PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Springs on Durst 184

rknewcomb
17-Oct-2011, 08:35
Ok, if you take off the heavy condenser or color head of a Durst 8x10 enlarger, can the counter weight springs be adjusted for the lighter weight of a cold light head or even a 5x7 head?
I've read some of the posts on this forum about those springs and read the Durst Pro pdf about them - It is clear to me that one can get hurt messing with those springs. I am confused a little because most of what I've read seems to be talking about slacking up the springs for a repair/replacement of parts and then returning them to their normal strength function. But, can they be adjusted to better suit a lighter weight head.
thank you!
Robert N.

quine
17-Oct-2011, 18:06
I've adjusted the spring tension for my S-45 (same chassis as the 138). This was relatively easy because the enlarger is bolted to the wall with a steel bracket. I used one socket wrench and one box-end wrench: one wrench keeps the nut from releasing while repositioning the other wrench. I imagine that it might be more difficult on the 184 due to the dual springs.

This document covers the procedure: http://www.durst-pro-usa.com/pdf/manual/L184%20Counter%20Spring%20Adjustment%20Manual.pdf

I recommend being very cautious with this because the springs are very powerful.

Cheers,

-andrew

rknewcomb
18-Oct-2011, 06:36
Thanks Andrew.
That pdf talks about releasing tension on the springs more for the purpose of replacing a broken cable etc. I at least did not find any information on the actual process of tensioning the springs to a lesser level then they were originally but I may have missed that.

Brian K
18-Oct-2011, 07:19
Ok, if you take off the heavy condenser or color head of a Durst 8x10 enlarger, can the counter weight springs be adjusted for the lighter weight of a cold light head or even a 5x7 head?
I've read some of the posts on this forum about those springs and read the Durst Pro pdf about them - It is clear to me that one can get hurt messing with those springs. I am confused a little because most of what I've read seems to be talking about slacking up the springs for a repair/replacement of parts and then returning them to their normal strength function. But, can they be adjusted to better suit a lighter weight head.
thank you!
Robert N.

I would be VERY cautious about messing with the springs on a Durst L184. If you plan on using a lighter head a simpler and safer solution might be to just add some weight to the new head to compensate. Adjusting the existing springs yourself is a risky on many levels, not the least of which is physical injury to yourself or damage to the enlarger.

rknewcomb
18-Oct-2011, 07:29
I would be VERY cautious about messing with the springs on a Durst L184. If you plan on using a lighter head a simpler and safer solution might be to just add some weight to the new head to compensate. Adjusting the existing springs yourself is a risky on many levels, not the least of which is physical injury to yourself or damage to the enlarger.

I've about come to the same conclusion - not worth getting really hurt over. Now, just to find some lead bars.
Thanks!!
Robert

quine
18-Oct-2011, 14:27
Sounds like a good plan.

I keep a couple of five pound weights near the enlarger to fine-tune the balance when I change condensers.

FWIW, the tension can be adjusted once you detach the cable(s) by winding or unwinding the spring, but I wouldn't even think of attempting this without a wall mount.

Cheers,

-andrew