PDA

View Full Version : In praise of famous or should-be-famous teachers

Jim Fuller
17-Oct-2011, 22:05
Most of us have benefited from the encouragement and knowledge of teachers somewhere along the way. It's past time we gave them their due. I’ll start…

Back in 1975 I took a course at the Wadsworth Atheneum in Hartford, CT from Steven Nestler. His encouraging words, his patience with my less than perfect skills, his commitment to the medium, his respect for the power of a great photograph kindled my interest and has sustained me through many long hours in the dark.

Brian C. Miller
17-Oct-2011, 22:41
A coworker, Bob Luhrs, got me going about all of this when I talked to him about photography. I only had a Pentax WR90 P&S at the time, and then I bought my Pentax 6x7.

Vaughn
17-Oct-2011, 22:48
Tom Knight -- created the third university photography program in the US under an art department (in the 1950's). Great photographer, amazing teacher, wonderful person. RIP

Thomas Joshua Cooper -- a student of Tom Knight, and himself an inspiring teacher.

Both have taught me the importance of photography and of personal dedication to the arts.

Scott Walker
19-Oct-2011, 12:06
Ken Sinclair, University of Lethbridge. A man absolutely passionate about photography.

I can honestly say that if I had never met Ken my life would be very different, I would never have even considered going to art school, and I likely wouldn't own anything other than a point & shoot camera today.

Jim Graves
19-Oct-2011, 20:06
Danita Cook ... a Community College teacher who taught me that, while the technical aspects are important, they are only a means to help you get the art ... and, that the art of seeing is 100 times more important than the skill of shooting.