PDA

View Full Version : Durst 1840 naming parts for MF and 35mm

cyrus
29-Oct-2011, 00:23
OK so could someone tell me what I need to use my Durst CLS1840 for 4x5, 8x10, 35mm and MF film - specifically the names of the parts? I just can't understand the nomenclture. WTF is an an "Oben"?

So I suppose these are what I need identified:

The top light box

The bottom light box

The lens board (for an 80mm lens, or 50mm?)

What else?

Thanks

E. von Hoegh
29-Oct-2011, 07:51
"Oben" is German. Here's a translator.
http://www.dict.cc/german-english/oben.html

ic-racer
29-Oct-2011, 08:01
From the L1840 Brochure.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ic-racer/2011/Accessories.jpg

ic-racer
29-Oct-2011, 08:11
The 8x10 or 10x10 Larabox will cover all the smaller formats. If you just have one mixing box set, that is the one you want.

In terms of negative carriers, the 10x10 glass is all you need. The masking will be different if you have the Larangeg or the Negateil.

For glassless negative carrier you can use the Trinomask set, but I don't have that system, maybe someone else can chime in on how well that works.

Lensboards will depend on the lens. Some Componons come with at cone type base that does not require a lensboard. Other lenses require a threaded Lapla board to match the lens threads. Bigger lenses with flanges can be mounted on 8" Vapla boards which are not threaded.

The manual is here (http://manuelsphoto.free.fr/durst_l1840_operatingmanual.pdf), do you have that?

ic-racer
29-Oct-2011, 08:22
For a specific example if I were to enlarge a 6x6cm negative I'd use:

Larabox 69 top and bottom pieces
Negateil 10x10 glass carrier with a 6x9cm cardboard mask below the carrier.
Alternate: Laraneg 10x10 glass carrier with 6x9cm mask (Homaskset copy) mounted below the carrier
Setopla 25mm thread recessed lensboard with 80mm Componon screwed into that mounted on a Tripla or Unipla
Alternate: screw a 39mm thread 80mm lens on the heavily recessed Laratub.

gary mulder
29-Oct-2011, 11:47
"Oben" is the german word for top

gary mulder
30-Oct-2011, 04:58
It's hard to understand your question. In previous post you say you use a 80 mm on your 1840. So I presume that part is already solved. The light boxes always go in pairs. One top (uber) one bottom (unten). For MF that would be the ideal combination of Box 69 - unten and box 69 - oben. Translated from german Box 69 -bottom and Box 69 - top. The only advantage from the larger boxes giving you shorter exposer times.
For 35 mm there is a similar set of boxes. Only practical when you want the shortest times.

A other very hard to souce sulution two do small neg's on the 1840 will be a bimabox setup. Basically the use off the light boxes from the durst 805. Besides the 805 boxes and neg stage you need a box 69-uben a special lightbox unten and the Rollfimneg 1840. This give you easy access to the smal neg holder. When doing production this can speed up your work flow.

cyrus
30-Oct-2011, 22:48
It's hard to understand your question. In previous post you say you use a 80 mm on your 1840. So I presume that part is already solved. The light boxes always go in pairs. One top (uber) one bottom (unten). For MF that would be the ideal combination of Box 69 - unten and box 69 - oben. Translated from german Box 69 -bottom and Box 69 - top. The only advantage from the larger boxes giving you shorter exposer times.
For 35 mm there is a similar set of boxes. Only practical when you want the shortest times.

A other very hard to souce sulution two do small neg's on the 1840 will be a bimabox setup. Basically the use off the light boxes from the durst 805. Besides the 805 boxes and neg stage you need a box 69-uben a special lightbox unten and the Rollfimneg 1840. This give you easy access to the smal neg holder. When doing production this can speed up your work flow.

Getting all these weird-named parts to work has been trial and error and I just wanted to make sure I'm doing it right. Is the top part lightbox called an oben and the bottom part called a larabox, regardless of what format? It seems that way ...

cyrus
30-Oct-2011, 22:53
For a specific example if I were to enlarge a 6x6cm negative I'd use:

Larabox 69 top and bottom pieces
Negateil 10x10 glass carrier with a 6x9cm cardboard mask below the carrier.
Alternate: Laraneg 10x10 glass carrier with 6x9cm mask (Homaskset copy) mounted below the carrier
Setopla 25mm thread recessed lensboard with 80mm Componon screwed into that mounted on a Tripla or Unipla
Alternate: screw a 39mm thread 80mm lens on the heavily recessed Laratub.

OK so I guess I've go that set up right as it has been working.
I use the laratub for 80mm (and hotub fpr 150mm) which works but is inconvenient as you ca't see the aperture setting
I also have the laraneg on which I use a plastic mask
I have the turret but don[t know If I should use it as apparently it requires special adaptor lensboards

gary mulder
31-Oct-2011, 01:58
Sorry for the inconvenience that in some parts of the world they speak a different language than english, and say uben if they mean top. :D

If you have a durst turret the adaptor lensboards are the Lapla xx. Where xx stands for the thread diameter. For most 150 mm's you will need a Lapla 50. Those are not hard to find.

ic-racer
31-Oct-2011, 07:08
OK so I guess I've go that set up right as it has been working.
I use the laratub for 80mm (and hotub fpr 150mm) which works but is inconvenient as you ca't see the aperture setting
I also have the laraneg on which I use a plastic mask
I have the turret but don[t know If I should use it as apparently it requires special adaptor lensboards

The turret will comfortably handle lenses from 150 to 240. Maybe 105 and 300 also. When I mount my 80mm in the turret the lens needs to be removed to spin the turrent.

cyrus
31-Oct-2011, 08:10
Sorry for the inconvenience that in some parts of the world they speak a different language than english, and say uben if they mean top. :D

If you have a durst turret the adaptor lensboards are the Lapla xx. Where xx stands for the thread diameter. For most 150 mm's you will need a Lapla 50. Those are not hard to find.

But it (not sure what, exactly) is not called "Uben" - it is called Oben.
Heck if Durst was consistently using the German language I would not complain one bit but they've created their own language. Have you attached your bimaneg to your hotub today with a fimflapety flop?

cyrus
31-Oct-2011, 08:19
The turret will comfortably handle lenses from 150 to 240.

ReallY? LOL - that's not exactly a wide range of lenses typically used for enlargement.

gary mulder
31-Oct-2011, 08:22
http://www.vocabulix.com/translation/german/above.html

cyrus
31-Oct-2011, 08:28
http://www.vocabulix.com/translation/german/above.html

Above. Got it. Above what? What's above what? I'm guessing this means that the top part light box is an "Oben".
Strangely, there's no German translation for valpa, larabox or bimaneg or ... :p

*Sigh* I've loved working with this enlarger, despite the nagging questions that arise when trying to figure out what the different names are for the bits and pieces I should get for different formats.

cyrus
31-Oct-2011, 08:34
Ps: "stafobox"???

gary mulder
31-Oct-2011, 09:37
This picture shows probably the most convenient way to handle a 80 mm on a 1840. With a Unipla and a recessed lens board nr 0839. This way you can still see the aperture setting.

cyrus
31-Oct-2011, 12:34
This picture shows probably the most convenient way to handle a 80 mm on a 1840. With a Unipla and a recessed lens board nr 0839. This way you can still see the aperture setting.

Ah, thank you - that is good to see.
So basically there are really two "lensboards" involved -one is the unipla, and the other is...number 0839?
Does a lapa 39 go into the unipla too? Or is that a setopla?
unipla's come in different sized openings?

I'M SO CONFUSED!

gary mulder
31-Oct-2011, 14:11
The 0839 is a recessed board with a 8 mm recess and a 39 mm thread. In the late 90's Durst began to number ????
The earlier 0839's are called Setopla. The Setopla and the Lapla will al go into the Unipla and the turret called Tripla.
The later cannot be turned with a recessed board fitted. But will do the job with 2 dummy plates ore lenses on flat boards in the other 2 positions. The turret is thicker and i do not know if 8 mm recess will be sufficient to focus all 80 mm lenses working large prints. My rodagon-N 80mm will focus in a turrent on a 8 mm recess to at least 1,2 meter and shorter.
The Lapla and Setopla are the lens board for the smaller durst enlarger's like the 805 and 1200 and many others. So they can be found easy.

cyrus
31-Oct-2011, 18:25
The 0839 is a recessed board with a 8 mm recess and a 39 mm thread. In the late 90's Durst began to number ????
The earlier 0839's are called Setopla.

Yes, naturally. Because consistency could just possibly make some sense, and obviously we can't have THAT now, can we?

Thanks for your info nonetheless. Can you tell me what's a Valpa? I have one apparently with a 42mm, hole non-threaded. Not sure what lens would be used for that on an 8x10.

ic-racer
31-Oct-2011, 19:18
ReallY? LOL - that's not exactly a wide range of lenses typically used for enlargement.

Yes, and therefore making it much cheaper that a Vapla or Unipla on the used market.

However, if you push it to the limits it covers 35mm to 8x10. I use the 80mm for 35mm and the 240mm can be used for 8x10. (The picture shows the 240mm removed and the 80mm in its place).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ic-racer/three1.jpg

ic-racer
31-Oct-2011, 19:25
Per the manual: The upper and lower mxing box section together form a unit wth the code LABABOX.

The individual pieces are labeled Unten and Oben. The guy on ebay selling the "LARABOXES" is not correct. He only has the Oben parts, so its not really a LARABOX.

gary mulder
1-Nov-2011, 01:02
Yes, naturally. Because consistency could just possibly make some sense, and obviously we can't have THAT now, can we?

Thanks for your info nonetheless. Can you tell me what's a Valpa? I have one apparently with a 42mm, hole non-threaded. Not sure what lens would be used for that on an 8x10.

Don't know a Valpa. Maybe you mean Vapla. Than it's a board that is not jet machined to a specific lens.

cyrus
1-Nov-2011, 12:21
Per the manual: The upper and lower mxing box section together form a unit wth the code LABABOX.

The individual pieces are labeled Unten and Oben. The guy on ebay selling the "LARABOXES" is not correct. He only has the Oben parts, so its not really a LARABOX.

LOL I need an aspirin!

OK thanks.
Ok now if you look INSIDE the "Uten" (the lower part box) there is inside there, a removable part of the lightbox. What's that called? Is that a "stafobox"? Does that mean that you can have one "exterior" box, and switch out the interior part for different formats?

cyrus
1-Nov-2011, 12:26
Don't know a Valpa. Maybe you mean Vapla. Than it's a board that is not jet machined to a specific lens.

Vapla. Yes. sorry.

Oh so I would need to machine it to fit my lens. OK thanks. I assume since the hole is already larger than 39mm that it can't be machined to take 39mm lenses.

ic-racer
1-Nov-2011, 17:16
Vapla. Yes. sorry.

Oh so I would need to machine it to fit my lens. OK thanks. I assume since the hole is already larger than 39mm that it can't be machined to take 39mm lenses.

Usually you would bolt a flange to the Vapla and screw the lens into the flange.

Here is an example:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ic-racer/MountedFujinon250.jpg

I got lucky finding that flange in the picture, but sometimes flanges can be hard to come by in the correct thread size. SK Grimes can make any flange and they can make the lip big enough to cover the hole in the Vapla, or enlarge the Vapla if the hole is too small. They like to have both the lens and lensboard so they know how big they need to make the flange lip.

cyrus
1-Nov-2011, 19:54
Usually you would bolt a flange to the Vapla and screw the lens into the flange.

Here is an example:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ic-racer/MountedFujinon250.jpg

I got lucky finding that flange in the picture, but sometimes flanges can be hard to come by in the correct thread size. SK Grimes can make any flange and they can make the lip big enough to cover the hole in the Vapla, or enlarge the Vapla if the hole is too small. They like to have both the lens and lensboard so they know how big they need to make the flange lip.

Thanks I have a similar arrangement for my 360mm lens however I didn't know what I could do with the extra un-machined Vapla I also had, esp if I wanted ot use them for smaller lenses. I guess some sort of rear retaining ring would also be an option.

gary mulder
2-Nov-2011, 00:32
With a short focal on a flat board you will run into problems with the minimum bellows. And in the process using minimum bellows having alignment issues.
Personally I would not go shorter than 90 mm on a flat board. And even that is pushing the limits.

cyrus
2-Nov-2011, 07:47
With a short focal on a flat board you will run into problems with the minimum bellows. And in the process using minimum bellows having alignment issues.
Personally I would not go shorter than 90 mm on a flat board. And even that is pushing the limits.

Thank you this has been very helpful in confirming that I generally have this set up correctly. I enjoy using this enlarger very much so I wanted to use it for smaller formats, getting rid of my other enlager and opening some room in my darkroom. When I got the durst the previous owner had shimmed the baseboard because he thought it was out of alignment. I used my versalab laser alignment tool without the shims and discovered that everything was perfectly aligned, even after going through a move via truck, and didn't require me to do anything.

Kimberly Anderson
2-Nov-2011, 07:57
Thanks I have a similar arrangement for my 360mm lens however I didn't know what I could do with the extra un-machined Vapla I also had, esp if I wanted ot use them for smaller lenses. I guess some sort of rear retaining ring would also be an option.

Well...I am going through my Durst stuff and have lots of goodies to trade...would you be willing to part with your un-machined Vapla? I need one for my 300...the one that's already on my 360 won't work.

I'm making a video right now showing all of the stuff I picked up last weekend.

cyrus
2-Nov-2011, 08:00
Well...I am going through my Durst stuff and have lots of goodies to trade...would you be willing to part with your un-machined Vapla? I need one for my 300...the one that's already on my 360 won't work.

I'm making a video right now showing all of the stuff I picked up last weekend.

Go on and tempt me :p but I warn you that it is the only lensboard on the durst I have that has the red filter attachment so I'm thinking of keeping and using it for that particular reason

Kimberly Anderson
2-Nov-2011, 08:26
I'll take this private. Hehe. ;)

ic-racer
2-Nov-2011, 10:52
Vapla and a Unipla on Ebay now. (not mine)

Kimberly Anderson
3-Nov-2011, 12:01
Sweet.