PDA

View Full Version : Kadlubeks Objektiv-Katalog, anybody got it?

cyberjunkie
20-Oct-2011, 13:57
I found a few references to Kadlubek's Lens Catalogue, but i couldn't find out if it's mostly about recent small/medium format objectives, making it a worthless purchase for large format vintage lenses enthusiasts.
The book is in german, not a big problem if i could find in it a reliable list of early european lenses. I'd be more than satisfied with a nearly complete list of the more important german lens makers :D
I found no mention of Kadlubek's book on this forum, and the only example pages i could find online were about 35mm lenses.
The photo on the book sleeve represents a wide selection of lenses, at least one is very old. Though i still don't know anything about the book's content.
Is there anybody out there who actually purchased the book?
The tome is widely available (Ebay, Amazon Germany, etc) and not so expensive.
Not so cheap to risk a blind purchase either, so i am looking forward for your input.

have fun

CJ

Steven Tribe
24-Oct-2011, 15:22
Out of curiosity I have done a quick search and attempted to read the German descriptions of the book.
It does cover our objectives but how comprehensive it is, I can't judge. Seems to be basic tables for maker/series with value based on selling prices. Most lenses are not illustrated and no lens x-sections.

Sevo
24-Oct-2011, 17:01
It started out as a camera fair pricing catalogue, and finally grew to have more detailed descriptions and photographs for about 10% of the listed items. The accuracy is a very mixed bag, as pictures, descriptions and pricings often come from seller/collectors specializing in that brand or camera, i.e. sources that can hardly be classified as disinterested.

Not that much large format in there (at any rate beyond the price lists), and where there is, the focus is very much on collectibles - i.e. biased towards the rare, quaint or beautiful rather than the relatively widespread and easily repairable/replaceable gear most of us are hunting for.