PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my Epson 4870 - HELP!

Robert Kalman
26-Oct-2011, 14:52
The accompanying shots will illustrate a problem that has just surfaced. I'm getting a hairline across the width of the negative.

I've ruled out:

The negatives themselves are clean; no hairline. Therefore, it's not the camera.

I've scanned new negatives and old negatives, which had no previous problems. Therefore it's not the processing or the camera.

I've scanned the negative right side up and upside down. The hairline exists in the same spot. It's got to be the scanner (Epson 4870) or the Silverfast 8 software (unlikely).

Any suggestions on how to fix??

Thanks.

Jon Shiu
26-Oct-2011, 15:19
Make sure the glass is clean in the calibration area at the back end of the glass.

Jon

Robert Kalman
26-Oct-2011, 16:15
Make sure the glass is clean in the calibration area at the back end of the glass.

Jon

I forgot to mention that I cleaned the glass, both topside and flatbed, thoroughly.

sully75
26-Oct-2011, 16:18
I think I had this happen once and then it went away.

Uninstall the drivers and epson scan?

Winger
26-Oct-2011, 17:21
What about cleaning the holder you're using? Doesn't that scanner reference the holder as it starts to scan? It might be "reading" something there that's causing it to make a line.

Jon Shiu
26-Oct-2011, 17:45
If there is some kind of dust on the sensor, you might try to do several scans with the scanner on it's side, which might dislodge it.

Jon