PDA

View Full Version : Database of photography stores across the US

ArtRosen
30-Oct-2011, 09:09
I've created a product that I'm working to patent that I'd like to solicit and sell to photography stores so they, in turn, could sell it to photographers. I can't go into detail, but I think it would make everyone's life tremendously easier when carrying around different cameras and lenses at the same time.

That being said, I would have no idea how to get a listing of different photography stores across the US.

How could I go about getting this list and/or would anybody have a database they could send to me?

BrianShaw
30-Oct-2011, 10:05
Before endorsing your product I sure would like to give it a try. PM me and I'll provide the address to which you can send an evaluation sample.

ArtRosen
30-Oct-2011, 20:17
Before endorsing your product I sure would like to give it a try. PM me and I'll provide the address to which you can send an evaluation sample.

Thanks, I don't have a patent on in it. So I can't divulge anything.

Greg Lockrey
31-Oct-2011, 04:10
try this: http://www.manta.com/mb_34_B63B2_000/camera_and_photographic_supply_stores their list has only 4185 of them, it should get you started.

Nathan Potter
31-Oct-2011, 07:41
Thanks, I don't have a patent on in it. So I can't divulge anything.

Art, you could file a Provisional immediately, even a disclosure to the Patent Office if there is any risk of being usurped on the idea.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

jp
31-Oct-2011, 08:32
If the audience is the normal consumer public, camera stores might be a good place. If it's advanced amateurs or pros, I think the camera store is an irrelevant place, except for the combo mail order and store big names.

Getting it praised on kenrockwell, dpreview, or some popular gadget site is probably better than 100 camera stores.

For the advanced amateurs and pros, I'd suggest advertising on the websites your potential customers hang out at or are influenced by. E.g. wildlife photographers probably don't hang out at street or portraiture photography websites. If it's for pros, getting it into the hands of people who will use it and tell about it is a priority. Photographers that work with other photographers, photographers that teach photographers, bloggers, etc...

Leigh
31-Oct-2011, 09:40
try this: ... their list has only 4185 of them, it should get you started.
I wouldn't trust that list.

Abbey Camera in Baltimore closed 9 years ago. :eek:

- Leigh

Brian Ellis
31-Oct-2011, 11:01
I wouldn't trust that list.

Abbey Camera in Baltimore closed 9 years ago. :eek:

- Leigh

And even the ones that are still open maybe aren't exactly what he has in mind, e.g. Adult Pursuits in Sarasota. : - )

Bob Salomon
31-Oct-2011, 11:15
For camera stores in the USA contact PMA (Photo Marketing Assoc.). That is the dealer association for the USA.
But normally your choices to market to the camera stores is to either sell it directly to them yourself or go through a distributor like us. We, and the other distributors, have a sales force - usually indepedent sales reps - that sell to the dealers.

PMA is located in Jackson, MI