PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 Film Holder Options

jeroldharter
29-Oct-2011, 21:19
Looks like there are just a few available 8x10 film holder options: the Fidelity and Lisco plastic film holders which seem to be the standard and what I use now; the Fidelity metal holders which are quite expensive; and the Toyo holders.

Any reason not to buy the cheaper plastic ones? I have not noticed any problems with mine so I wonder what is to be gained, if anything, from the more expensive options.

John Kasaian
29-Oct-2011, 21:52
IMHO there is no advantage in paying more money. Either a holder works to your satisfaction of it doesn't. Price I find is no indication that it will (or won't)

The black painted wood ones marked" Graflex made for Eastman Kodak" work just fine for me. Any leakers get dismantled and put in the cannibal box, and I'll use the parts to fix others. I also have plastic Lisco Regal and Regal II (I've repaired at least one these this using blackened epoxy) The older Regals seem to me to be be nicer than the newer Regal IIs (maybe it's all the lovethats been lavished on older film holders?)
Hinges are easily replaced--I use gaffer's tape but book binders tape is first class--I just happen to have gaffers on hand) Locking ells, at least on the woodys are easily fabricated from stock hardware.

I also like the wood Agfas, but my supply dwindled (the don't come apart like the Graflex to supply spares) so when I got down to the last two good ones I bid Agfas adios.

By all means save money getting used holders. Buy them from a reputable dealer and test them all before using so you can send any leakers back for an exchange. Sure it takes time to test each holder, but who shoots 8x10 in a hurry?

Of course, with Kodaks 10 sheet boxes, you'll never need five film holders ;)

All good,

jp
30-Oct-2011, 05:00
I prefer the plastic ones. No major reasons though. They are easier to label than the fidelity metal topped ones.

Wooden holders I don't like as well as newer materials. I live in an area where it's very humid in the summer, and they can get tough to work the dark slides. I don't think to wax them when it's dry.

E. von Hoegh
7-Nov-2011, 07:55
I use the Graflex/Kodak wood and metal holders exclusively. If in good condition, they're as good as they get. They also have the advantage that you can disassemble them to clean or renew the velvet in the light trap. They cost me $12 to $15 each, but that was a while ago.