PDA

View Full Version : Westminster Mat Board ...?

Noel Peirce
19-Oct-2011, 16:37
For years I purchased mat board from Light Impressions. The Westminster 100% cotton rag, 4 ply, 32x40 was great stuff. The "natural white" had a very nice look and would cut cleanly. I would like to match my existing work with the same board, although it's probably under a different brand name. Now that Light Impressions is more or less gone, does anyone know who the manufacture of that particular board was? Any suggestions or clue how I might match this.

ROL
19-Oct-2011, 16:52
White Rising Museum Board is visibly indistinguishable in both texture and color to "bright white" Westminster. I use it interchangeably with, but prefer it to, Westminster – which I was given. Check Rising (http://risingmuseumboard.com/) for "natural white" compatability.

jeroldharter
19-Oct-2011, 19:56
Talk to Mark at Frame Destinations re Alphrag mat board. He can send you samples promptly if you want. Great service, packing, and bulk discounts. They have 8 ply if you need it.

Noel Peirce
20-Oct-2011, 23:14
Thanks for the information,... much appreciated.

Jon Shiu
20-Oct-2011, 23:29
Also check out a company called Printfile.com. I've bought rag board from them before.

Jon

Drew Wiley
26-Oct-2011, 15:09
For me, Rising has been much more consistent in thickness and therefore in quality of cutting. It is also more widely available. The white color differs just a tiny bit from that of the Westminster. One probably would not notice this from one print to another; but I would not want to mix brands on the same image if both boards were showing, as is the case when the overmat window shows some of the underlying mount itself.