PDA

View Full Version : Need Recommendation of Paper for Ink Jet

bob carnie
9-Oct-2011, 11:27
I have a lot of landscape images that I want to print over the next week, Currently have used Hannamuhle Cotton Rag, and Epson Exhibition Fibre Gloss.

I find the EEFG too realistic and glossy for the subject matter, and I find the HCR acceptable but am looking for something thick and between the two papers that is readily available.

Any suggestions would be helpful, for this I can use Cannon IPf 9000 or Epson 7800 with K3 inks.

ljsegil
9-Oct-2011, 17:31
My current favorite paper is Hahnemuhle Museum Etching, although it is more textured than their rag paper (and a bit heavier) so may not be what you are looking for. I find it produces lovely prints. Perhaps a good compromise between the two papers you mention would be Museo Silver Rag, some texture but with a glossier finish than a matte paper. Also very nice, with its own character.
LJS

jtrupiano
9-Oct-2011, 17:41
I use Epson Premium Luster or the Velvet Fine Art... but that's mostly out of habit, I say stick with the Hahnemuhle, that's good stuff.

Brian Ellis
9-Oct-2011, 18:37
"thick and between the two papers." The two papers are glossy and matte (I assume the Hahnemhule is matte, I've never used it).

Sounds like you want a 310 gsm or thereabouts paper in a semi-gloss/luster/pearl/whatever surface.

I prefer matte papers and my current favorite is Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Smooth. However, I got a deal on a couple boxes of Epson Premium Luster and have been trying it. It's the best semi-gloss I've used. The others (mainly Harman and Crane's Museo Silver Rag, I forget exactly what the Harman is called) were too glossy for my tastes, they purport to look like the old fiber base darkroom paper but to me they looked more like RC). So you might try the Epson. It's 240 gsm, I don't know whether that's any heavier than the two papers you mention. It's also inexpensive compared to Hahnemuhle and many others.

andy
9-Oct-2011, 19:27
check out the canson baryta photographique--it's a 310gsm and beautiful.

bob carnie
10-Oct-2011, 08:21
thanks all I will give a few of them a go,

bob carnie
10-Oct-2011, 08:22
Andy , what is the surface like ??as this is one that was recommended on another thread I started a while back.

Don't let Kirk know I started two similar threads , he will fry me for that.

check out the canson baryta photographique--it's a 310gsm and beautiful.

Kirk Gittings
10-Oct-2011, 08:27
I'm lighting the burner as I write :)

I second the vote for the canson baryta papers.

bob carnie
10-Oct-2011, 08:35
:)

andy
10-Oct-2011, 09:39
it's quite smooth, and the paper has a nice depth--it's really beautiful. it's not really that shiny, but not quite matte either. hard to describe.
from the canson site:

"Baryta Photographique is a true Baryta paper developed for inkjet technology. It consists of an alpha-cellulose, acid-free pure white paper with the same barium sulphate coating as for traditional silver halide and a premium inkjet colour receiver layer."

neil poulsen
10-Oct-2011, 10:09
My all time favorite for landscape is Hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta. It's "glossy" surface is not overdone and gives colors depth. It's white color leans a trace to the warm, which I also like for landscape.

But hearing about the Canson baryta papers, I need to give them a try. While I like the H FA Baryta, it's quite expensive.

Jim Becia
11-Oct-2011, 06:04

I also like the Canson. You might also look into the Moab La Sal Exhibition Luster 300 also. Jim

lbenac
11-Oct-2011, 06:50
I print b&W out a plain Epson R2900 with Epson ink. My favorite is Canson Infinity Platine Fibre Rag, followed by Canson Infinity Baryta photographique.

cheers,

Luc

PAllen
11-Oct-2011, 07:00
We were printing on both the Museo Silver Rag and the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Bartya papers for this "in between" option. We began noticing changes in the Museo paper from batch to batch (different paper whites) and have since been using only the Hanmuhle Photo Rag Baryta. It prints beautifully, except for the occasional black speck in a roll (cotton seed?)
We are getting a roll of the Harman Gloss Baryta today and will report back. The only reason we have not stocked it before is it does not come in 60" rolls!

Best,
Patrick Allen
http://www.kenallenstudios.com

Walter Foscari
11-Oct-2011, 18:11
I only use matte papers and I've tried many. Still my favs remain Hahnemuhle Photo Rag and Moab Entrada Natural. The first one for color work the second for b&w. The added benefit of Entrada is the excellent price especially if you buy in rolls.

John Rodriguez
12-Oct-2011, 21:20
As far as smooth papers for landscape I've tried -

Hahnemuhle FineArt Pearl - Heavy and smooth, looks slightly coated, but not nearly as much as a gloss paper. Bright but not blue.

Hahnemuhle FineArt Baryta - Too much stipple for my taste. Bright. I have a box of 17x22" I'll sell cheap if anyone wants it.

Hahnemuhle Photo Rag - acts like matte

Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Satin - can't really tell a difference between this and regular rag

Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Bright White - brighter Photo Rag

Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl - really interesting, matte paper with pearlescent sparkle

Epson Luster - Bright but not blue like Exhibition. Wish it has a little less stipple.

Epson Semigloss - Almost indistinguishable from Luster.

Ilford Gold Fibre - Very light stipple, warm.

Personally I prefer Epson Luster for color landscapes and Ilford Gold Fibre for black and white. I would like to try the Harman Gloss and the Canson Baryta.

Valdecus
12-Oct-2011, 22:43
Having tried quite a few papers in the past years, I've come to settle for the following papers:

- Hahnemuehle Photo Rag (matte paper for subtle, muted color landscapes)

- Epson Premium Luster Photo Paper 260 (for more saturated color images with deep blacks)

- Ilford Gold Fibre Silk (for B&W images, producing a nice warm tone)

Cheers,
Andreas

rjphil
13-Oct-2011, 05:23
I've been using either the Harman Gloss Baryta or the Canson Platine and have been happy with both of them. The Harman is more prone to surface damage as it is more of a gloss, while the Platine has a slight texture to it. The Platine is lso 100% cotton with no OBAs.

PAllen
13-Oct-2011, 09:04
We received the Harman Gloss Baryta and I think it prints beautifully. It is much more glossy then some of the other Baryta papers but still very nice, and it has minimal surface texture. We will still use the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta as our primary paper in this category, but the Harman will certainly be used on occasion.
The ilford Gold Fiber Silk is also a beautiful paper as other members have commented on but we had lots of problems with surface scratches so we stopped using it.

Best,
Patrick Allen
http://www.kenallenstudios.com

John Rodriguez
22-Oct-2011, 09:21
An update on what I wrote above. I've been using Epson Premium Luster for everything for awhile, mostly because I haven't been printing much black and white. Anyways I just got a new printer and have been shooting a lot of black and white so I decided to go paper hunting again. I ordered a black and white sample pack from Atlex that was supposed to have Epson Exhibition Fiber, Harman Gloss Baryta, Gallerie Gold, Hahnemuhle FA Baryta, and Canson Baryta. Unfortunately the pack came with Premier Imaging Platinum Rag instead of Canson; bummer. The Harman Gloss Baryta turned out to be Warmtone instead of regular, but that wasn't as big of a deal (although I really want to see what the regular tone is). Anyways, I printed a BW and Color image on each of the Epson, Harman and Ilford using canned profiles. I've already printed enough on the FA Baryta to know I don't like it. The Premier Imaging stuff isn't anything I'm interested in.

Base Color - They're pretty close. Comparing them side by side under strong daylight - Exhibition has a very slight blue/magenta cast, the Harman looks neutral and the Ilford looks slightly red/yellow.

Gloss Differential - Harman has just about none, Epson has a little but it's not very noticeable, only the Ilford was obvious about it when it shows up.

Color/Dmax - Really close, and tough to compare without custom profiles. With that said - Ilford had SLIGHTLY more saturated colors and dmax. Epson and Harman looked the same.

Surface - Epson has the roughest texture, Harman is almost totally smooth while Ilford is in the middle. If I hold the papers so they're reflecting light with the Ilford and Epson, they look to me like prints on cardboard. The Ilford cardboard is nicer. The Harman however looks like what I think of as a photograph. This actually has less to do with surface texture and more to do with how the paper surface/ink surface interact. With the Epson and Ilford it's very easy to see the inked portion of the paper as separate from the borders - it reflects a bit differently. The Harman however reflects the same and both inked areas and the borders. It looks like the image is in the paper. Overall the effect makes a HUGE difference when looking at the prints. The Ilford I formerly liked now looks like crap in comparison.

Overall the Harman blew me away. I did run into a huge downside though, the stuff curls like a b1tch. Both of my sheets had head strikes. I'd need to spend time pressing this stuff flat before printing and always dry-mount.

I still want to try the Canson as it sounds like it stays flat better. At this point I'd rather use Premium Luster for color rather then any of the baryta papers except for the Harman, and if the Harman doesn't work out for curling issues, I'm going to try Ilford Smooth Pearl for B&W instead of Gallerie Silk.

gevalia
22-Oct-2011, 10:41
An update on what I wrote above. I've been using Epson Premium Luster for everything for awhile, mostly because I haven't been printing much black and white. Anyways I just got a new printer and have been shooting a lot of black and white so I decided to go paper hunting again. I ordered a black and white sample pack from Atlex that was supposed to have Epson Exhibition Fiber, Harman Gloss Baryta, Gallerie Gold, Hahnemuhle FA Baryta, and Canson Baryta. Unfortunately the pack came with Premier Imaging Platinum Rag instead of Canson; bummer. The Harman Gloss Baryta turned out to be Warmtone instead of regular, but that wasn't as big of a deal (although I really want to see what the regular tone is). Anyways, I printed a BW and Color image on each of the Epson, Harman and Ilford using canned profiles. I've already printed enough on the FA Baryta to know I don't like it. The Premier Imaging stuff isn't anything I'm interested in.

Base Color - They're pretty close. Comparing them side by side under strong daylight - Exhibition has a very slight blue/magenta cast, the Harman looks neutral and the Ilford looks slightly red/yellow.

Gloss Differential - Harman has just about none, Epson has a little but it's not very noticeable, only the Ilford was obvious about it when it shows up.

Color/Dmax - Really close, and tough to compare without custom profiles. With that said - Ilford had SLIGHTLY more saturated colors and dmax. Epson and Harman looked the same.

Surface - Epson has the roughest texture, Harman is almost totally smooth while Ilford is in the middle. If I hold the papers so they're reflecting light with the Ilford and Epson, they look to me like prints on cardboard. The Ilford cardboard is nicer. The Harman however looks like what I think of as a photograph. This actually has less to do with surface texture and more to do with how the paper surface/ink surface interact. With the Epson and Ilford it's very easy to see the inked portion of the paper as separate from the borders - it reflects a bit differently. The Harman however reflects the same and both inked areas and the borders. It looks like the image is in the paper. Overall the effect makes a HUGE difference when looking at the prints. The Ilford I formerly liked now looks like crap in comparison.

Overall the Harman blew me away. I did run into a huge downside though, the stuff curls like a b1tch. Both of my sheets had head strikes. I'd need to spend time pressing this stuff flat before printing and always dry-mount.

I still want to try the Canson as it sounds like it stays flat better. At this point I'd rather use Premium Luster for color rather then any of the baryta papers except for the Harman, and if the Harman doesn't work out for curling issues, I'm going to try Ilford Smooth Pearl for B&W instead of Gallerie Silk.

Interesting. I didn't care for the Harman Baryta Warmtone at all but I do really like the Canson Baryta. For me the Canson stays flat but this is after just 2 weeks working with it.