PDA

View Full Version : Tips wanted for Lassen NP

J Ney
11-Oct-2011, 11:10
I'm shooting up to Lassen in the next couple of days (probably be up there for 3 days). It'll be my first time and was wondering if anyone had some tips regarding good location/time-of-day pairings?

I'm definitely planning on cinder cone & Bumpass Hell but the rest is pretty open.

I'll be bringing my 8x10 with 120mm, 240mm, and 300mm so I'd like to keep the hikes within 5 miles or so.

vinny
11-Oct-2011, 11:18
never been there myself but I often do a search on flickr for places I'd like to shoot.

h2oman
11-Oct-2011, 12:07
I'm not particularly knowledgable, so research this suggestion a little: I think Burney falls are only 30-45 minutes north of Lassen - you might take a half day and go up there. The falls are in a north-facing ampitheater, so I think would be in the shade (good for waterfalls, in my opinion) all day. They are beautiful.

Darin Boville
11-Oct-2011, 12:18
Don't forget the devastation area...

--Darin

Steve M Hostetter
12-Oct-2011, 11:47
If you value you truck don't drive that road,, I tried it in a taurus and had to turn around and go back.. This would of been the entrance coming from Susanville..
So, I found a shot near where the gravel road turned off the main road at the entrance

QT Luong
12-Oct-2011, 11:53
Here's my write-up about the Cinder Cone:
http://terragalleria.com/blog/2010/01/14/photo-spot-8-lassen-volcanic-national-park-cinder-cone/

Some other locations, best at sunset
Lassen from Manzanita Lake & Chaos Craggs from Reflection Lake
Lassen from Brokeoff Mountain
Lassen summit

J Ney
12-Oct-2011, 23:48
Thanks all for the tips... my itinerary is quickly filling up :-)

BillGM
16-Oct-2011, 23:28
Been there a few times. Still can't figure out why it rates National Park status. I'd go to Redwoods instead.

QT Luong
17-Oct-2011, 01:10
The windscreen views may not be impressive, but anyone who has been to each of the locations listed in this thread would probably agree that there is more diversity of volcanic landforms in Lassen than in any other Park in the US, except maybe Hawaii Volcanoes.