
9-Dec-2011, 21:30
Lets toss all this around, put in personal ideas and see what we come up with,Christmas is around the corner so that is family time.Starting in January we can work on concrete,(Jim's fort-ay) plans.
Mike

Curt
10-Dec-2011, 00:38
That's a great idea Mike, I don't know about the others but I'm on overload.

Michael Clark
11-Dec-2011, 13:28
Just bought a sand dune tri pod, but its got spikes?? Its made of wood any how.
Mike

Ted Stoddard
14-Dec-2011, 13:48
Mike, Sand Dunes tripod what kind?

AA just used a thin piece of plywood he called it a 3 point folding star to use in the dunes I'm thinking about making one of these for myself and of course long plastic sleeves for keeping the sand out of the legs! Yes after the holidays so everyone has family time! No worries or overloads!

Michael Clark
14-Dec-2011, 23:18
I have been thinking about 3 Friz-bee's may be or that star you mentioned and a few others, but have not come up with anything yet. Gostcount and I were going to drive up there fore a day or two and test the sands as it were, try some sand shoes and camera baggies, suppose to be getting a wooden tripod here soon and like to try that out also.

Mike

Jan Pietrzak
15-Dec-2011, 08:57
Ted, Michael

Go over to REI or any ski shop, look at trecking/ski pole ends. About 3.5 to 4 inch rounds for the end of the poles. Or get some masonite cut into 3 to 4 inch rounds, put hole in middle for tripod spikes. Just remember to pick them up when done or make more than 3 to take with. Oh Ted forget the baggies get a wooden/Ries tripod to use.

Jan Pietrzak

Michael Clark
15-Dec-2011, 10:13
Thanks Jan. I'm buying a Brelack (sp) tripod that has spikes, I have a Manfrotto with side locks and have used it in sand, but it jammed up so thought I'd try a wood tripod.

You say the baggies do'nt work Jan, I know you are in a sandy area so you must have tried them , hate to get sand in camera and lens.
Mike

Jan Pietrzak
15-Dec-2011, 12:50
Michael,

Bags for snow, rain and sand on camera stuff is fine. I use a space blanket (a heavy one) as a ground cloth when out in the field. And use wood tripods all the time outside. I remember one of my workshop students spending most of the day cleaning all the parts of a metal tripod. Sand, salt water and mud is not fun to deal with.

Jan Pietrzak

Robert Oliver
15-Dec-2011, 14:54
avoid putting your stuff on the ground, even with a ground cloth, especially when windy.

to me... baggies just seem like a great way to mate lenses and sand together.

as far as tripod legs go, I try to always keep my bottom legs extended, unless I go for a really low camera angle. I also try to pre-sink them into the sand before I start shooting. Of course you will end up having to clean out your legs if you are using carbon or aluminum versions.

Michael Clark
30-Dec-2011, 12:38
Randy and I did a fast recon of Oceano Dunes Wednesday and checked out a few good spots for camping with RVs or day visit.The main ATV part has some venders that rent atv's for day use and as far as camping there we did not see any tents but mostly Hugh fifth wheel trailers, how they got those things into and out of the soft sand i don't know.There are restrooms, and dumping station for RV. Reservations required 48hr's ahead of time limited to 1000 street legal vehicles a day, "wheew" thats a lot. When we drove thru, it did not seem that crowded.

The Pacific Dunes RV Dunes Park looked the best for access to the ATV Restricted area of the park which does not have tire tracks all over the faces of the Dunes. But you need a n RV to stay there .

Guadalupe Dunes County Park looks like good access to the Dunes also from your car, don't think there is camping . Will check into that later. Oso Flaco Day use looks promising also but did not have time to visit. A 1 mile broad walk to beach and has parking lot and Restrooms.

I'm sure there are other options but those are the ones I we came up with. And thanks KevinR and Robert for your input and really liked those ODSVRA maps. They show so many little and bigger Parks and places to visit around there.

Mike

Curt
30-Dec-2011, 22:31
Thanks Mike,

I started to think of the movie Vacation as I read it though.

Clark: I'm just trying to treat my family to a little fun.
Ellen Griswold: Oh spare me, Clark, I know your brand of family fun. Tomorrow you'll probably kill the desk clerk, hold up a McDonalds, and drive us 1000 miles out of the way to see the world's largest pile of mud!

Somehow I don't see myself lugging a ULF several miles from a tent in the sand to a 'difficult to walk on' mountain of sand.

I'm more of the motel to the dune kind of person, unless it's a week with Jim F. At Yosemite. I do plan on being there, which camera and what orthopedic devices is yet to be decided. Insert smiley faces here.

Michael Clark
31-Dec-2011, 00:35
Well Curt did not mean to make a bad impression , its not to far a walk really, and sand is soft on the foot.
Mike

Curt
31-Dec-2011, 01:25
Hey Mike, you must know my sense of humor by now. Geez I hope you know the Clark in the quote was Clark Griswold from the movie Vacation.

I haven't been there for decades, there were a lot of dune buggies back then. I bet when Brett Weston was there and then told his father Edward about it in the 1930's it was very secluded. I remember in the fifties how crooked, narrow and desolate the highways were before the big interstate occurred, thanks to president Eisenhower for fixing a lot of that.

Jim Fitzgerald
31-Dec-2011, 08:53
Guys, work out! Try rock hopping with a 14x17 on your back! Sand is soft but I would still take my smallest camera with me. 8x10 baby!

Michael Clark
31-Dec-2011, 10:04
Jim, I was going to take my 4x5 and have Curt or Randy carry my tripod,can'nt get much lighter than that.

Curt , just pulling your leg,the movie with Chevy Chase, when he explanes to the cop why there is a dog leash and collar tied to his back bumper.

Mike

ghostcount
31-Dec-2011, 10:21
Jim, I was going to take my 4x5 and have Curt or Randy carry my tripod,can'nt get much lighter than that.

Curt , just pulling your leg,the movie with Chevy Chase, when he explanes to the cop why there is a dog leash and collar tied to his back bumper.

Mike

Curt can carry the tripod, I'll carry the Frisbee. :D

Michael Clark
31-Dec-2011, 10:25
That will work,maybe I will take the 5x7!!

Mike

Curt
31-Dec-2011, 10:48
I'm skydiving in! My electric sand dune cart should be here any day Mike.
I'm bringing my black beauty too, 8x10 Seneca with extension and my 5x7. The Seneca isn't all that heavy, Mike is carrying my wood tripod and accessory kit so it's easy as...

Michael Clark
31-Dec-2011, 18:32
Who's carrying what??

Curt
31-Dec-2011, 22:47
Who's carrying what??

Since you did the scout out, you can carry all the equipment.

madmax12
5-Jan-2012, 06:38
OK I have the time off. I will be there . I checked out a motor home 500.00 to drive there and back. Not sure if wife is coming ,but my cameras will be with me. Mike what are doing going there early. You get to carry my stuff too.

Michael Clark
5-Jan-2012, 08:37
I resign as chief scout!! Craig, if your wife don,t go can you pick up me and Randy, we could split the 500 three ways. Did your estimation include rental and gas. Can you tow a car behind it, split three ways and maybe four would be nice. Promise we will not drink all of your beer in the frig on the way up there.

Mike

ghostcount
5-Jan-2012, 09:55
...Promise we will not drink all of your beer in the frig on the way up there.

Mike

I can't promise about your film though... :D

Michael Clark
5-Jan-2012, 13:32
Three cheers for madmax12, free beer,free film, and free ride. What a guy!!!

Michael Clark
5-Jan-2012, 15:00
Have been looking at these rental condos or sweets,that Ted mentioned http://www.gotopismo.com/rates.html. Not to bad for 6 to 8 people,around $200 a person (6 persons) for a week, has stove frigs two bed rooms two baths living room TV barque two couch beds Kitchen,don't know how much parking.

Mike

madmax12
6-Jan-2012, 05:56
If you all want to go I better get a larger RV. Gas will be the difference. Should be able to get there on one tank or less. how much is rv park. If towing car that is probably more. I was hoping one of you would come and pick me up each day LOL. I will do further investigation.

Hugo Zhang
6-Jan-2012, 08:52
i say to get a larger rv and i will bring my 1620 and a sleep bag and chip in my share.:)

Michael Clark
6-Jan-2012, 11:57
The Pacific Dunes RV park would be the most convenient. An extra car that we could pile into to go the other places would be great. May be find one of those Hechto De Mexico 9 passenger vans that take the migrant workers to the fields, could be a free ticket to get to some out of the way places.

Mike

Michael Clark
6-Jan-2012, 13:20
Hugo, I was talking to my wife about the trip and told her about the large camera you have and how hard it would be to get threw the sand. She mentioned using a boogie board with a rope, pull it like a slide over the sand, just an idea !

Mike

ghostcount
6-Jan-2012, 14:54
Excellent idea. Body boards are too expensive though so try these...

http://www.amazon.com/Paricon-625-Toddler-Boggan-Sleds/dp/B000LF8XSU/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1325887010&sr=8-9

http://www.amazon.com/Ice-Meister-Slicer-All-Season-Sled/dp/B000YP6550/ref=pd_sbs_sg_7

Michael Clark
6-Jan-2012, 16:07
I was thinking of cheap boogie boards , but those even look better.

Mike

Robert Oliver
6-Jan-2012, 16:32
sounds like a great way to infuse sand into camera bag / cameras...

I try to keep my gear away from the sand as much as possible. Still think the sand carts or sand wheel chairs would be the way to go.

Michael Clark
6-Jan-2012, 18:44
Well, we could have a competition between Jim and Hugo, one with sand cart and the other with sand sled pulling up a large dune. Just one of the activity's we can schedule during our stay at the Dunes.

Mike

Michael Clark
7-Jan-2012, 11:56
Pacific Dunes RV Park limit's 4 adults per site and one car besides RV. Although I got permission to have 6 adults for RV pretty easy. $47 t0 $55 a site per nite.

Mike

madmax12
7-Jan-2012, 14:28
soon as I am better 5 will go see how much a larger RV is . It would be fun to shoot 16x20 Hugo.

Michael Clark
16-Jan-2012, 16:51
Well any body come up with any Ideas about Oceano,? Ted?

Feeling better Craig,Curt are you going to make it down here. Going to be nice warm and sunny,fresh ocean breeze, great shots at sundown of the dunes or ocean. I can here Per barking out now "what are you sitting around here for MAN,get going"

Mike

Ted Stoddard
16-Jan-2012, 17:19
Hey Sorry guys been crazy busy and my contacts have been very slow to answer my questions but I'm still working on a few ideas but I think it's going to be up to others on accommodations for places to stay as I'm more than likely bunking with Brian V. Also I have to make phone calls this week to local restaurants that have the space to meet up space for us all but if I can swing the money I'm going to rent a condo for at least one day! I'm also looking at making California my home once again permanently!

Anybody who has not confirmed they are making it please send me a PM also anybody who might need to carpool please coordinate with others who are going to save on gas!

Thanks more info to come asap! Per would be with us I'm sure of that!

Michael Clark
16-Jan-2012, 18:49
Hello Ted, Ive looked into those condo's that Mark mentioned and they look good and can sleep a enough people to make the rent reasonable even cheaper than motels.This is off season right now and there are lots of deals going around.

When you get back give me an email so we can hook up.

Mike

Leszek Vogt
16-Jan-2012, 22:22
I think that's really cool that you guys are doing this. I used to live in Oceano and in SLO....and occasionally miss it. Wish I could go....even with my lowly 4x5. You seem to have the lodging all tied together....camping (RV or tents), especially during a week will likely be available at the Pismo State Park just No of the Oceano Dunes and off Rte 1.

For those that like rocky coast (especially after a storm) and have time for some exploration, there is a real nice park near Los Osos...Montana de Oro. And, if you go there you'll also spot the iconic Morro Bay Rock near there.

Oceano also has this Melodrama show (as in entertainment), but you may have to find the times for that on their website.

Alrightie, enjoy.

Les

Michael Clark
16-Jan-2012, 23:16
Thanks for the info Les, will have to check out those areas you mentioned.If you are in the area the same time as us do stop by and say hello or better yet grab a camera and join us.

Mike

Ted Stoddard
22-Jan-2012, 10:32
Hey everyone I know I promised more info but I been sick and so I'm feeling better and I'll get stuff written out tonight and be sent out to everyone also I might be renting one of the condos I mentioned before as a base of operations and to have a place for everyone to eat at so it saves on money as well! Plus a place to do demos and share prints it will be a last minute thing on the condo I got someone looking into it more for me! Thanks for everyones patience!

Ted

seabee1999
22-Jan-2012, 14:24
I would be interested in attending. Currently I am deployed to Spain but should be home sometime the weekend before this event. I'll read over the previous posts for more details.

God Bless,
David

Ted Stoddard
22-Jan-2012, 14:34
David,

It will be our honor to have you come for this event! Please send me an email or pm with your info thanks again

Ted

Ted Stoddard
23-Jan-2012, 19:24
OK I'm working on the final list of guest speakers and I might have a really big guest speaker coming just working out the final details but what I need from everyone is a head count and what area do you guys want to shoot first on that Friday? So I can put it down and email it to everyone? The people who know the area I want to hear from you especially what area would be a good start for the first day?

Thanks Ted

williamtheis
26-Jan-2012, 12:50
do we post our preferences here? so what's the final choice for where everyone is staying?

Ted Stoddard
26-Jan-2012, 13:00
Everyone I suggest making hotel/motel reservations at a place like Motel 6 in Pismo Beach just in case the Condo deal falls through just so you have a place to stay I know some others are looking into an RV as well! Motel 6 is $60 a night in Pismo Beach!

Make sure you don't get charged if you don't cancel the reservations in 24hrs of your stay!

Camping is ok too

Michael Clark
5-Feb-2012, 20:43
Getting close to together .

Brian Vuillemenot
5-Feb-2012, 21:28
Hey Ted, any updates on the condo situation?

Hugo Zhang
7-Feb-2012, 11:21
So who is renting a big RV? Any space left for me with a sleeping bag and a 16x20 camera, a tripod plus a few holders and lenses? Foods in RV? Cost for the RV? I think Asher is going to give me a ride there from LA.

Michael Clark
7-Feb-2012, 11:36
Hugo, think the big RV idea got a flat tire,think I will camp at Pacific camp grounds. Better take up Asher's offer, don't want to be left out in the cold.

Mike

Hugo Zhang
7-Feb-2012, 12:26
But how can I haull my 16x20 gear from the camp ground aa to the way to the spot for the best shots?

seabee1999
7-Feb-2012, 13:32
This is one of 2 trips Iam really looking forward to within the next few weeks. The other is to Yosemite on March 5-8. For the Yosemite one, I'll be staying at the Ostrander Ski Hut (reservation for 2 but still don't have a snowshoing/XC ski partner). Overall, for me this year I will finally be at home for most of the year. Currently I am still deployed to Spain but that ends in a few more days.

God Bless,
David

Michael Clark
7-Feb-2012, 14:06
Eather put it in Asher's car or Curt's car,or madmax's car or in the back of my PU.

Hugo Zhang
7-Feb-2012, 15:27
I mean from my reading the shortest hike from parking to the spot where you can take a shot is over a mile. I can not do that with my 16x20.

Asher Kelman
7-Feb-2012, 15:48
I mean from my reading the shortest hike from parking to the spot where you can take a shot is over a mile. I can not do that with my 16x20.

I thought we were going to rent sand buggies, buy plastic sleds or some other sand friendly shlepping system????

So what's now technically and practically feasible?

Asher

Forrest Atkins
8-Feb-2012, 12:31
Hugo, think the big RV idea got a flat tire,think I will camp at Pacific camp grounds. Better take up Asher's offer, don't want to be left out in the cold.

Mike
Bill T and I are camping at Pismo State Beach. I have a 4WD 4runner but not sure I'll do any sand running.

Michael Clark
8-Feb-2012, 13:37
Bill T and I are camping at Pismo State Beach. I have a 4WD 4runner but not sure I'll do any sand running.
Well take Hugo with you,he's got a big 'ole monkey on his back and needs all the transporting in the sand he can get!!
I was going to camp out at that Pacific Dunes place , suppose to be right next to the non vechical Dune area.Half to check if its closed for the migrating birds first.

Mike

Ted Stoddard
8-Feb-2012, 17:04
The condos are booked up for the dates but I found two beach houses and have someone working on the rental of both places since the houses are side by side to each other and there will be plenty of room for everyone! Brian give me a call when you get the chance thanks

Stephen Lumry
8-Feb-2012, 21:27
Thankfully, it looks like this adventure is better organized than the Tonopah ones. I wish I could be there. :rolleyes:

Michael Clark
8-Feb-2012, 23:31
My son will be coming down on leave from Army duty that week end , I will be spending time with him and not be able to attend this group meet up. All have a good time and make some great Photographs.

Mike

seabee1999
8-Feb-2012, 23:50
My son will be coming down on leave from Army duty that week end , I will be spending time with him and not be able to attend this group meet up. All have a good time and make some great Photographs.

Mike

Enjoy your time with your son. Please express my thanks to him for serving.

God Bless,
David

Curt
9-Feb-2012, 00:37
My wife and I will be out on our anniversary so I won't be able to attend. Have a great time.

Asher Kelman
9-Feb-2012, 00:53
The condos are booked up for the dates but I found two beach houses and have someone working on the rental of both places since the houses are side by side to each other and there will be plenty of room for everyone! Brian give me a call when you get the chance thanks

I'm helping Ted get this organized. We need to put money down. Here's the description of the places. There are two houses next to one another.

"Two story single family home with approximately 1500 square feet will sleep 8 - 10 people comfortably. This house is located at 2167 Cienaga St. and is equipped with 2 Queen Beds, 2 Full Beds, and a Full Sleeper Sofa in the Living Room. Each Bedroom has its own Private Vanity Area. One Bathroom is located Downstairs and One Full Bathroom is located Upstairs. The Dining Area and Bar Top will seat 10 People. The Kitchen is complete with all the Amenities. There is a Indoor Laundry Room with a Washer & Dryer right off the Kitchen Area. The Backyard has a BBQ with Patio Table and Chairs, with a Fire Pit for Outdoor Gatherings."

So this would mean whoever is in this would be in one of the two houses. Fore each house:

Bedroom with 2 queen sized beds: There could be two couples in each of the queen sized beds. So if you know another couple you're comfortable with, then the 4 of you would be fine together. OTOH, why not just have two people, one per bed.

For the room with double beds, it would seem that this would be fine for two people.

So far, this would be either 4 or 6 people with two bedrooms, each with their own sink and a shared full bathroom, (well a shower but no tub) in between, serving both bedrooms.

Now to the bottom floor. In one house theres a sleep sofa for two while in the other there's a wide sofa that they say could accommodate 4 people. So lets call that 2 people also.

Now this means that with 6 people per home, they all have to share one shower and 2 toilets. With 10 people this would be very unluxurious and require lots of waiting to get access to the limited toilet and shower facilities, IMHO.

So, imagine there are two homes. One under control of Ted and the other myself. So tell us if you would like to be part of this and if you have (a) room mate(s) you can share a room with. I have no enthusiasm myself for packing 2 guys in one bed unless, as when we guarded a mammoth float we built, there was a girl in between to soften things, LOL!

Ted feels that some guys might be happy sleeping with another fellow and that's your choice!

If we consider 6 people per house then the cost would be $165 x 3 nights, feb 23, 24, 25 and leave feb 26th

$125 non refundable cleaning fee
$300 refundable security deposit

Assuming the $300 get's swallowed up, just for the moment, that's $153.333 per 3 nights for each person. If we get back the deposit it's just 103.33 per person. If we have just 4 people per house then that would be $230 per person for the 3 nights and $160 per person if we get the $300 deposit back, which is more likely if there are only 4 people to mess the house up!

So post if you are interested in joining. We need to get a count ASAP.

Now as far as the closeness to the protected (non-littered, no vehicle access), dune sanctuary areas we need, we can arrange for parking in the parking lot of the riding stables or the nearby RV park.

I need guidance ASAP on the geography as we don't want Hugo lugging his giant Chamonix and lenses! I have a map that I can reference as you describe the places you know.

There seems to be excellent outdoor space for hanging out and eating. :)

I'll have to find out about numbers of towels, if any at all, blankets and sheets for the sofa/sofa bed. Also if the rooms have been smoked in.

I so hope this explanation is helpful!

Asher

Asher Kelman
9-Feb-2012, 02:58
Thankfully, it looks like this adventure is better organized than the Tonopah ones. I wish I could be there. :rolleyes:

Stephen,

What was it about the Tonopah adventure that we should be avoiding?

Asher

dsphotog
9-Feb-2012, 10:53
Is anyone from northern Ca, passing through Modesto?
I'm without transportation, I will split gas if I can share a ride.
PM me if interested.
Thanks,
David Silva

Asher Kelman
9-Feb-2012, 13:02
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Who if anyone is interested in being in the two houses that Ted identified? So far we've had not a single response and I'd hoped to book both homes today. One has to give cash in advance, so please speak up or we'll lose this opportunity.

Asher

seabee1999
9-Feb-2012, 13:35
My portion of the trip would only be one day, Saturday the 25th. Sorry, I cannot be a part of the lodging portion.

David

Asher Kelman
9-Feb-2012, 13:50
My portion of the trip would only be one day, Saturday the 25th. Sorry, I cannot be a part of the lodging portion.

David
David,

Are you arriving in the morning?

Asher

seabee1999
9-Feb-2012, 14:20
David,

Are you arriving in the morning?

Asher

Yes, I will. My wife will be with me too.

David

Ted Stoddard
9-Feb-2012, 15:03
Ok guys its only 15 days until the gathering last minute things are going into place and meeting places are being arranged so please send out heads up to asher if you want to stay at the houses he is setting up! also i need a volunteer to discuss camera movements for some of the people that are coming! Any Volunteers? thanks Ted

Asher Kelman
10-Feb-2012, 17:25
Ok guys its only 15 days until the gathering last minute things are going into place and meeting places are being arranged so please send out heads up to asher if you want to stay at the houses he is setting up! also i need a volunteer to discuss camera movements for some of the people that are coming! Any Volunteers? thanks Ted

Folks,

We have approx 13 folks coming, 3-6 camping. Would more come if we went through saturday and sunday?

If there are only up to 6 per guest house, then the rate drops to essentially $145 per night to split 6 ways, 5 ways or 4 ways!

Since we have a great kitchen, laundry room and super outside area for eating together, this is an ideal location. However, we need to finalize arrangements.

Jim is busy preparing for a solo show and I have a LOT of printing to do.

"I can bring some prints to show and if anyone is interested they are more than welcome to come visit me on Sunday at my apartment/studio/darkroom and watch me print. Kind of like a free carbon printing tour. I may bring the 8x10 and shoot or I may not shoot. I have a backlog of over 60 negatives to print and then curate them for inclusion in the show. Creating more negatives is something I don't need right now but if the light is right.....?
I'll be there to see everyone and hang out for a while. May shoot may not and I'll show prints but just a few. Then I have to get back to work." Jim Fitzgerald

So this sounds like a treat and would be an incentive for some of us to stay longer.

Meanwhile, here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLd1hQJv3Xc) Eddie Gunks last set of pictures with Per at the last Tonoppah Temptation workshop in May 2011. The last images showing Per silhouetted against his beloved landscape is a wonderful reminder of this very thoughtful and fine man who touched so many of us with his example and generous sharing of his love of photography.

Those who have been hanging around, making up your minds, better tell us whether or not you are actually coming! We want to make sure everyone is accommodated with excellent hospitality! Please help us finalize arrangements. Contact Ted or myself. Editor.opfATmac.com replace AT with @ :)

Asher

Jim Fitzgerald
10-Feb-2012, 19:07
Asher, where is the central meeting area? What is the schedule of when we will meet to show prints? Is there and itinerary? In short what is the plan? This has to be worked out other wise it will be a mess. Also do you guys have a list of who is coming after all we are at 18 pages.

Asher Kelman
11-Feb-2012, 00:57
Asher, where is the central meeting area? What is the schedule of when we will meet to show prints? Is there and itinerary? In short what is the plan? This has to be worked out other wise it will be a mess. Also do you guys have a list of who is coming after all we are at 18 pages.
Hello Jim,

The plan is to use one of our rental homes as a central meeting place. Ted and I plan to arrive the night before to set things up. I need help from locals as far as paths and areas best for the ULF cameras so that goals are obtainable. Also we'll work out what time we will be starting each day and joint dinners and sharing of prints. Hopefully, we'll finalize things over the weekend.

Everyone has been contacted who gave interest in joining us. We do need the courtesy of replies from everyone to confirm their plans. This is not my show. I'm just helping out Ted! I'm glad to do that but we do need the guys to pitch in too! I can help in arrangements to make up for everyone's help in making this a photographic success in remembering s man that profoundly influenced so many others he came into contact with.

Thanks everyone for your support.

Asher

Asher Kelman
11-Feb-2012, 12:05
As Jim has pointed out, we've had 18 pages of great interest and enthusiasm for the Oceano Dunes shoot and Print show at Pismo Beach Friday February 24th to Sunday February 26th.

You all have been touched by Per in some lasting way and know of his qualities over a long period of workshops, shoots and teaching sessions. I am the least among you all, as I only spent time, one on one, with Per Volquartz in the very last workshop he added his strengths to. Even then, I was pulled in to his side and he made an impression of so many qualities that if one would emulate and fulfill in part, one would be a better photographer and person. Watching Per interact quietly and modestly with so many photographers, giving each of us something, a hint, a smile, an adjustment, a gesture with his cane to demonstrate better Schleimflug or turning over a rock to examine the very soil of the earth he loved, was an unforgettable experience.

I just discovered this video of Per's Memorial Service (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGgamYW8TvE) last year, which attests to the far reach of his passion for photography, artistic skill and devotion to his family, students and colleagues.

Folk have their own family, many commitments and we're all busy, LOL! Still Ted and I need to arrange things, so everyone will have accommodation, food when needed and a great schedule.

We are still waiting for the following friends of Per to confirm attendance:

Sirius Glass
Curt
ghostcount
Slideshow Bob
Robert Oliver
Brian Vuillemenot
Madmax12
Hugo Zhang

Let Ted or I know if you have any questions.

You prompt responses are needed ASAP for us to go ahead and finalize our arrangements for common meeting areas and the program. :) :) :)

Ted Stoddard and Asher Kelman

Jim Fitzgerald
11-Feb-2012, 12:16
Asher, I can speak for Curt as he told me that he and his wife will be in Italy for their anniversary at that time. I'll be up on Friday ad stay till Saturday.

Asher Kelman
11-Feb-2012, 13:42
Asher, I can speak for Curt as he told me that he and his wife will be in Italy for their anniversary at that time. I'll be up on Friday ad stay till Saturday.
Jim,

Giving us this info is so helpful.

Thanks,

Asher

Ted Stoddard
11-Feb-2012, 16:51
The best part of this gathering has yet to come and my surprise for everyone will throw most if not all for a loop with that said please confirm for this it would be greatly appreciated!

Ted

Asher Kelman
11-Feb-2012, 21:54
The best part of this gathering has yet to come and my surprise for everyone will throw most if not all for a loop with that said please confirm for this it would be greatly appreciated!

Ted

We'll have no problem filling the spaces once we disclose the surprise Ted magically pulled out of a hat. We could host 20 people, but we may just make things more luxurious and have only 6 per house. So if you want to come and partake in what we hope will be remembered as a classic shoot for a long time to come, those who have not confirmed better do so. I'm arranging for parking close to the dunes where we'll photograph so heavier cameras can be carried. Hopefully the distance to carry a camera to a pristine spot might be as little as 200 yards. I need to do more checking with some locals, but the distance will be close and not much more than that, unless for some reason a tornado of garbage is dropped from the sky!

Try to arrive by noon Friday. I'll be posting the address of the meeting house. I might set up still life and even a model for that afternoon. Then sunset shots at approx 4:15
and after that dinner and print display. We have such a surprise for you that you will be saluting Ted for a long time to come. Until the thing happens, we don't want to jinx anything.

Also if we go north the monarch butterflies might still be there in two weeks. They're there right now! So some might consider some color film too!

Top shoot the Dunes will be best dawn on the 25th and 26th or sunset 24th or 25th or 26th. With good fortune, we'll have a wonderful exposure to printing by Jim Fitzgerald for those who are with us Sunday afternoon.

Check out from the rented houses and meeting headquarters will be 5pm on Sunday.

Asher

We're always open to any added suggestions for improvements! :)

madmax12
12-Feb-2012, 06:29
I will be there and I hope to stay at the house thanx craig

Asher Kelman
12-Feb-2012, 07:41
I will be there and I hope to stay at the house thanx craig
Thanks Craig,

PM me if you have any guidance or needs.

Asher

Asher Kelman
13-Feb-2012, 18:37
Hello all,

I'm appreciative of the guidance given by Ted Stoddard, Bob Fitzgerald, Matt Blais and Robert Oliver in putting together a program that promises to be both a fitting memorial to a distinguished teacher, friend and guide to many here as well as a great meeting to make new friends and meet new ones.

I'll post the program as soon as we've gotten feedback from other photographers. So far we have 17 participants.

Highlights

Sunset and Dawn shoots in the dunes

Still Life sets

Model

Dinners, Barbecue

Print exhibits, exchange and sale

Carbon Print presentation

Weston pictures

Carbon print work shop visit too!

We still have room for a few more, but you'd better hurry.

You can camp, (Pacific Dunes Ranch, 1205 Silver Spur Place, Oceana, CA 93452) or we'll put you up nicely for $36/ night at the meeting headquarters! ($48 returnable security deposit so we don't trash the place).

Those confirmed, no matter where you are staying, will receive a request for payment for the food, barbecue and dinners. It will be a modest sum, I promise. We're working in zero cash scrimp and save mode, but we'll eat and drink well. Well at least as good as Robin Hood but minus the venison!

What to do now:

Prepare your LF camera, film, scanning back, MF or whatever you wish.

Bring some extra 4x5 film loaded into cassettes for still life and model shoot with cameras set up with PS 945 and Visual Quality lenses etc.

Be prepared to trek at least 200 yards with your gear, but you can keep going until you reach the Pacific Ocean, LOL!

Bring compressed air and soft brush to blow off and clean, your gear afterwards.

Send me ASAP, editor.opfATmac.com, (replace AT with @, of course) files, up to 20 MB, per email, or else send any size via http://www.yousendit.com) of pics of Per Volquartz with, (if you wish a greeting and date). I'll assemble and print it large. Bring prints of Per too! We'll use everything!

Prepare your favorite prints for display with discussion/feedback

Sets of prints, 4x5, 8x10 or so or whatever size you wish for exchange or sale.

Gear that you might want to give away, exchange or sell

Brochures for any LF/ alternative process workshop/shoot you may be scheduling.

Thanks everyone for the replies and support! :)

Asher

Sideshow Bob
13-Feb-2012, 19:32
I'm going to stay at PD Ranch but have never been there. Those that have, is there an area/loop on the ranch that you would recommend?
Thanks,

Gale

Asher Kelman
13-Feb-2012, 20:03
I'm going to stay at PD Ranch but have never been there. Those that have, is there an area/loop on the ranch that you would recommend?
Thanks,

Gale

Hi Gale,

I'll send you a high resolution satellite map of the layout. I spoke to the manager, and they seem to have a lot of space. I'd pick a place to the southeast border with the dunes. However, Robert Oliver would be able to say more precisely how far down you should be. You literally should be a hop, skip and a jump from magnificent views.

I already have permission for us to come to the dunes through the RV park, so you are in just the best place!

Looks like your trailer will be a substation for beer! :)

Asher

Asher Kelman
14-Feb-2012, 11:42
Hi Gale,

I'd pick a place to the southeast border with the dunes.

Error! I meant S. Western border! The S.E. connects to more cars and farms, LOL!

Asher

Sideshow Bob
14-Feb-2012, 14:54
I just made reservations for Thursday through Sunday night. The bad news is the reservation service they use doesn't let you pick your space, I requested something in the southwest corner so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
I'm camping in a full size Ford van and the space is for a motor home 32' or less so if there is someone who would like to share the space, let me know.

Mr.Gale

Asher Kelman
14-Feb-2012, 16:09
Reception and shoot when you arrive! On friday afternoon, we'll have a dressed model and still life ready to shoot. You just need a 4x5 film cassette loaded and you can slip it in a camera already fitted with a great lens, perhaps a PS945 Cooke or a P&S Visual Quality, all being well, or you can bring your own camera or any kind, even digital or your cell phone. Matt Blais will be presenting Per Volquartz pre-exposure method for decreasing dynamic range and also for toning the highlights. This welcoming program, allows folk to chat, rekindle relationships over wine and also do some interesting photography they normally wouldn't do. You don't even need to set up your camera, LOL!

Nude Model Shooting Opportunity on a time share or individual basis: Also, thanks to Matt, I have booked a great figure model for the weekend. Here's the plan. 3 share 45 minutes exclusively then in the 15 minutes the model rests, up to 3 new cameras set up, by appointment. This would be $30 per photographer. Now if it's going to be just 2 that agree to share, then that hour would be $45/photographer. If you wish to book one hour, then we have to widen her schedule. So I need to know in advance. Having her go to the dunes is possible but then we'd have to have a chaperone and book an hour, (i.e. 45 minutes) and the charge would be $100 as it is not then possible to arrange for another group to follow easily.

So far the model shoot is Saturday Afternoon. However, we can also do this on Friday if there are enough requests. In addition, if there's a lot of interest we can get two or more models.
We do this so that you are not looking around the dunes for most of the time the sun is high and the light too harsh. Of course we'll provide shade for the model and still-life setups.

So everyone, please email us your plans for participating in the figure photography studio sessions:

Will you want to book at $30 a 45 minutes photography session Saturday afternoon after Jim Fitzgerald's presentation on Carbon & Platinum printing and the talk on Weston? I must know, as we may need expand the shoot with more figure models or more times, for example, on Friday and Sunday too. Do you need time photographing one on one? That's easy. If so tell me your needs . The model is fine, very experienced and able to pose well. I have no doubt that you will be more than happy with your work.

Here we do need everyone's help to serve everyone well.

So, please, everyone contact me and let us know whether or not you'll use the model. It's a must!! editor.OPFATmac.com (replace AT with @) Even if it's no, that helps us estimate our needs.

All fees will be paid in advance for the Workshop. The address of the headquarters, registration, presentations, photography print display, exchange, sale and gear exchange will be sent to you privately so that we have security.

Asher

seabee1999
14-Feb-2012, 16:18
This sounds like it will be a fun weekend. I am chatting with my wife about potentially staying longer (sat to sun). I am limited with my communication right now. I am still deployed to Spain but should be home by this weekend.

David

Asher Kelman
14-Feb-2012, 16:54
David,

So you will stay with us? Let us know ASAP so we can fit you in.

Also, guys with a worried wife, get permission for photographing for the figure study shoot. I promise it will be family friendly, once you can accept that she has no clothes, LOL. This is going to be a very tasteful, magnificently beautiful, (and respectful but unique), opportunity to compose and see someone respond to your direction in a creative way. The model will be screened off so that we won't offend the unprepared!

However, if this is not your thing, bypass it and then there will be still life and plenty of other scenes around to photograph on your own and, of course the presentations and the several shoots in the dunes Dusk and Dawn should be spectacular.

Asher

seabee1999
15-Feb-2012, 02:12
David,

So you will stay with us? Let us know ASAP so we can fit you in.

Also, guys with a worried wife, get permission for photographing for the figure study shoot. I promise it will be family friendly, once you can accept that she has no clothes, LOL. This is going to be a very tasteful, magnificently beautiful, (and respectful but unique), opportunity to compose and see someone respond to your direction in a creative way. The model will be screened off so that we won't offend the unprepared!

However, if this is not your thing, bypass it and then there will be still life and plenty of other scenes around to photograph on your own and, of course the presentations and the several shoots in the dunes Dusk and Dawn should be spectacular.

Asher

I sent an email concerning your question. As for my schedule of shooting, I believe I will be sticking with landscapes and dunes as well as maybe some still life stuff. I really don't have much of an interest in the model(s).

David

Asher Kelman
15-Feb-2012, 07:45
I sent an email concerning your question. As for my schedule of shooting, I believe I will be sticking with landscapes and dunes as well as maybe some still life stuff. I really don't have much of an interest in the model(s).

David

Well, David! You're going to be very busy. Lot's of wonderful dunes, still life and great bunch of guys here to renew friendships with and see in person!

There should be exceptional prints to enjoy too.

Asher

akaa
16-Feb-2012, 12:26
Hey All! Do you mind if I join you? I don't have any LF gear(yet). I was at Joshua Tree last year and sadly missed my opportunity to meet Per:(

Aris

Asher Kelman
16-Feb-2012, 13:39
Hey All! Do you mind if I join you? I don't have any LF gear(yet). I was at Joshua Tree last year and sadly missed my opportunity to meet Per:(

Aris
Aris,

First, you can bring whatever camera you like, you're so welcome! Students and colleagues of Per Volquarz will share stories, insights and even techniques. That's going to be the thread of the meeting. There will be impressive silver gelatin, platinum, carbon transfer and ever inkjet prints, more than you could imagine. Jim Fitzgerald will break ground for you on magnificent Carbon transfer prints which add a new dimension to B&W printing. Also Kim Weston will be presenting the Weston Legacy and hopefully doing workshops, which is, in itself, not a bad start for LF work. There will be varied LF 4x5 setups for still life too.

Just send me a PM with your email and tel number and days of attendance, friday to sunday morning.

Let me know if you will be going to the RV park ~ $50/night if you have a camper/van/RV or $36/night if we can fit you in.

Notice to others waiting: tell us now so we can rent another house if need be!!

Asher

Asher Kelman
19-Feb-2012, 00:23
There's just a 5 days to go to the meeting in Pismo Beach.

All the food except for saturday night will be at the meeting headquarters. The dunes, (as of this morning at 10 yards from the designated RV parking lot South Western Border), are pristine and beautiful with no footprints. I'm calculating food costs ands then will send out a note to everyone for that ,(and for those who stay at the houses, their small fee of $36/night.) Please send the money ASAP by paypal as a gift as I have paid for everything personally for the rent in advance. I hope to send out the notes to you tomorrow. By eating at one place we will be able to do more getting together, sharing prints and shooting.

We'll have still life setups, in the style of simplicity of those on Per's website and material to construct new ones. Friday as soon as you arrive 11 am to noon or so, there will be everything ready to start shooting still life, models clothed and also figure studies. The idea is to be as simple as possible and provide the photographer with room to individualize and control, the image. then at ~ 3:15 pm those who want to capture the waves and undulations of the dunes modeled in evening light, have to leave for the Dunes Ranch parking lot as sunset at ~5:50 will not wait. We need to get to the place, set up and get going and shoot in the 30 to 40 minutes before sunset.

So, while the whole program is devoted to bringing together experiences of those influenced and inspired by Per Volquartz, we do need to keep an eye on the clock to actually take pictures! There will be tons of time later at dinner for relaxing over wine and celebrating our stories.

I have sent the tentative program around to Ted and several photographers as we progressed for input and approval and you will all receive the program shortly. Everything is based on getting at least 3 dune shoots as a group, Friday sunset, saturday sunset and Sunday dawn. If guys escape on a Dawn shoot saturday at 4 am, they will be asleep for Jim Fitzgerald's presentation on Carbon and Platinum and will be tired for the Kim Weston the work of Edward Weston and the Weston legacy and then by the time the figure models get to pose, no one will be awake! Models can be clothed if you wish and they will have an number of outfits to compose with.

Some may prefer to photograph the sea coast from the Pismo beach, 10 miles of curving rocks and dunes or go north to the thirds pier and photograph bull seals 6 ft away on the rocks by the 3rd pier. Every so often, at the house, you'll hear the sound of phut-phut engines. Then you should look up! You'll see 1924 biplanes covered with cloth over a wood frame, doing rolls or a MadMax open helicopter contraption piloted by a fellow in a WWI leather flying helmet, hovering above us in his gyrocopter, powered by some repurposed Honda lawnmower engine! So one will need a digicam too or something with a zoom lens to capture these fleeting funny and archaic spectacles.

Once we are all there, the group can make adaptions as desired. You can be assured of a full and interesting array of choices and a great program. Please bring your pictures of Per and those made with him at his workshops and of course, work from your own portfolio to share, exchange, swop or sell. Also if you have any gear to show, exchange and/ sell bring 'em on too.

I plan to drive up to the area and check everything to ensure everything is as we expect! If anyone wants to meet us in Pismo about 11 am this
Monday, let me know. Input is always welcomed! Meanwhile, you might enjoy some pictures of per and also the dunes, here (http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=126307#post126307)

Asher

I'm not sure we can put anyone else up for $36 a night. It might be that the next places are at $50 a night since the costs are now higher. There's ~22-25 people coming so far!

Asher Kelman
20-Feb-2012, 01:13
The cost for each person attending will be $72. This covers food from Friday afternoon, dinner friday evening, wine, until breakfast sunday morning. (Dinner Saturday night we'll go to a healthy but economical restaurant is not included but will be modest). By eating together, we have more time for shooting and socializing. Given the fixed times of sunset and sunrise, working on a schedule as a group, but having incredible choices, makes for the best combination. When you come back from the shoot, dinner will be ready. So the program on Friday until we leave for the dunes will be very informal with many choices, but all in the same location. You can get lost in prints or shooting still life or models in fabulous clothes, or figure studies, whatever you wish and at your pace for4 hours before we go to the dunes for the sunset shoots. The program is rich; we've tons to photograph, still life, portraits and more from 11 am Friday. But the dunes are pristine and beautiful and the coastal scenes are spectacular. This is going to be a photoshoot to remember. Bring film for landscape and also portraits and still life as well as color if you like that for the models. We have one film changing hood so far, from Brian, so if someone has another, that would be great.

Please send the meeting fee of $72 plus $36 per night, if you are booked with us in the two houses, (towels, and linen included) or just $72 if you are using an RV/camping. Send by paypal to med007ATmac.com (replace AT with @, of course) as a gift. note it's zero, zero seven in 007 or else the money might go to someone in London! Let me know if you have any special dietary requirements or allergies. When you arrive, we'll be prepared for photography from 11 am! You'll decide what moves you. The choices will be before you and easy to choose from. This way, folk can be productive according to interests and creativity or just hang out and enjoy prints on display.

Asher

Asher Kelman
20-Feb-2012, 23:57
Having had feedback, let's make the arrangements more in line with how Per's get togethers were organized. So food costs are optional! If you want to be included in getting food for the breakfasts, friday dinner and saturday barbecue, let me know. A donation towards the fixed costs would be appreciated of $10-$15, but is not required. Folk can feel comfortable to eat as they wish. If the group self organizes to buy food or go to a restaurant or eat on the go, then that will work perfectly too. We want to do what is most natural and comfortable for everyone. If folk want to eat at the houses, let me know.

It took a while for me to learn how Per get-togethers were set up! Well that's a good thing to learn and I'm adjusting to that idea. The joy of getting together and going over prints and folk doing the things they know how to do in the way they are used to doing. I'm on board with that! I'm deferring to Jim Fitzgerald insight and appreciate feedback. We have the meeting place organized and an excellent choice of subjects to photograph while the dune winds blow from 11 or 11 30 am to 4:40 pm, when the sand is in the air. I number of guys have reported that they will be scouting the junes either thursday or friday morning. So we'll have different inputs as to the places to shoot. Again, where and when you shoot will be self-selected but we'll have the information collected for you to choose your schedule and interests.

One can shoot all day everyday in the dunes, thursday though sunday or take advantage of many other options. For those who wish to explore, we'll have still life setups and models you can work with as you wish.

Asher

Jim Fitzgerald
21-Feb-2012, 07:12
I'm going to add my .02 here. I want to thank Asher for helping get together this "get together"! In the years past we would assemble at the end of the day to discuss how the shooting went for the day. Generally we meet and discuss things and maybe see who we click with or wish to learn from and shoot with. We kind of make things up as we go. Some people will be in the dunes and some elsewhere. Asher was kind enough to help formalize this a bit and initially it was to much of a formal thing. Ted set this up as a get together and now we have many options that we can discuss when we all get together. Like it always is. You can do as much or as little as you wish. A small contribution toward the over all cost I do not feel is unreasonable. No mandatory fee for food from everyone. The people committed to staying in the home can decide about food and drink. It's a BYOB kind of event.

Meeting at the home to show prints discuss our work is important to our growth as artists. I look forward to viewing others work as this is always inspirational. This is one of the things I think all should attend but it is totally up to the individual photographers to decide. I'm happy to discuss and show the steps involved in carbon printing and I'll have some hand outs for those interested.

This is a great learning opportunity and we will have a great time. So long as costs are covered everything should be okay. Please join us for a great time.

Asher Kelman
22-Feb-2012, 00:17
I'm going to add my .02 here. I want to thank Asher for helping get together this "get together"! In the years past we would assemble at the end of the day to discuss how the shooting went for the day. Generally we meet and discuss things and maybe see who we click with or wish to learn from and shoot with. We kind of make things up as we go. Some people will be in the dunes and some elsewhere. Asher was kind enough to help formalize this a bit and initially it was to much of a formal thing. Ted set this up as a get together and now we have many options that we can discuss when we all get together. Like it always is. You can do as much or as little as you wish. A small contribution toward the over all cost I do not feel is unreasonable.

Thanks Jim for the kind words and your generosity is presenting Carbon printing Saturday morning. That's something I'm looking forward to.

No mandatory fee for food from everyone. The people committed to staying in the home can decide about food and drink. It's a BYOB kind of event.

Meeting at the home to show prints discuss our work is important to our growth as artists. I look forward to viewing others work as this is always inspirational. This is one of the things I think all should attend but it is totally up to the individual photographers to decide. I'm happy to discuss and show the steps involved in carbon printing and I'll have some hand outs for those interested.

This is a great learning opportunity and we will have a great time.

So long as costs are covered everything should be okay.

We do need some contribution so that the organizing costs are at least somewhat covered and right now, we need folk to step up!

Asher

Asher Kelman
22-Feb-2012, 00:20
Better book your requests for model time from Friday to sunday. There are limited slots and only by your voices will I be encouraged to book more! Only 4 folk have committed to 1 hour slots. So you will be out of luck if you don't help me by letting me know if you would like to commit some film to this project with an unusually fabulous model whole react according to your guidance.

Asher

Asher Kelman
22-Feb-2012, 00:45
Directions!

To get directions just make sure you commit to coming, are paid up (if you are in the two houses) and that, anyway, I have your email address and tel number. Then I'll give you the address, as we are not divulging this online. I'll send you a map with the topography too.

Hotel:

Rooms reserved at discount. Ask.

Meeting Houses:

Hugo Zhang, 3 nights, paid

Asher Kelman, 3 nights, paid

David Miller (2 people) 1 night, paid

Ted Stoddard (2 people) 3 nights, pending

Randy AKA Ghostcount, 2 nights, pending

Craig aka Madmax12, 2 nights, pending

Brian Vuillemenot, 3 nights, paid

AKAA Ari 2 nights, pending

Daniel Perez 2 nights, pending

Campers:

Matt Blais

Bill Theis

Forrest Atkins

Jim Fitzgerlad

Joseph Dickerson

slideshow bob, Gale Ensign

Local:

Robert Oliver (2)

Guests:

Gina and Kim

Asher

Ted Stoddard
22-Feb-2012, 09:57
Hey guys,

This has been a very exciting adventure and I was able to get the Grandson of Edward Weston, Kim Weston & Gina Weston to come to this gathering and I'm asking everyone to please support this event with Asher as he has worked so hard to get things done and I'm very grateful for his help and if it wasn't for him this might of never happened so please let him know if you will shoot the model let him know ASAP! Support him in anyway you can! We want this to be fun and an learning experience for everyone and to remember our dear friend Per! He's got two models coming and if you want to shoot the model let Asher know right away! He doesn't want to cancel a model but might need to if no interest! Any questions please let us know or any concerns! Thanks Ted

Jim Fitzgerald
22-Feb-2012, 10:06
Asher, I can tell you that Matt is not coming due to another engagement.

Asher Kelman
22-Feb-2012, 10:21

Matt gave us a wonderful model and I'll be working with her. We'll have to start working on the next gathering in Joshua tree as a makeup! His work is with Katjia is superb.

Asher

Asher Kelman
22-Feb-2012, 11:13

Matt gave us a wonderful model and I'll be working with her. We'll have to start working on the next gathering in Joshua tree as a makeup! His work is with Katjia is superb.

Meanwhile, the confirmations are rolling in and I'm happy! :)

Asher

We may have 1-2 places more I can work out, so let us know.

seabee1999
22-Feb-2012, 11:34
Cool, thanks to all for helping this become a reality. I will enjoy being there.

Dave

seabee1999
22-Feb-2012, 11:43
Cool, thanks to all for helping this become a reality. I will enjoy being there.

Dave

Hugo Zhang
22-Feb-2012, 12:34
Hi Asher, Ted and Jim,

Thank you for your time and efforts to put this up and I can't wait to have three full days to shoot nudes with my 16x20 camera! I mean the nude dunes. :) And of course the models too if I am in the mood and I bet they are as beautiful as the dunes, maybe more!

I am so excited to see old friends from the Tonopah Gang and some new faces yet to meet! No, no that nasty Chinese liguor and I will be sober this time.

Let's party and have fun with our cameras!!!

Hugo

Tri Tran
23-Feb-2012, 16:22
Hi Hugo, Jim , Asher
Hope you guys have a wonderful trip, made a lot of nice pictures to bring back home. Sand dune is not easy to capture So dont forget to bring yellow and red filter.
I would love to join you guys to shoot side by side with Hugo 16x20 and Jim 14x17 but my time is so limited. Hope you all enjoy Jim's 3D Carbon prints.
Hugo don't hurt yourself out there with your 16x20,I know you are excited. Have a safe trip gentlemen and keep us updated. God bless .

KevinR
23-Feb-2012, 16:36
[Local chiming in again...]

FYI-- The access road to Guadalupe Dunes re-opened Tuesday after a year of being closed.

News story with video:
http://www.keyt.com/news/local/140062633.html

I think the dunes at the Pismo Dune Preserve are more grand and photogenic, but Ten Commandments and Pirates of the Caribbean was shot at Guadalupe. Also, March 1 starts snowy plover breeding season and you cannot venture into the dunes (at Guadalupe) after that date until September. So it's an option, but it doesn't sound like your group will run out of activities from what I'm reading!

I hope you will post links to pictures here later. I'd love to see what your talents lead to. Hope your trip turns out fantastic.

Kevin
San Luis Obispo

Asher Kelman
26-Feb-2012, 19:09
Hi Hugo, Jim , Asher
Hope you guys have a wonderful trip, made a lot of nice pictures to bring back home. Sand dune is not easy to capture So dont forget to bring yellow and red filter.
I would love to join you guys to shoot side by side with Hugo 16x20 and Jim 14x17 but my time is so limited. Hope you all enjoy Jim's 3D Carbon prints.
Hugo don't hurt yourself out there with your 16x20,I know you are excited. Have a safe trip gentlemen and keep us updated. God bless .

I am looking forward to the next shoot where I can meet you.

Asher

Asher Kelman
26-Feb-2012, 19:24
Congrats on the entire group who attended the Per get together. We did toast our glasses to him and shooting covered dawn and sunset at the Pismo dunes, a talk by Kim Weston on the Weston legacy. Hugo's head was about 10"' from priceless Edward and Brett Weston prints and new ones from treasured negatives that escaped national museum collections. These are printed by Kim and stamped on the Verso with a rubber stamp and signed as printed by Kim, himself, so it's all in the family and quite a road show. I will vouch that the original and new prints are 100 times better than any prints you've seen and don't miss a chance to see these. In fact, Kim suggested that the negatives are so perfect, that anyone who prints in B&W could make a perfect print!

LF photographers do not seem to have much interest in photographing even most wonderful nudes as much as dunes and still life. So only Jim and I partook of that activity and the 2 models were wonderful to work with. Someone has to do it!

I saw Forrest at Kim's talk and also at Jim's talk in carbon printing. That guy looks really good and is always elegant. He's like a mirage. One minute he's there and then he's gone!

With Jim, the presentation was particularly fascinating as he not only prints but also prepared the carbon gelatin medium as well. That allows for different grades of sensitivity and he has methods for pulling and pushing. He mesmerized us with impressive prints and as an encore 2 impressive panoramas about 18" wide.

The medium seems to impart a 3D appearance so a grove of trees seems to show a set of trees with each occupying an individual position. That's impressive.

I'll add more, but Academy awards is calling. So far, I've not merited even a mention!

Asher

Michael Clark
26-Feb-2012, 21:14
Thats great all worked well Asher,loved to have seen the Weston prints and listen to Kim Weston had to say. Great for Jim's demo and print showing.

Mike

Robert Oliver
26-Feb-2012, 23:50
Had a great time! Hopefully I came home with an image or two. Nice meeting all of you that I hadn't met before.

Have to do it more often.

Thanks for bringing us all together again Per!

http://robertoliver.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v43/p590255946-5.jpg

Robert Oliver
26-Feb-2012, 23:53
and for the record... I did offer to take my clothes off!

Robert Oliver
27-Feb-2012, 00:03
http://robertoliver.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v39/p195895030-5.jpg
Hugo

http://robertoliver.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v40/p247293865-5.jpg
Asher

http://robertoliver.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v44/p304031883-5.jpg
In the hot seat....

Robert Oliver
27-Feb-2012, 00:13
http://robertoliver.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v35/p142704937-5.jpg
Hugo Zhang

http://robertoliver.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v45/p204627222-5.jpg
Jim Fitzgerald

http://robertoliver.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v40/p243079569-5.jpg
Jim Fitzgerald

http://robertoliver.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v41/p454843716-5.jpg
Sunrise on Sunday

Robert Oliver
27-Feb-2012, 00:24
http://robertoliver.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v39/p993493029-5.jpg
Dan Perez

http://robertoliver.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v44/p643800512-5.jpg
Hugo Zhang

http://robertoliver.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v44/p990285018-5.jpg
Self Portrait

Jim Fitzgerald
27-Feb-2012, 07:14
Robert, great pic's. It was nice to see everyone, new and old faces. Just what Per would have wished for.I hopefully got some nice images. Portraits, nudes, still life and a landscape or two. Friday night's presentation by Kim Weston of Edward and Brett's prints was the highlight for me. It was a bit daunting having to show my work after viewing two of the finest master's there are.

dperez
27-Feb-2012, 08:47
Robert,

Thanks for participating in the gathering, your knowledge of the area proved very helpful.

-Dan Perez

dperez
27-Feb-2012, 09:47
Images from the Per Get Together.

Brian Vuillemenot
27-Feb-2012, 20:00
Had a great time photographing, discussing photography, meeting new people and reconnecting with old friends from previous workshops. Thanks to all for your participation and planning. I hope to see you all again soon.

Hugo Zhang
27-Feb-2012, 22:05
I had a great time meeting old and new friends and looking at prints and taking pictures!!! I will be busy next few weeks developing my negatives and printing. I will post some whole plate prints if I have good ones. Thanks everybody and hope we can do this again.

Jim Fitzgerald
28-Feb-2012, 07:12
Thanks to everyone who has posted images from this get together. Nice to see.

Robert Oliver
28-Feb-2012, 09:43
I'm hoping somebody came up with a cool photo of the fog & mist on the dunes before the sunrise on Saturday... I missed it completely. Had never seen that before out there!

seabee1999
28-Feb-2012, 16:06
Sorry for being late to share my apperciation. I have been extremely busy with school. I want to say thanks to all for helping me understand the view camera better. It was a joy to meet and to photograph along side everyone. I hope to develop my sheets shortly, as soon as I get a break from school, work and traveling.

David

Asher Kelman
28-Feb-2012, 16:19
Sorry for being late to share my apperciation. I have been extremely busy with school. I want to say thanks to all for helping me understand the view camera better. It was a joy to meet and to photograph along side everyone. I hope to develop my sheets shortly, as soon as I get a break from school, work and traveling.

David

David,

It was a pleasure to meet such a fine young man and a proud, lovely and joyous wife! You are serving all of us. Thanks. I do hope others were able to see your prints. You have a good appreciation of black and white as a medium. One picture with snow capped mountains above and a strong massive vanishing road below is particularly well captured and printed. The road's central markings, complement, (in some simple abstraction, the entire presence of mountains shadow, rock and snow. You work was a particular joy to me personally. So you gave as much you took from the get-together and that applies, I'm sure to everyone I met!

Asher

Asher Kelman
28-Feb-2012, 20:58
Hi everyone.

I'm so happy that you all enjoyed the Pismo get together. It was such a fine tribute. Thanks for all the help in cleaning up! A good team approach!

We still have a few stragglers who have not paid for the rooms they ordered and what was committed to when I took over from Ted Stoddard and paid for everything in advance. (Several people even contributed an extra $10 to $15 and that's generous indeed). Thanks so much. Please, (you know who you are), kindly pay for your outstanding accommodation at the houses as this is still owing. My assumption would be that all such firm commitments can be relied on among us. :) :)

Greatly appreciate you kind attention, friendship and sharing setups and choice views of the dunes you discovered! A special thanks to Jim Fitzgerald for advising me on how Per arranged things and what folk expected and all the guidance in making this get together a success.

Asher

Sideshow Bob
28-Feb-2012, 23:05
My thanks to Ted, Asher and Jim for all your hard work putting this event together. I had a great time, saw a lot of wonderful images and made a bunch of new friends.

Mr.Gale

Friday morning (2/24) at sunrise.
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j440/MrGale69/SandDune1.jpg

Robert Oliver
29-Feb-2012, 08:16
Mr. Gale,

Beautiful colors! well done. Great meeting you!

Robert

My thanks to Ted, Asher and Jim for all your hard work putting this event together. I had a great time, saw a lot of wonderful images and made a bunch of new friends.

Mr.Gale

Friday morning (2/24) at sunrise.

dperez
29-Feb-2012, 10:50
http://danielperezphoto.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/20120229-092858.jpg
Robert Oliver's Chamonix 045N-1 resting near it's big sister, the Chamonix 1620.

http://danielperezphoto.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/20120229-092753.jpg
Hugo Zhang's tank of a camera.

http://danielperezphoto.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/20120229-092823.jpg
Hugo Zhang moving his 16x20 camera into position.

http://danielperezphoto.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/20120229-092850.jpg
Hugo Zhang sets up his 16x20 camera while Robert Oliver hikes out to a new position.

dperez
29-Feb-2012, 10:51
http://danielperezphoto.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/20120229-092905.jpg
Some still life fun. The subject was a dead patato bug positioned on top of a peice of tree bark.

http://danielperezphoto.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/20120229-092732.jpg
My Arca-Swiss 4x5 Set up on Saturday morning.

http://danielperezphoto.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/20120229-093002.jpg
My 8x10 set up for a shot on Sunday morning.

http://danielperezphoto.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/20120229-092944.jpg
This is a cellphone snapshot that is close to what I was aiming for, but the composition from the 8x10 version is much better.

dperez
29-Feb-2012, 10:52
http://danielperezphoto.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/20120229-093022.jpg
Hugo Zhang focusing his whole plate camera next to my Ebony 8x10.

http://danielperezphoto.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/20120229-093029.jpg
Another cellphone snapshot of the scene we were after.

Hugo Zhang
29-Feb-2012, 12:03
Daniel,

Thank you very much for these pictures! For those curious minds, I was using the front element of my Hermagis Eidoscope No.2 with my 16x20" camera and a 14x17" reducing back. I found out the previous day that the lens would not cover 16x20" plate, even at small apertures. I can't wait to develop my negatives and see the prints. I made some exposures both at wide open ( blurry/glowing on the ground glass) and at small stops (sharp all over).

Hugo

Asher Kelman
29-Feb-2012, 23:35
It's great to see the pictures rolling in. I hope we'll see the still life pictures. I was impressed that folk were so very creative.

On Friday morning, realizing few would actually make use of the models, I sought to at least get one hour with them, missed great light on the dunes and photographed them instead. All I managed was one hour before they were spirited away. Still that was a rewarding session far beyond my expectations. It was great working with two fine models. I used the opportunity to sketch out poses for 8x10 and large film photography in my home in the coming weeks. The images will be shown here (http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=126610#post126610). I'd love to have your comments. The figures are not altered in photoshop since film is not generally altered either and that's my end result.

Asher

BTW, all deposits of $48 for those who stayed in the house and booked in advance, will be refunded as there was no damage to anything in either house. Great job everyone! Straggler, please pay-up!

Jim Fitzgerald
1-Mar-2012, 17:51
FYI, found my watch buried in my bag. Hope no one looked to hard. Nice images everyone!

Asher Kelman
1-Mar-2012, 18:57
FYI, found my watch buried in my bag. Hope no one looked to hard. Nice images everyone!

Glad you found it, Jim. I turned up every cushion, moved all the couches so now the puzzle is solved.

Your presentation on Carbon transfer was the highlight of the meeting. Your prints are so fine. You showed that beautiful picture of the intertwined calla lilies. It's my favorite. What was the name of that lens. I know it had one element only, but what else? Did it have an iris or a waterhouse stop?

Asher

Asher Kelman
1-Mar-2012, 19:07
I've returned all the refunds of $48 to those who gave the $48 deposit and stayed in the house. If anyone intended to contribute towards the Westons being there to the expenses, and didn't, there's still an opportunity! Send $10-15 to med007ATmac.com (replace AT with @ of course).

Losses are $219 for the Westons invited by Ted on his own and not budgeted for and more for the house as we had 2 no shows and one guy not paying for 3 nights! The models run at a loss of $220 but I'm more than happy to take care of that myself, after all I came home with great pictures to show my wife and work on for prints. If a most important key person, (who skipped out before paying), would pay all his debts, it would make my day. All in all, the arrangements worked well. Ted has vanished!! If Ted ever reappears, thank him for telling me of houses for me to rent for us all, so close to the dunes. However he was short until Feb 24th, so he had me fund everything. I'm happy to do that. If I miscalculate and there's a loss, that's my fault. I took on the responsibility when Ted couldn't follow through in any manner. I just hate to think badly of anyone and to be forced to realize I've actually been duped by someone who'd just sneak off and not answer any calls or messages.

Has anyone heard from Ted? Is he O.K.? I'm concerned. A week prior to the get together, Ted called round the clock wanting money to rescue his girlfriend. I Western Unioned money for him after he called me for the 10th time at all hours to get his girlfriend and her daughter back from Manila, Philippines, where she was bumped off the flight, they asked for a rebooking fee of $300, her purse was stolen by a bag snatcher, needed $50 to file a police report and $50 to get a copy in order to get rebooked on the airline and after I sent money, she collapses and was hospitalized and then forced to be immunized for another $100 before she could get a ticket again! So, yes, that's a very dramatic story that I believed! My wife told me "Sounds like a scam!", don't send anything, but to me he's a student of Per and I felt bad for him. So I sent money! That's gone too. He didn't pay for his stay. Perhaps he did PayPal someone else in cyberspace. I'd like to think that. It could be he's in worse straits than he's disclosed, but left preparing for a pilgrimage to Kim Weston and talking of buying an ultra wide format camera with lenses for some $2300. It doesn't add up. I just hope nothing bad has happened to him. It's wednesday 72 hours after the end of the meeting and he's totally off the radar. Until the meeting, he answered his phone immediately or within minutes. Not to answer is just not like him. Hopefully, he's just fine. I do wish him well. It's just a mystery to me what happened to him.

I'd gladly do this again, after all, everyone else paid and then brought stuff for people to share and helped one another. We had a lot of fun and benefitted from great guides. For the group, just get everything in advance and no VIP guests to put up in hotels or models either! That was that and now back to photography. :) :)

Asher

Brian Vuillemenot
2-Mar-2012, 20:56
Hi Asher,

Thanks for refunding the deposit and all the hard work you did getting the house and workshop organized. A fun time was had by all who attended. I talked to Ted the other day and he made it home safely. I think he is just very busy and has not had time to get back to you.

akaa
2-Mar-2012, 22:43
Hello All! As I am fairly new to this group, It was great to meet everyone and I hope to make these meetings regularly. As a rookie mistake, I severely underdeveloped my negatives. Damn!:mad: Oh well, not all is lost. It will be time to experiment with some negative intensification. If anyone has some tips, they would be greatly appreciated!

This is the first print out of the darkroom, printed on Arista EDU at grade 5. Sorry there is 2, I couldn't figure out how to delete the 1st one.

Michael Clark
2-Mar-2012, 23:14
Its a beautiful photograph akaa, well composed and the hole 9 yrds. Looks like there still shadow density so an intensifier should be able to help. Iv'e only used selenium for film which gives 1.2 to 3/4 of a stop of density increase, not much but from the looks of the image on my screen it might help. Use a dilution of about 1part toner to 4 or 5 parts distilled water or hypo clearing agent, give it 5 minutes or so with gentle agitation, if not enough tone some more. Hope this helps,maybe some one else will have a better idea of what to do.

Mike

Michael Clark
2-Mar-2012, 23:18
Akaa, allso post it on the Darkroom film and processing section, get more direct answers.

Asher Kelman
3-Mar-2012, 05:39
Hello All! As I am fairly new to this group, It was great to meet everyone and I hope to make these meetings regularly. As a rookie mistake, I severely underdeveloped my negatives. Damn!:mad: Oh well, not all is lost. It will be time to experiment with some negative intensification. If anyone has some tips, they would be greatly appreciated!

Aris,

Wonderful to meet you! This is the first print out of the darkroom, printed on Arista EDU at grade 5. Sorry there is 2, I couldn't figure out how to delete the 1st one.

I love both prints as they are. Is the foreground your target for intensification?

Asher

madmax12
3-Mar-2012, 07:34
I think vocalizing your problems without talking to the person is not a good thing to do. Talk with him first. No one ever knows what other problems people are having until you walk in there shoes. This not the appropriate site to discuss your arrangements and ramble about individuals in such a manner. This was suppose to be about PER now it is about you. Please stop. Craig

Michael Clark
3-Mar-2012, 11:06
Craig, Per was there to help us with such matters, so in the spirit of Per I don't think it was to much out of line for someone to ask for help. Although asking in the tread on processing would be better, it is a nice photograph.

Mike

Forrest Atkins
3-Mar-2012, 12:12
Craig, Per was there to help us with such matters, so in the spirit of Per I don't think it was to much out of line for someone to ask for help. Although asking in the tread on processing would be better, it is a nice photograph.

Mike

Wondering if Craig is referring to an earlier post?

Michael Clark
3-Mar-2012, 12:40
You know, that could be right Forrest, have to follow the threads more closely. Sorry 'bout that Craig, old buddy o' buddy.

Mike

madmax12
3-Mar-2012, 19:11
I think vocalizing your problems without talking to the person is not a good thing to do. Talk with him first. No one ever knows what other problems people are having until you walk in there shoes. This not the appropriate site to discuss your arrangements and ramble about individuals in such a manner. This was suppose to be about PER now it is about you. Please stop. Craig

This was directed at ASHER Not at anyone asking for help . Should have quoted it . My apologies if someone misunderstood

madmax12
3-Mar-2012, 19:12

This is the first print out of the darkroom, printed on Arista EDU at grade 5. Sorry there is 2, I couldn't figure out how to delete the 1st one.

The are nice images and prints I am working on mine as we speak . Unfortunately scanning