PDA

View Full Version : How much for these technika's?

VanDyke
11-Oct-2011, 00:53
Some one is offering a Technika for Euro 950. (1295 USD)
Is that a reasonable price for a, according to Bob Salomon a 1964 V version?
The seller says its well used and well serviced.

http://www.fotoapparatuur.nl/Linhof/Technische-Camera/linhof-technika-IV/Ad137668.html

And what about this offer http://www.fotoapparatuur.nl/Linhof/Technische-Camera/Linhof-Technika-loopbodem-TC-met-90mm-en-150mm/Ad131036.html

Please give me your opinion

Greetings

Peter Koning

Darin Boville
11-Oct-2011, 00:58
You need to double-check the plastic front lift gears on the V. I have a V and a Master and *both* have trouble in this regard. The gear teeth get sheared off in use (misuse?) of that front lever. Not cheap to fix and easily missed when examining a camera to sell.

--Darin

VanDyke
11-Oct-2011, 01:04
Thanks Darin,

Considering its ok, what do you think about the price.
there is also a link to another offering. Thats an technika lV.
I appreciate your comments.

Greetings,

Peter Koning

Darin Boville
11-Oct-2011, 01:06
Don't really know about the price. Others will chime in tomorrow USA-time with more informed thoughts in that regard.

-Darin

Bill_1856
11-Oct-2011, 06:27
http://www.ebay.com/csc/Film-Cameras-/15230/i.html?Type=Large%2520Format&rt=nc&LH_Complete=1&_nkw=linhof%20technika&_dmpt=Film_Cameras&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m283

Cor
11-Oct-2011, 06:34
Hallo Peter,

That V seems to be priced sharp, IF the lever is ok as Darin pointed out. The TechIV seems over priced to me. The 90mm SA looks to be mounted in a Compur00, which was nothing but trouble on mine (but that could be that specific one), a nuisance with a Compur 00 is that there is no pre-view lever, so for composing you have to put the lens on B and hold it there with a cable release.

Did you check out Marktplaats, there were a couple of Technika's recently,

good luck,

Cor

VanDyke
11-Oct-2011, 06:52
@Bill - thanks

@Cor- good to know about these compurs. I checked marktplaats.
Foto abro sells master technika's as good as new (Euro 1995) is that reasonable?

Peter Koning

Cor
11-Oct-2011, 07:12
Foto abro sells master technika's as good as new (Euro 1995) is that reasonable?

Peter Koning

Peter,

I do not know if it is your first entry into LF. If so consider that you also need a lens (and quickly want more), lens boards, a tripod, a loupe, film holders etc..it adds up quickly.

To get started there are cheaper alternatives, depending on what you exactly want to do with the camera. I started out with a Calumet c400 (for sale right now on Marktplaats :p ), that I got a Tech III which I have used for more than 10 years, and I recently ""upgraded" to a Linhof Color which didn't broke the bank..;-)..

(don't ask about my other camera's though..:) ..)

Good luck,

Cor

VanDyke
11-Oct-2011, 07:32
@ Cor- Its not my first entry into LF, I own a cambo SC with a 210mm. Its ok but its not realy portable and i don't realy need extreme movements. Most of the gear, I already have, except for the lensboard.
It might be a good idea to have a closer look at the V.

Greetings,

Peter Koning

Bill_1856
11-Oct-2011, 08:01
A Technika is a wonderful camera BUT for field use it's heavy and somewhat clunky to use (and costs a fortune to have lenses coupled to the rangefinder). Since you already have a monorail you might consider a much less expensive and lighter camera for field use, (such as a Crown or Super Graphic, or Busch Pressman).

VanDyke
11-Oct-2011, 09:10
A Technika is a wonderful camera BUT for field use it's heavy and somewhat clunky to use (and costs a fortune to have lenses coupled to the rangefinder). Since you already have a monorail you might consider a much less expensive and lighter camera for field use, (such as a Crown or Super Graphic, or Busch Pressman).

I do not mind but rather like the ruggidity, and the cambo is a lot heavier.
i want to look at alternatives but there are not much offerings in the Crown, Super, Graphic departement, at least in the Netherlands.
Also reading different posts the general advice is to look for a camera that is still going strong parts wise.

Greetings,

Peter Koning

Brian Ellis
11-Oct-2011, 10:29
Both prices seem high to me based on U.S. prices. I'd expect to pay about $1,200 - $1,400 for a IV and about $1,500 - $1,700 for a V. I can't read the language so I know nothing about the lens except that it's an older version of whatever lens it is and I'd be surprised if it's worth the difference.

Apart from price, Technikas are great cameras. I've owned a V and a Master. Of the ten or so other 4x5s I've owned (Ebonys, Tachiharas, Shen Hao, Chamonix, et al) they were by far my favorites. But they are expensive to repair so if you buy one I'd make sure you can thoroughly inspect it first and/or have a right to return if you're dissatisfied.

Frank Bunnik
11-Oct-2011, 11:04
I bought a Master Technika through Marktplaats (Netherlands) last year for 2,300 euro (US$ 2,667). It is the current model, fitted with the Linhof super screen ground glass and it came with 3 modern lenses and their respective rangefinder cams, the grip and the current multifocus viewfinder. Except for a little paint scratches on the back of the folding hood, everything was almost as new.

In that regard, the model 4 priced at 1,950 euro seems too expensive although I realise mine was cheap. The other one seems nice. The way I read the term "well used" in the add it may also mean "used with care", at least when I look at the pictures.

If you can live with it's shortcomings, there is also a Tech 3 offered on Marktplaats at this moment for 525 euro, including a lens. It might be an interesting camera.

Good luck with your search,
Frank
www.frankbunnik.zenfolio.com

Bill_1856
11-Oct-2011, 20:34
And don't forget really light weight cameras such as the wooden Nagaoka, Wista Gandolfi, etc.

VanDyke
12-Oct-2011, 00:20
I talked to the owner of the V (950); the camera is in an excellent working condition he used it for a couple of years. He was not sure if the bellows were once replaced, but the condition is very good. Probably they are replaced at a certain point in time.

@Brian- the price of 950 Euro is than reasonable don't you think, I mean its far less than 1700 $.

The other camera is indeed to expensive with the lenses, although the condition of the camera looks very good.
I could bid on the camera alone. starting at 750 Euro. Is that reasonable??
I leave out the lenses because of the in general not so good experiences with Compur shutters. Also the fact that they have no full view lever seems awkward.
I want to go for a lV, V or Master because of the availability of parts and new generation lensboards.

Greetings,

Peter Koning

Cor
12-Oct-2011, 01:29
I leave out the lenses because of the in general not so good experiences with Compur shutters. Also the fact that they have no full view lever seems awkward.
I want to go for a lV, V or Master because of the availability of parts and new generation lensboards.

Greetings,

Peter Koning

Peter,

I was referring specifically to the Compur 00 shutter (I thought also used on twin reflex such as the Rolleicord etc..) Compur 0 and 1 are fine shutters with the pre-view option. In fact some people prefer them to Copal's because they have more shutter blades (at least the older ones do) than a Copal, and this is said to give a nicer Bokeh.

Lens boards for a Tech III are just square pieces of aluminium with a hole, and are easily made by a machinist if you have that connection. Tech IV boards are far more complex, and can be bought new and a premium, or second hand a bit cheaper. Currently I am swapping my lenses from Tech III to Tech IV boards, and I am quite happy with Chinese Shen Hao boards, not the real thing, but they fit at a fraction of the price of a Linhof..

Tech III are a joy to use, precise and solid, fast set-up, the main reason for my switch is the lack of front tilt (which can be over come with a drop-bed, raise, back tilt: everything is parallel again than, and if you move the front to neutral you have your front tilt, and do not rule out the back which can be tilted ) and the difficulties of using a 65mm on the Tech III.

Good luck,

Cor

Best,

Cor

VanDyke
13-Oct-2011, 00:20
I understand that the Technika lV (1995) is not for sale anymore. The owner is going to use it for a project. he expects to put it on sale again within a couple of months.
He keeps me in the loop.
I will take a look at the other camera asap (tech V).
Another question is that if i am able to buy a technika in the near future, and its sold without a lens. How difficult is it to take my 210 with copal 1 from my Cambo lensboard and put it on a Linhof lensboard.
I initially thought that is easy to do, but after looking at some pictures of llinhof lensboards I saw that in some cases there are extra screws at the inside of the board. can someone tell me what this screw is holding. The lens on my Cambo board is only fitted wit one big threaded ring.
At this link you find a picture with the back of a lensboard showinh what I mean.

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/MASTER-TECHNIKA-CLASSIC-4x5-LINHOF-SYMMAR-S-5-6-150-GRIP-TOP-/310347587223?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Analogkameras&hash=item4842285e97

Greetings,

Peter Koning

Darin Boville
13-Oct-2011, 00:39
Don't worry about the extra screws. That's just to hold the optional (red on the front of the board) cable-release gizmo in place.

A Linhof board (Technika board) is just the same as any other board, except it only goes in one way. You use the same retaining ring to hold the lens in place. No difference at all.

--Darin

Darin Boville
13-Oct-2011, 00:45
btw, the one you link to seems very expensive by USA standards. It's at 3400 Euros--that expensive in dollars let alone Euros.

--Darin

VanDyke
13-Oct-2011, 02:36
Ok Darrin, no worries than.
And your right about the ad its an expensive one, although i think it can be considered like new.with the price is the lens included with cam;
But I agree its a bundle, probably its coming from its cradle Germany. wish I had the money:o

Brian Ellis
13-Oct-2011, 07:22
Don't worry about the extra screws. That's just to hold the optional (red on the front of the board) cable-release gizmo in place.

A Linhof board (Technika board) is just the same as any other board, except it only goes in one way. You use the same retaining ring to hold the lens in place. No difference at all.

--Darin

As Darin says, the screws in question hold the cable-release gizmo in place. But you do want to make sure that the gizmo is firmly in place. If it falls off or you take it off there will be a little hole (or maybe more than one, I forget) that will leak light and ruin your photographs unless you then cover the holes with tape or something else. I learned that one the hard way.

VanDyke
13-Oct-2011, 09:46
To All

This afternoon I looked at two master technika's. One of them really looked good. It was my first time fiddling with a technika . It feels all very solid and I must say the camera feels heavier than I expected.The price is 1995 Euro, which is out of my league. Anyway I also looked at a Horseman, and i must say absolutely not bad.However
I noticed that there were no rear movements. Now after some googling I came to the conclusion that with most of the metal view camera's the rear movements are very limited. The only one I could find is the Wista SP, which has some rear movements. What I would like you to ask is, if my conclusion is correct; if you want a metal folding field camera and want at least some rear movement you have very little choice; its a technika or a wista SP and with the availability in mind of the Wista's, Linhof is the only brand left. Please tell me I am wrong, because I want to have a camera in three months but not necessarily a technika.

Greetings

Peter Koning

Bob Salomon
13-Oct-2011, 09:53
[B]To All[B]

This afternoon I looked at two master technika's. One of them really looked good. It was my first time fiddling with a technika . It feels all very solid and I must say the camera feels heavier than I expected.The price is 1995 Euro, which is out of my league. Anyway I also looked at a Horseman, and i must say absolutely not bad.However
I noticed that there were no rear movements. Now after some googling I came to the conclusion that with most of the metal view camera's the rear movements are very limited. The only one I could find is the Wista SP, which has some rear movements. What I would like you to ask is, if my conclusion is correct; if you want a metal folding field camera and want at least some rear movement you have very little choice; its a technika or a wista SP and with the availability in mind of the Wista's, Linhof is the only brand left. Please tell me I am wrong, because I want to have a camera in three months but not necessarily a technika.

Greetings

Peter Koning
The Linhof TechniKardan 45 and 45s are 45 folding monorail cameras with lots of front and back movements. The only movement on the back that it does not have is back drop.

VanDyke
13-Oct-2011, 10:28
The Linhof TechniKardan 45 and 45s are 45 folding monorail cameras with lots of front and back movements. The only movement on the back that it does not have is back drop.

I really want to narrow it down to metal folding types with the bellows safely inside.

greetings,

Peter Koning

Peter York
13-Oct-2011, 10:55
To All
What I would like you to ask is, if my conclusion is correct; if you want a metal folding field camera and want at least some rear movement you have very little choice; its a technika or a wista SP and with the availability in mind of the Wista's, Linhof is the only brand left. Please tell me I am wrong, because I want to have a camera in three months but not necessarily a technika.
Peter Koning

The Meridian 45B (about $400 on Ebay), an American press camera that is no longer manufactured, has a back like the Technika for rear movements. It also has focusing on the inner rail for wideangle lenses, like the newest versions of the Technika. Build quality is excellent, though certainly nowhere near the Linhof. I honestly stopped my long-term pursuit of a Linhof after getting the 45B.

Another camera with rear movements like the Linhof is the MPP.

Darin Boville
13-Oct-2011, 13:38
Hey Peter,

My gut instinct tells me the camera you want is the Toyo 45 series. Great camera. Popular and fairly easy to come by. Built super-well, not as heavy as the Linhof. Doesn't have the degree of movements or lens extension as the Linhof either but for most people it has plenty.

In terms of rear movements it has rear swing, and rear tilt. You can also fake rear rise by angling the bed downward slightly (which raises the back in relation to the front standard. That's easier to understand in pictures, maybe).

I have used them in the past and love them and bought one again a few months back (though I haven't really used it since--just don't want to sell it).

The AX is the cheaper one without folding hood (which you will want) and without fresnel (which you may our may not care about). I paid something like $500 for mine plus another $75 for the hood, used but minty in box. Add about $100 to the total if you are in a hurry and can't wait for the best deal. Their resale value is high so you can sort of rent for free if you decide you don't like it. Boards are slightly bigger than the technika but easy to come by and cheap. There's even an adapter to use technika boards but it doesn't allow the camera to fold up while it is on.

There is also a 45A (older) 45AII (current high end) models. All the same I think except for the back--rotating (slighting heavier) vs either vertical or hgorizonal but nothing in between (cheaper and lighter by a little). See the Toyo's page for details.

Lots of Toyo owners here on the LFF forum.

--Darin

Oren Grad
13-Oct-2011, 13:51
Anyway I also looked at a Horseman, and i must say absolutely not bad.However I noticed that there were no rear movements.

Which model Horseman did you look at? The 45FA has the same, somewhat awkward, 4-post rear tilt/swing movements as the Technika. The 45HD doesn't; I'm not sure about the older 45HF.

VanDyke
14-Oct-2011, 00:27
@ Peter. Thank you for the suggestion , I will keep it in mind, but I must say that here in the Netherlands chances are few I bump into one. My preference also is to be able to take the camera into my hands before I buy it. Its not carved in marble but, its a hurdle for me to take.

@ Oren. I think that I looked at the 45 HD than. I will look out for the 45 FA though.
I should have take more time to look. But the Horseman quality definitely impressed me.

@ Darin. You are right! Toyo is more and more not subconsciously on my mind.
The thing I worry about is the bellows extension. Please tell me Darin what limitations there are in terms of bellows extension? Which lenses do you use?
I should look for the 45Aii right?
Also I know what you mean with faking the rear rise, by moving the horizontal axes.
you are very good with words; no pictures were needed

Ok, for next week I made an appointment to take a look at the Technika V; I'll keep you informed about that.

My brains are now coping with the "problem"in a more structured way.
The shortlist evolved is: 1. Technika V or Master
2. Wista SP
3. Toyo 45AX
4. Horseman 45FA
5. meridian, Crown, Busch types

@ Cor. I forgot to thank you explaining the peculiars of Compur shutters, I had no experience with them.

All please dive into the questions I asked Darin.

Lots of greetings,

Peter Koning

Darin Boville
14-Oct-2011, 00:45
>>I should look for the 45Aii right?<<

Maybe not. I used to have the 45AII but I bought the AX this time. The rotating back was nice--I used it to do fine leveling--but it turns out for very small adjustments near "zero" adjustment the lock won't grab very well. You have to go either back to zero or go a little further than you want to. Makes that aspect sort of semi-useful. The real advantage then becomes the speed at which you can go from horizontal to vertical--which really isn't that big of a deal. So maybe go the AX route to save weight.

Add the folding ground glass viewer/cover and you are good to go. The Toyos are identical otherwise.

Bellows-wise you can use a 300 ok. Focuses down to about 15 feet or so with full extension.

--Darin

VanDyke
14-Oct-2011, 01:06
Darin, you are right, a already edit it. I was thinking of the AX.
Indeed I do not need a revolving back. Thanks for the info though, comes handy should I run into a Aii.

Peter Koning

Oren Grad
14-Oct-2011, 07:40
The thing I worry about is the bellows extension. Please tell me Darin what limitations there are in terms of bellows extension?...

The shortlist evolved is: 1. Technika V or Master
2. Wista SP
3. Toyo 45AX
4. Horseman 45FA
5. meridian, Crown, Busch types

If bellows extension is a major concern, the 45FA won't be your first choice - it's shorter than the Technika, Wista or Toyo in that respect, somewhere around 270mm if you extend the front track to the end and pull the rear extension as well. In general, the tradeoff with the Horseman is that you get a smaller, lighter camera in return for some restrictions on bellows draw, extent of front movements, and size of lenses that can be accommodated on the front standard.

VanDyke
20-Oct-2011, 11:07
To All

I bought the Technika V. The Camera is in excellent condition. The "well used" condition mentioned in the ad offiously ment used in a very responsible manner.
Very happy with it. I paid extra attention on the front rise gears which are indeed non metal made.

Thank you all for your advises!

Peter Koning