PDA

View Full Version : Sources for contact printing frame springs?

Scott --
8-Oct-2011, 14:54
I'm toying with making some contact printing frames, and am looking for a reliable source of the springs. Anyone have any leads for me?

Thanks,
Scott

Nathan Potter
8-Oct-2011, 15:25
Stainless steel shim stock in the 10 to 20 mil thick range - that's what I have used.
Small Parts in FL carries such stock. Small Parts.com I believe

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Jim Jones
8-Oct-2011, 18:05
If there are wide enough slots where the springs would normally go, try rigid bars in place of the springs and slide wedges under the bars for tension. Carpenters use thin wedges from lumber yards for door and window frames.

John Kasaian
8-Oct-2011, 19:17
A heavy piece of glass table top hinged to a flat board works nicely.

Scott --
9-Oct-2011, 10:32
Thanks, guys. Nate - that sounds promising. I'm scouting a benchtop shear/brake now for fabricating these. Need to have my head checked... :rolleyes:

Jim Jones
9-Oct-2011, 11:42
Thanks, guys. Nate - that sounds promising. I'm scouting a benchtop shear/brake now for fabricating these. Need to have my head checked... :rolleyes:

Don't worry about exactly the right tool for the job. It's the end product, not the way that it's produced that really counts. Analyze just what a contact printing frame needs to do, not how it traditionally does it. Nate has the right idea, although the hinge isn't essential. If you must have one, consider duct tape. Duct tape may not be the perfectly right material for anything on Earth, but it is the best wrong material for thousands of jobs.

Jim Michael
9-Oct-2011, 11:50
Don't forget your local old time hardware store. Ask for spring steel stock.