PDA

View Full Version : Salt hill print dryer, material sources

jeroldharter
21-Oct-2011, 21:15
I picked up a Salt Hill print drier for fiber paper which is a nice unit. But the materials on the inside are old and the foam is discolored so I want to replace it.

I found the corrugated board and filter paper at Dick Blick. But I can't fine the 12x18 inch sheets of foam, maybe 1/8 inch thick. It is an obscure item, but does anybody know whe I could find replacement foam? Thanks.

ic-racer
21-Oct-2011, 21:48
Did you try mcmaster carr?

jeroldharter
21-Oct-2011, 22:34
Did you try mcmaster carr?

Thanks for the reference. Amazing website. One problem I have is that I don't know the proper name of the foam sheeting. It looks like cheap, flimsy, floppy, thin white foam. Tomorrow I will take some to the local craft and fabric stores to see if I can match it.

McMaster Carr seems to have every product ever produced so I am lost unless I know precisely what I am looking for.

Does anyone have one of these print driers?

ic-racer
22-Oct-2011, 15:06
Polyurethane foam may work. What does the foam do in the print dryer? Does it get hot?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#foam/=elubhq

jeroldharter
22-Oct-2011, 15:32
The prints are sandwiched between two pieces of heavy filter paper, acid free corrugated board, and the thin slice of foam.

I think the foam provides some porous air space to aid evaporation.

I went to a fabric store today. They had sheets of colored craft foam but it was too dense and stiff. The only possible substitute that I found was the thinnest polyester batting. It is a bit too thick and amorphous, but it could suffice until I come across the proper foam.

Jim Michael
22-Oct-2011, 17:00
Probably open cell foam? Grainger (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/foam-blanks-flats-bars-plates-and-sheet-stock/foam/raw-materials/ecatalog/N-dcv) is another source.

Erik Larsen
22-Oct-2011, 17:17
Maybe try car headliner foam. Any car upholstery shop will have it. It's about 1/4 thick open cell.
Regards
Erik

John Koehrer
22-Oct-2011, 17:27
underlayment for laminated flooring is white foam, 48" wide ~ 1/8" thick and comes in plenty long rolls.
Don't know heat resistance & stuff.

Fred L
22-Oct-2011, 18:21
The foam on my dryers are about 1/8" thick

jeroldharter
22-Oct-2011, 18:59
Maybe try car headliner foam. Any car upholstery shop will have it. It's about 1/4 thick open cell.
Regards
Erik

That looks like the stuff - the foam but without the liner material.

Thanks for all the leads.

jeroldharter
22-Oct-2011, 19:37
From looking at pictures, I think it is something like polyurethane open cell foam that is used as a pre-filter on air filters. I ordered a roll from McMaster Carr and will see if that works. Thanks again.