PDA

View Full Version : pronounce it

johnielvis
25-Oct-2011, 05:06
ok, I've been confused on how to pronounce "verito"

I'm not as old as the old timers that were there when they came out, so I want to know from the "horses mouth" how this is pronounced:

is it vurrito (like burrito)?
is it varytoe (very toe)?
or vare it toe ?

I became confused with apo symmar--when I bought my first lens I got it from badger and I order it over the phone with symmar pronounced like the first part of "symmetry", since I figured the name was derived from the fact that it was a pretty much symmetrical lens....

the guy taking the order corrected me---he pronounced symmar like sime marr....with the "sym" part pronounced like "slime".....I still belive my pronunciation to be correct...but then again....maybe it aint....

how do you pronounce that...

ALSO---"sinar'....sometimes its SIN NARRR...sometimes it's SINE NARR...which is it....

what does sinar stand for...I hypothesized that it comes from "Science, Industry, Nature, Archetecture, Reproduction"......like an acronym.....

ANYWAYS....VERITO---what's right with with the pronunciation...or IS there one?

tomato tomAHto

Fotoguy20d
25-Oct-2011, 05:53
Not that I know anything about anything but I've been using your second pronunciation for verito and your pronunciation for symmar.

Dan

William Whitaker
25-Oct-2011, 05:54
I've always pronounced it VEHR-ih-toe, but there are lots of folks who pronounce it to rhyme with "Dorito". I think Wollensak probably was playing on the latin "veritas" with some of their lens-naming scheme. I don't know that for a fact, but it seems plausible from some of the old advertising and lens caps I've read. So I've kept my pronunciation along that line. But who's to say what's right as long as we agree on the price?...

Jim Noel
25-Oct-2011, 07:02
very-toe

Paul Fitzgerald
25-Oct-2011, 07:05
"I've always pronounced it VEHR-ih-toe"

same here

Emmanuel BIGLER
25-Oct-2011, 07:10
Hello from Old Europe !

As far as the trade name "Symmar(TM)" is concerned, since it is a trade name, and not a common name listed in an English dictionnary, it is like a family name, it should be pronounced ... like the family wants it ;)
I have a true story supporting this, regarding family names.
When I was a student, I spent one year in Alsace in Strasbourg (Straßburg, if you prefer) where many families have a name of German origin. But since Alsace is in France, this yields some delicate questions. Two students were named "Mr. Klein". The first one insisted that his name should be pronoucned K-l-ah-ï-n like "klein = small" in German; and the other insisted that his name should be pronounced like the French sound "clin". (very difficult to properly transcribe in English ;)

So you should actually feel free to pronounce "Symmar(TM)" as you like it.

If we want t keep close to the actual German pronunciation, we should also keep in mind that some day, a famous German manufacturer of photographic equipment (not famous for being active in the field of LF photography) had registered the trade name "Summar".
In German, "u" is like "ou" in French or 'y' in Russian, but the true sound does not strictly exist in English.
In German, with an umlaut, "ü" sounds like the German "y", not the Russian one, like in "Gymnasium". Hence, if I remember properly my academic German, "Symmar" or "Sümmar" with an umlaut on top of the "u" should be the same.
However, "S" in German is pronounced "Z" ....
So, do what you wish until one the the forum members of German, Austrian or Swiss-German origin corrects us if we are plain wrong...

Dan Fromm
25-Oct-2011, 08:14
Emmanuel, in my limited experience US citizens are unique in wanting to pronounce foreign words as is correct in their native language. I find our practice strange since everywhere else in the world people seem to pronounce foreign words in their own language.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
25-Oct-2011, 08:20
...I think Wollensak probably was playing on the latin "veritas" with some of their lens-naming scheme...

I have always assume this was the case.

Jay DeFehr
25-Oct-2011, 08:37
I'm with the veritas-Verito crowd.

Vaughn
25-Oct-2011, 08:47
Thankfully, I never have had a reason to pronounce those words...:D

E. von Hoegh
25-Oct-2011, 09:14
Veritas - Verito

Symmetry - Symmar.

jp
25-Oct-2011, 09:15
options 3/2 were most common for Verito at the two soft focus workshops I've attended, probably because it looks Latin.

I've heard sinar as sigh-nar and see-nar.

Many names have local variations like we American pronounce jaguar as jag-whar, but a British motoring enthusiast *might* say it jag-you-were.

I've pronounced Symmar as sim-marr and haven't been corrected or looked at strangely as a result.

I used to hear people say Nikon as knee-con rather than Nigh-con too, but the second pronounciation seems to have won out.

Lynn Jones
25-Oct-2011, 09:18
Right or wrong, I'm older than you guys and I have always used the first pronunciation.
As I say, it doesn't mean a thing.

Lynn

dsphotog
25-Oct-2011, 09:34
Then there's the Wollensak Ray-dar vs Rahd-ar controversy.

goamules
25-Oct-2011, 09:48
I'm in the southwest, so Verito-burrito seems more natural. However, I recall several older photographers (70+) using the other pronunciation.

johnielvis
25-Oct-2011, 09:53
Well...at least I'm not the only one.....so it REALLY IS potato potahtoe.....

it's liek the FIRST time I say somethign, that's what STICKS....like FOREVER....

I still say MOLY BEND UMM....a dyslixic misprooununciation in my chilhood....I KNOW it's MOE LIB DOE NUM,but the early learning sticks like nothing else.

first time I saw verito I thought vare uh toe...now that's how i READ it when I seee it..

but then I started thinging of the vesta....and that sounded latin...so then I figured that this was like "burrito"....so it looks like I'll be getting corrected NO MATTER how I pronounce it...

oh well...what in a name....a rose by any other-right?

OH...another one....ethereal......I found out later about "ether"....but earlier on in my youth I read it as ETH REAL....since I knew what "real" was but not "ether"....when I see a word I recognize, then that's how that portion of the new word gets pronounced....if I had known about ether before I knew about real, I would have got it right....

E. von Hoegh
25-Oct-2011, 09:55
Then there's the Wollensak Ray-dar vs Rahd-ar controversy.

I thought that was the Gundlach Radar?

Scott Walker
25-Oct-2011, 09:59
"I've always pronounced it VEHR-ih-toe"

same here

Me too

Steve Smith
25-Oct-2011, 10:09
I used to hear people say Nikon as knee-con rather than Nigh-con too, but the second pronounciation seems to have won out.

That's one word not to pronounce wrong! (pronunciation).

I have always heard Nikon as Nick-on rather than your two examples and have always said it that way myself.

Steve.

Frank Petronio
25-Oct-2011, 10:20
I think "Verito" is pronounced "Galli or Eddie have all my money".

Fotoguy20d
25-Oct-2011, 10:31

Yes, in this case, "wollensak" is pronounced gund-loch or is that gund-lack or good-luck

E. von Hoegh
25-Oct-2011, 10:32
Yes, in this case, "wollensak" is pronounced gund-loch or is that gund-lack or good-luck

Ah. Thank you!;)

Kerry L. Thalmann
25-Oct-2011, 11:01

I blame Paul Simon, because he has a NIGH-kon camera and he LOVES to take photographs.

Kerry

E. von Hoegh
25-Oct-2011, 11:06
Heard some one pronounce Zeiss "zeese". Everyone knows it rhymes with ice, or so I thought.

Scott Davis
25-Oct-2011, 11:19
Reminds me of the Monty Python sketch about the man whose name is pronounced Raymond Luxury Yacht, spelled S-M-I-T-H.

David Lindquist
25-Oct-2011, 18:48
And then there are those who not only pronounce "Goerz" with a "T", they spell it that way too.
David

dsphotog
25-Oct-2011, 19:10

Oops, thanx for noticing!

E. von Hoegh
27-Oct-2011, 07:29
And then there are those who not only pronounce "Goerz" with a "T", they spell it that way too.
David

So how do you pronounce it?:)

Tony Lakin
27-Oct-2011, 08:19
Emmanuel, in my limited experience US citizens are unique in wanting to pronounce foreign words as is correct in their native language. I find our practice strange since everywhere else in the world people seem to pronounce foreign words in their own language.

Apart from Las Vegas perhaps, I have heard the name pronounced Los Vegas hundreds of times on US TV, and why have there been so many changes to native American place names?:D

Fotoguy20d
27-Oct-2011, 08:22
And how about that university with the famous football team near South Bend? Sounds nothing like the cathedral in Paris.

Tracy Storer
27-Oct-2011, 08:27
Apart from Las Vegas perhaps, I have heard the name pronounced Los Vegas hundreds of times on US TV, and why have there been so many changes to native American place names?:D

"Loss" Vegas ?

Tony Lakin
27-Oct-2011, 08:30
The one I don't get is Kyvytar???:confused:

Dan Fromm
27-Oct-2011, 08:48
y = i

Tony Lakin
27-Oct-2011, 08:52
"Loss" Vegas ?

Is that why Americans pronounce it that way? never heard that take on it before:D

E. von Hoegh
27-Oct-2011, 08:55
And how about that university with the famous football team near South Bend? Sounds nothing like the cathedral in Paris.

Do you mean "noter dayme"? I doubt most of them even know there is a cathedral in Paris.

Tony Lakin
27-Oct-2011, 09:02
y = i

Thanks:) , I thought it would be, seems a bit strange to me though, people visiting our island get very confused with pronouncing names which are a mixture of Gaelic and Norse, ie Kewish or Kaighin or Niarbyl many of our old names have been Anglicised.

aduncanson
27-Oct-2011, 09:20

Well some Americans, maybe. South Bend's famous university has already been cited. But I have lived my life in two US States that offer an abundance of unconventional pronunciations for appropriated place names.

Athens, IL (with a long A)
Cairo, IL (again with a long A sound)
San Jose, IL (as San Joes)
Peru, IN (PEEru - believe it or not)
Marseilles, IL (Mar Sales)
Versailles, IN (Ver Sales - of course)

And many, many more. I had a California born uncle who made a life's entertainment of collecting similar examples of Midwestern folly.

On the other hand it was not until I started watching British TV shows that I ever heard anybody drop the final t in "restaurant" suggesting the word's French origin.

Closer to the original topic of this thread, I recall Modern Photography magazine publishing a brief article on this subject back in the early '70s. I think that they informed us that we should be saying nEEkon (or was it nickon), sEEnar and most startling: miniroota.

Mark Sampson
27-Oct-2011, 09:38
Well this sort of thing is seen in many places. In my home town of Rahh-chester is the neighborhood called Charlotte, pronounced sha-LOTT. Nearby is the town of Chili, pronounced CHIE-lie.
And when visiting the south of England, I found Beaulieu, normally pronounced BOWL-you; the locals know it as BYOU-lee.

Ari
27-Oct-2011, 09:54
In Verito Veritas.

Dan Fromm
27-Oct-2011, 10:41
Well some Americans, maybe. South Bend's famous university has already been cited. But I have lived my life in two US States that offer an abundance of unconventional pronunciations for appropriated place names.

Athens, IL (with a long A)
Cairo, IL (again with a long A sound)
San Jose, IL (as San Joes)
Peru, IN (PEEru - believe it or not)
Marseilles, IL (Mar Sales)
Versailles, IN (Ver Sales - of course)

And many, many more. I had a California born uncle who made a life's entertainment of collecting similar examples of Midwestern folly.

On the other hand it was not until I started watching British TV shows that I ever heard anybody drop the final t in "restaurant" suggesting the word's French origin.

Closer to the original topic of this thread, I recall Modern Photography magazine publishing a brief article on this subject back in the early '70s. I think that they informed us that we should be saying nEEkon (or was it nickon), sEEnar and most startling: miniroota.

Good point. I was thinking of restaurant menus. Hasn't Kayro, IL been washed away by now?

Dan Fromm
27-Oct-2011, 10:43
Well this sort of thing is seen in many places. In my home town of Rahh-chester is the neighborhood called Charlotte, pronounced sha-LOTT. Nearby is the town of Chili, pronounced CHIE-lie.
And when visiting the south of England, I found Beaulieu, normally pronounced BOWL-you; the locals know it as BYOU-lee.Chez Chambless Cine Equipment, Beaulieu is pronounced Baloo.

Mark Sampson
27-Oct-2011, 11:08
Dan, either way, the English refuse to use the French pronunciation...

c.d.ewen
27-Oct-2011, 13:10
But I have lived my life in two US States that offer an abundance of unconventional pronunciations for appropriated place names.

Driving on I-80 through Western Pennsylvania, my wife and I stopped in DuBois for the night. While eating dinner in the next town down the road, the friendly waitress asked where we were staying. In Doo-Bwah, we replied. She stared at us quizzically for several seconds, then said, "Oh, you mean da-boyzee?".

The locals get to call it what they want.

Charley

John Kasaian
27-Oct-2011, 13:55

Ahh, Dan (shakes head in dismay) then why do butcher the names of capitol cities with Pair-iss, Row-mmm, Vee-enna and Mew-nick?:rolleyes:

John Kasaian
27-Oct-2011, 14:00
Not to mention Venn-iss and Floor-rinse!

E. von Hoegh
27-Oct-2011, 14:01
Hell, we not only pronounce them differently, we often spell them differently.

E. von Hoegh
27-Oct-2011, 14:02
Not to mention Venn-iss and Floor-rinse!

And Nay-pulls.:)

Jim Rice
27-Oct-2011, 16:37
I'm from the southeastern United (yeah, right) States, so I always assume my pronunciation is in error. For the record, when I asked Jim at Midwest Photo about a SIGH-mar S he didn't bat an eye but sold me a SIGH-roh-nar N. Its my understanding that he is a really nice guy, though. I forget who exactly I asked about a RISE tripod, but he laughed and laughed.

Jim Graves
27-Oct-2011, 17:00
Is that why Americans pronounce it that way? never heard that take on it before:D

Actually, most of us don't call it "Lost" Vegas ... we call it "Lost Wages."

Struan Gray
28-Oct-2011, 00:05
Ahh, Dan (shakes head in dismay) then why do butcher the names of capitol cities with Pair-iss, Row-mmm, Vee-enna and Mew-nick?:rolleyes:

Then there are those who pronounce Munich as if it were a German word, with a teutonic 'ichhhhh'.

Niepce always gives me problems. Even after quizzing various native French speakers, I can't help thinking of 'neeps', the word used in Scotland for swedes. Or should that be rutabagas? Snaggers? Brassica Napus? In any case, I grew up eating the holy trio of Tatis, Mince and Niepce, and it's hard to shake the association.

I use both See-nar and Sigh-nar. The latter in English, the former in Germanic tongues. Nikon however is always, religiously, Nick-on.

If I ever set up a camera manufactury, it will be in Kircudbrightshire, with investment from the Chomondley estates. Name? Syzygy Optyka.

Tony Lakin
28-Oct-2011, 00:32
Then there are those who pronounce Munich as if it were a German word, with a teutonic 'ichhhhh'.

Niepce always gives me problems. Even after quizzing various native French speakers, I can't help thinking of 'neeps', the word used in Scotland for swedes. Or should that be rutabagas? Snaggers? Brassica Napus? In any case, I grew up eating the holy trio of Tatis, Mince and Niepce, and it's hard to shake the association.

I use both See-nar and Sigh-nar. The latter in English, the former in Germanic tongues. Nikon however is always, religiously, Nick-on.

If I ever set up a camera manufactury, it will be in Kircudbrightshire, with investment from the Chomondley estates. Name? Syzygy Optyka.

We have many Scottish people here on the Isle Of Man, I have never heard one of them refer to Swedish people as Neeps:D

Incidentally we have an ancient unrepealed law that any born and bred Manxman has a legal right to shoot any Scotsman wearing a kilt if he is situated below the high tide mark.

Struan Gray
28-Oct-2011, 00:47
We have many Scottish people here on the Isle Of Man,

There's an old saw about how when a Scotsman moves to live in England it improves the average intelligence of both countries.

Incidentally we have an ancient unrepealed law that any born and bred Manxman has a legal right to shoot any Scotsman wearing a kilt if he is situated below the high tide mark.

A rising tide is supposed to lift all boats, and medieval viking earldoms were notoriously finickity about public decorum.

I'd love to visit Man. I grew up partly in Morayshire, another area with strong mixed Gaelic and Norse roots, and these days we spend our summers in the N.W. Highlands, where the Norse influence lies everywhere just under the surface. My wife, bless her, famously once tried, and failed, to read the newest roadsign in the village as a Gaelic transliteration: 'Bea-ach'.

Steve Smith
28-Oct-2011, 02:18
Nikon however is always, religiously, Nick-on.

That makes two of us then!

I can't help thinking of 'neeps', the word used in Scotland for swedes.

Turnips (tur-neeps).

Steve.

Steve Smith
28-Oct-2011, 02:21

Or Moscow. (coe, not cow).

Steve.

Tony Lakin
28-Oct-2011, 04:22
That makes two of us then!

Turnips (tur-neeps).

Steve.

I don't know if the Scottish Neeps applies to swedes or turnips, children here used to use swedes to make halloween lanterns, now pumpkins seem to be used for this purpose.

On the Isle Of Man swedes are known as moots by the locals.

Steve Smith
28-Oct-2011, 07:13
I don't know if the Scottish Neeps applies to swedes or turnips.

Actually, I'm not too sure now either! I always assumed it was turnips shortened to 'nips then neeps.

Steve.

Frank Petronio
28-Oct-2011, 07:25
Google Maps on the Droid pronounces Syracuse, NY as "SiiRAC-uush".

Chili, NY sounds nothing like the country or food to a local but Google doesn't know that.

Batavia, NY gets called 'Baa tah vee A".

Medina, NY as well.

E. von Hoegh
28-Oct-2011, 07:41
Actually, I'm not too sure now either! I always assumed it was turnips shortened to 'nips then neeps.

Steve.

http://www.britannia.com/cooking/recipes/bashedneeps.html

E. von Hoegh
28-Oct-2011, 07:42
Google Maps on the Droid pronounces Syracuse, NY as "SiiRAC-uush".

Chili, NY sounds nothing like the country or food to a local but Google doesn't know that.

Batavia, NY gets called 'Baa tah vee A".

Medina, NY as well.

I wonder what they do to"Schenectady"?

Steve Smith
28-Oct-2011, 08:27
http://www.britannia.com/cooking/recipes/bashedneeps.html

So the Scottish turnip is called a Swede in England. So what are those things we English refer to as turnips? Or are they the same thing?

Steve.

Tony Lakin
28-Oct-2011, 10:56
So the Scottish turnip is called a Swede in England. So what are those things we English refer to as turnips? Or are they the same thing?

Steve.

In GB turnips are smaller than swedes, I would say that turnips usually grow to about 5 inches in diameter swedes about 10-12 inches, now lets discuss mangold wurzels:D

E. von Hoegh
28-Oct-2011, 11:14
Aren't they a white beet fed to cows? I've a relative in Germany that grows them, and taters.

Struan Gray
28-Oct-2011, 11:23
In 70's Lossiemouth turnips were turnips and neeps were neeps. School dinners in Hampshire at the same time (Navy child - we moved a lot) called the same things turnips and swedes.

They're related, both brassicas, unlike Mangelwurzels, which are beets, and really only fed to animals.

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutabaga) has the details.

Alltogether now.....

I've got a brand new combine harvester
and I'll give you the key.

Tony Lakin
28-Oct-2011, 12:09
In 70's Lossiemouth turnips were turnips and neeps were neeps. School dinners in Hampshire at the same time (Navy child - we moved a lot) called the same things turnips and swedes.

They're related, both brassicas, unlike Mangelwurzels, which are beets, and really only fed to animals.

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutabaga) has the details.

Alltogether now.....

I've got a brand new combine harvester
and I'll give you the key.

Our cousins from around the world may not be aware of this great song so here is a link:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-BRNxprK28

Struan Gray
28-Oct-2011, 12:52
Not all shibboleths involve pronunciation :-)

rdenney
28-Oct-2011, 12:59
Back to topic, despite the entertaining aspect of how the Scots describe turnips.

In my youth, Sinar was always sigh-nar. Lately, I've taken to See-nar. But it is an acronym, so the correct pronunciation is whatever the Koches used back in the day. Has anyone ever heard it pronounced by one of them?

Nikon will always be nigh-kahn, and if that annoys either Nikon owners or the British (or, for bonus points, British Nikon owners), so much the better.

Veteran of German-immigrant beer-tent polka bands that I am, Leica is always like-eh and Ries is always reese. And Goerz is gortz, for the same reason that Mozart is moat-zart.

Symmar has always been sigh-mar for me, and I'm too old to change it now. But Sironar is sear-o-nar.

I grew up in Texas, so if I get into butchered Hispanic place names, I'll be here all day. Listening to the British butcher French suggests to me, however, that gringomouth knows no boundaries.

Rick "thinking coiners of non-word brand names get what they get if they don't provide a pronunciation guide" Denney

E. von Hoegh
28-Oct-2011, 13:13
Our cousins from around the world may not be aware of this great song so here is a link:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-BRNxprK28

And the original.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvIjQSFLb3U

Uri A
28-Oct-2011, 16:36
Having spent some years early in my career assisting photogs in Sydney and NY, I had to learn to switch pronounciations as I moved cities. If I went into a NY rental house I had to ask for SIGH-nar, NIGH-kon, etc. Back in Sydney I'd request SINN-ar, NICK-on, etc.

The most confusing one (not a pronounciation issue) was switching between "eight ten" or "four five" (NY) and "ten eight" or "five four" (Sydney). Getting it wrong at the lab in either country would produce a blank stare.

Interestingly, since there are now so very few LF photogs and labs in Sydney and most of them seem to attract a worldwide clientele, the Aussies have drifted towards the US film sizes (though never the brand pronounciations).

Steve Smith
29-Oct-2011, 00:12
Pronunciation. Not pronounciation!

Steve.

John Koehrer
29-Oct-2011, 20:32
two countries separated by a common language :P

johnielvis
30-Oct-2011, 09:57
oh...does ANYBODY know the SINAR origin?.....I think I heard one time it's an acronym....orig post:

what does sinar stand for...I hypothesized that it comes from "Science, Industry, Nature, Archetecture, Reproduction"......like an acronym.....

or is it just a name....at any rate...I think that I'm gonna start telling EVERYONE that it's an acronym and use the above definition....in about 10 years of spreading this new truth, it will be de-facto true...people will read it and accept it without question....

ahhh...the power of the media

Ari
30-Oct-2011, 10:05
oh...does ANYBODY know the SINAR origin?.....I think I heard one time it's an acronym....orig post:

or is it just a name....at any rate...I think that I'm gonna start telling EVERYONE that it's an acronym and use the above definition....in about 10 years of spreading this new truth, it will be de-facto true...people will read it and accept it without question....

ahhh...the power of the media

You were right the first time: it's an acronym, exactly as you stated.

Sirius Glass
6-Nov-2011, 16:23
There's an old saw about how when a Scotsman moves to live in England it improves the average intelligence of both countries.

That is a misquote of Will Rogers. He is the first one to use that context to describe the Okie migration to California during the Dust Bowl days.

Struan Gray
7-Nov-2011, 00:16
That is a misquote of Will Rogers. He is the first one to use that context to describe the Okie migration to California during the Dust Bowl days.

Interesting to know the source. It went viral some time back though. I've heard Norwegians say it of Sweden, Aussies say it of Tasmania, Marines say it of those going on secondment to the Army, and North Londoners say it about Saath of the River.

<auth>
Bang went sixpence!
</auth>