PDA

View Full Version : Unicolor motorbase + Jobo 2521 tank

VanDyke
30-Oct-2011, 00:50
I have an opportunity to get a Unicolor Motorbase. I would like to use it for development with my Jobo 2521 (magnet) tank with the 2509 filmholder.
I think that the Jobo tank is to short to fit on the rollerbase. My questions are:
Is anyone using this system with somekind of adapting device? Is the motorbase useful for filmdevelopment? ( rotationspeed). If I am not mistaken the rollerbase was primary used for paper development.
If someone uses this setup for development please share your solution with me.
I am kinda of getting tired handrolling the tank in a defect Jobo CPE.

cheers,

Peter Koning

rfesk
30-Oct-2011, 04:23
Well, Peter, I have been planning on doing just what you suggested - just haven't gotten around to it.

It should be possible to rig up something to hold the small end on rollers and let the large end set on the rollers of the Unicolor motorbase. You also need to rig up a device to keep the drum in position.

Years ago I used wheels from a toy to construct a base for handrolling my 2521. It has worked so well that I just haven't taken the time to make an adaption to the Unicolor motorbase.

nolindan
30-Oct-2011, 09:47
When I need to use a short Jobo drum on a roller base I attach it magnet-to-magnet to a long drum. Two gallon jugs at each end prevent the drum(s) from walking off, and a tray under the lid of the wet tank catches the inevitable drips.

banjo
30-Oct-2011, 10:24
I have a Beseler motorbase & a Unicolor motorbase I am not at my dark room so I
can't look at tank # that I use. But it will take 5 35mm rolls or two 4x5s
But to make it work better I us two 0 rings so it will stay in place
I tried the 1500 & the 3500 sizes & don't like them as the 1500 are to small for my
Beseler motorbase. been using the Beseler motorbase & jobo tank for over 25 years

Kimberly Anderson
30-Oct-2011, 14:56
I am using the rollerbase and a Jobo 3010 drum. Perfect development, uni-directional rolling. PMK and HP5+. Can't be beat...and in many ways simpler than a JOBO.

Frank_E
30-Oct-2011, 15:11
that is the approach I use

the Jobo tank is too short to fit over both of the rubber rollers so I just have it sit over one, hanging somewhat over the edge. Since the roller only turns in one direction I flip the orientation of the tank every 30 seconds. Works for me.

VanDyke
31-Oct-2011, 00:47
Thanks Guys,

I am happy to know that I can come up with somekind of a solution for it.
What I like to know is; turns the unicolor in two directions? at what speed?
at this moment I handroll the tank attached with its magnet on a defect Jobo CPE.
I roll the tank for 2 rev per ten seconds in either direction.
My development times are the same as with non-rolling tank development.
Is it likely that I have to change development times if you take the movements of the unicolor rollerbase into consideration?

Peter Koning

GeorgesGiralt
31-Oct-2011, 14:30
Hello !
The jobo tanks are modular. The 25xx series share the same bodies as the 28xx paper series.
So if your tank is too short to rest on both rollers, add a tube of the 28xx series to make for a larger size. Using the correct central tube you can get a couple of 2509 spools in it and process more film in one run. There is also the 255x tank for 2 x 2509.
I use a roller base for the Expert drums (as my CPE2 can't accept them). I've made a modification using an electronic timer to have the Expert drum make more than a turn before the spinning direction change. It was really easy in my roller base (no-name brand, so yours maybe different).
Last but not least, cut a couple of "rounds" on a bicycle tire tube and put them at each end of the tank. it will prevent it from slipping outside the rollers. The tube must be a small one in order to stick really hard on the Jobo drum...

VanDyke
1-Nov-2011, 01:25
almost forgot that I must also look for a JOBO solution. I did not immediately were thinking in that direction. Its not so easy to get JOBO stuff in the Netherlands, and I am satisfied with the amount of chems I am using now.
I will look for the possibilities as we speak.
bicycle tire tube! Cool!

Thanks.

Peter Koning