PDA

View Full Version : Durst lensboard - VAPLON 300

Kimberly Anderson
9-Oct-2011, 20:25
Hey gang,

I have the VAPLON 360, but tonight I acquired a Componon 300 with the flange and front cap. Got it for a song! ;)

Anyway, I was wondering if I can use the flange and lensboard from the 360 for the 300. It appears that the flanges are darn near identical...but I'm having a hard time removing the front elements of the 360 from the lensboard. Rear element comes of just nice and fine, front element won't budge.

Do I take off the flange? Is there a VAPLON for the 300mm lens?

Thanks!

Allen in Montreal
9-Oct-2011, 21:03
Michael,

1) I have never owned the exact lenses you are using, so disclaimer goes here, I may be wrong, Schneider guys will chime in soon (I am a heavy Rodagon user).

I believe the front half is held in place by 3 set screws accessible from the back end once off the board, it would mean you must remove (unscrew) the lens cone from the Vaplon and then look at the back end for the set screws. Once removed, you should be able to remove the cone shaped part of the 360 and see if they are interchangeable with the 300mm.

I don't think the set screws are visible by just removing the rear element and looking thru the cut out in the Vaplon.

While searching FeeBay, check for the Unipla and Vapla as well as Vaplon.

Most people see the Unipla set up as below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Durst-UNIPLA-lens-board-LAPLA-42-lens-holder-and-filter-mount-/270824175671?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0e60f837

But there are many Unipla that have been adapted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Durst-Laborator-184-L184-10x10-enlarger-Unipla-basic-panel-lensboard-/200654071399?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb7ea2667

Not to be confused with Vapla:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DURST-VAPLA-LENSBOARD-3-1-2-THREADED-SIZE-10x10-ENLARGER-/260855987149?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbc3a7bcd

I think some dude in Italy smoked a ton of weed and listened to Jim Hendrix all day and was charged with the Durst Naming Convention.
He had fun with it anyway! :)

Again, I may be giving you bum advice, but it appears the Vaplon was more a Schneider thing and the Vapla was more a Rodagon thing. But maybe the Purple Haze of these names has me confused! ;)

Kimberly Anderson
9-Oct-2011, 21:08
Haha!!! Yeah, this naming convention is a little confusing. I'll wade through your links and take another look at this tomorrow. Thanks!

ic-racer
9-Oct-2011, 22:05
Hey gang,

I have the VAPLON 360,

Do you have a picture of that?

Kimberly Anderson
10-Oct-2011, 06:36
http://tawayama.com/8x10enlarger/360_300_valponlensboard.jpg

Just for you! ;)

Do you have a picture of that?

ic-racer
10-Oct-2011, 07:44
Interesting. My 360 came mounted like this. I guess it is the same thing, with a different name:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ic-racer/2011/360Componon.jpg

ic-racer
10-Oct-2011, 07:54
What you are trying to do should be possible according to the Schneider brochure. According to the brochure, the 240, 300 and 360 all have an M62x0.75 thread around the base of the barrel. So, all three should be able to screw into that black cone.

To change lenses on the black cone, I'd remove the rear element like you have done. The barrel and the front element can be kept together. They should unscrew from the black cone after removing the little screw. Do you see the little screw head on the perimeter of the black cone? Look and you should see it.

ic-racer
10-Oct-2011, 07:58
That 360mm lens is not worth that much without the mounting cone and VAPLON. So I'd keep my eyes out for a blank VAPLA on which to mount the 300 and swap them back when one comes up.

Kimberly Anderson
12-Oct-2011, 11:47
Ok, so I *did* manage to find the set screw. I must be an idiot for not looking. I got the lens elements out of the cone and I discovered that the 360 and the 300 do NOT take the same cone, nor do they have the same diameter, nor do they even have the same amount of screws holding the flange to the lensboard.

So...

I am going to have to find one or have one fabricated. I noticed that Glennview makes one for $150. I'll look for awhile before I jump on one of his b/c I have yet to pick up the enlarger.

Looks like my 360/Vapla combination will remain intact.

Len Middleton
12-Oct-2011, 11:55
Micheal,

There have been some used VALPLA units offered for sale on feeBay.

Might have to make some adjustments for hole size versus flange size. Making it bigger is generally easier...

Good luck,

Len

Allen in Montreal
12-Oct-2011, 19:00
Michael,

It does not surprise me, judging by my Rodagons, the size difference between the 300 and the 360 is a fair bit. The 240 and the 300 maybe, not the 360.

Measure the bottom of the cone, and keep you eye out for a Vapla, Vaplon or UniPla.
You will find one, it will just take a little time. The most common to make their way to market is the one that fits the 360. But the hole bored into the disk, more than likely will be too big for you.

You have time, as the enlarger is not yet Chez Vous. :(

Don't forget to check ebay.de
They often have Durst items you can't find here in NA.
The mail system between Canada and Germany totally tanks, so you can not be in a rush, but .de is a good source.

Ok, so I *did* manage to find the set screw. I must be an idiot for not looking. I got the lens elements out of the cone and I discovered that the 360 and the 300 do NOT take the same cone, nor do they have the same diameter, nor do they even have the same amount of screws holding the flange to the lensboard.

So...

I am going to have to find one or have one fabricated. I noticed that Glennview makes one for $150. I'll look for awhile before I jump on one of his b/c I have yet to pick up the enlarger.

Looks like my 360/Vapla combination will remain intact.

Kimberly Anderson
10-Nov-2011, 10:28
Mine came from Ebay yesterday. It came with a flat flange, so I removed the flat flange and used the cone that is already on the 300 that I own. It went right on. Now I have an extra flange.

ic-racer
10-Nov-2011, 14:42
Getting that lens mounted is a big step forward. Also, save that flange, they can be hard to find. How big is it?

Kimberly Anderson
10-Nov-2011, 14:52
I'll measure tonight...