PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if Pyrocat-HD is good?

Steve Goldstein
13-Oct-2011, 05:04
I purchase a Pyrocat-HD-in-glycol kit a couple of years ago from PF. It's remained unopened and cool-stored. Since it's in glycol I believe it should still be good, but am curious if there's some way to gauge its activity short of developing film. For example, should there be a color change when it's mixed?

Jay DeFehr
13-Oct-2011, 07:41
It should be fine, but a clip test will tell you for sure. A short leader of 35mm film and about 50ml of working solution is all that's required, and the test is done in daylight, so it's not much of an inconvenience. If the working solution turns the leader black within a few minutes, you're good to go.

Scott Davis
13-Oct-2011, 08:20
When you mix Pyrocat HD parts A&B, it quickly oxidizes and starts changing color. If it is clear, you're fine. It will still work ok if it is weak tea colored, but if it starts looking like strong tea, better to mix a fresh batch, and if it's anything past that, don't even hesitate to toss it out. I try to use mine within an hour or two at the most of mixing.

Ken Lee
13-Oct-2011, 08:28
Solution A should be a very pale brown. Solution B should be clear.

When mixed, the color should not change appreciably at first, but as Scott pointed out, it will darken with oxidation.

Steve Goldstein
13-Oct-2011, 09:32
Thank you all. I'm sure I can find a sacrificial 35mm clip, and the color information is very helpful.

domaz
13-Oct-2011, 09:48
Be careful relying too much on the color test. I had some that I think I cross containmainated that passed the color test but did not develop.

Steve Goldstein
13-Oct-2011, 11:34
Good point. In my case the chemicals are in the original containers as shipped from the Formulary and have never been opened.

I suppose I should transfer them to glass bottles. In fact, I probably should have done that when I received them :(

Rick A
15-Oct-2011, 06:43
I have Pcat-HD in water that is a couple of years old and very dark, works like new every time. I'm sure your stock in glycol is perfect.

gevalia
15-Oct-2011, 15:52
Okay, I'm going to chime in here and disagree on the color of PHC in glycol. I just developed film today with new bottles from formulary and this is not my 1st time at the rodeo with the glycol version. I have never seen Pyrocat-HD Glycol change colors when A and B are mixed - regardless of how long I wait. I've gone through a large # of bottles and this has always been the case for me while Pyrocat-HD (non-glycol) does actually change color. This caused me some concern when I first switched over to the glycol version since I though I had mixed solution A twice. If you guys are seeing a color change (non-clear) in mixed Pyrocat-HD Glycol, I'd love to hear it.

Honestly, I want to see a color change.

gevalia
15-Oct-2011, 15:55
I purchase a Pyrocat-HD-in-glycol kit a couple of years ago from PF. It's remained unopened and cool-stored. Since it's in glycol I believe it should still be good, but am curious if there's some way to gauge its activity short of developing film. For example, should there be a color change when it's mixed?

Steve,

I had used up a set of pyrocat-hd in glycol that was 13 months old a while ago and had no issues. Like yours, it was stored in a cool place and unopened. Just made sure I shook them for a few inutes first just in case but I did look for sediment and saw none. Obviously your mileage may vary.