PDA

View Full Version : Where to get this fixed: serious aperture iris problem

Corran
5-Oct-2011, 19:08
I bought a vintage lens off ebay and it came with the iris blades popped out. They look like they are all there. I fooled with it but I don't have the proper tools to really work on this stuff and I'd rather have a pro do it.

Where would be the best place to send this lens, and about how much would it cost? I ask because I am going to ask for a partial refund for the lens from the ebay seller. Furthermore, the seller is from Poland so a return would be a pain (I wouldn't get the money for months probably).

(Lens is a Schneider Xenon 12.5cm f/2 lens)

See photo:

lenser
5-Oct-2011, 20:04
Carol at Flutotscamerarepair.com does fantastic work. She only charges about $60 for a standard CLA, but I don't know how much for something like this. She did do some work on an iris situation for me that turned out great, but this one looks like a bigger challenge.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
5-Oct-2011, 20:11
So long as the retaining ring is not broken any competent shop should be able to to that. Send it to Grimes (expensive), Flutot (long wait), Marshman (?) or your favorite local shop. If the retaining ring is broken, you are in for a big bill, might as well mount it in a shutter.

Corran
5-Oct-2011, 20:25
I am not sure what the retaining ring is. The ring that controls the aperture works, just the blades are out of their tracks or whatever.

I'm hesitant to send it to Grimes (even though he may be great) because of cost (remember, I have to convince the seller to pay the bill, or at least most hopefully). You mention Flutot taking a long time - what are we talking about? Months??

Regarding local shops: I wish! There isn't a local place that even sells 35mm film, much less do fiddly repair work.

alex from holland
5-Oct-2011, 20:54
Try to find a watch /clock repair locally.
As jason says, it isn't such a big job but you will need a lot of patience.
The retaining ring is the ring which holds the separate blades in it 's place

Corran
5-Oct-2011, 20:59
Is there any way to tell if the retaining ring is broken? If the aperture blades move fine I assume it's okay?

I live in a very small city in a very rural area...there is not a watch shop around here either. There is hardly any specialized shops like that here. Plenty of pawn shops, cash brokers, and other junk though...

lenser
5-Oct-2011, 21:31
I just noticed you are in Georgia. I've had some great experiences with the repair people at KEH just est of Atlanta. Give them a call and see if they can handle this kind of service.

Corran
5-Oct-2011, 21:37
Good idea, I didn't even think about them.

Marko Trebusak
6-Oct-2011, 04:38
Try to find a watch /clock repair locally.
As jason says, it isn't such a big job but you will need a lot of patience.
The retaining ring is the ring which holds the separate blades in it 's place

Alex, I don't think watch repair shop would be able to handle this. To take thing apart and sort blades out is a patience work, but at this iris one of the blade pin is missing. That might be a bigger challenge. So one of the camera repair services will need to work on this.

Marko

GPS
6-Oct-2011, 05:16
I'm hesitant to send it to Grimes (even though he may be great) because of cost (remember, I have to convince the seller to pay the bill, or at least most hopefully). ...

Will give you good advice - don't even try to convince the seller to pay the bill. Consider yourself lucky if he accepts return... Hurry up!

Steven Tribe
6-Oct-2011, 06:41
This is a return item - unless the seller covered himself with a suitable description.
The technology for replacing a brass pin is extremely simple - but you have to check each blade for bends and catching edges.

E. von Hoegh
6-Oct-2011, 07:23
Will give you good advice - don't even try to convince the seller to pay the bill. Consider yourself lucky if he accepts return... Hurry up!

Ditto.

If you purchased it fron the place I think you purchased it, triple ditto - get moving!

Corran
6-Oct-2011, 11:15
I don't want to return it, I want to get it fixed. According to KEH's online quote thing, it might only be $150.

The seller has already been contacted and he sees the problem and is interested in resolving this to my satisfaction. I don't need to hurry up at all, ebay is on the buyer's side for most things, especially damage. And this is clear-cut.

Even if I get it repaired at my cost it's a good deal compared to the current prices of these lenses.

GPS
6-Oct-2011, 11:24
I don't need to hurry up at all, ebay is on the buyer's side for most things, especially damage. And this is clear-cut.

Even if I get it repaired at my cost it's a good deal compared to the current prices of these lenses.

In no way does Ebay guarantee your right to repair merchandise on sellers account. That is clear-cut.
If you're happy to repair it for your money, be happy. It's only $150.

Bob Salomon
6-Oct-2011, 11:45
Contact Quality Camera or PPR or Showcase in Atlanta and ask them. Quality Camera sells a lot of older items like you have.

Corran
6-Oct-2011, 18:55
In no way does Ebay guarantee your right to repair merchandise on sellers account.

I know. But they guarantee I'm happy or a full refund will be issued, either at their expense or the sellers.

I've gone through it a couple times with poor sellers. Easy. I am also on their fast-track service because of how much business I do on ebay.

mikebarger
6-Oct-2011, 19:01
The one time I did have an issue, out of over 1500 transactions, Ebay said if it was a shutter you were sent, and not a brick, it was up to me to determine if it worked correctly or not before I bid on it. Shutter ran extremely slow.

Maybe things have changed, this was some five years ago.

And after a CLA it has performed flawlessly.

alex from holland
6-Oct-2011, 23:01
Alex, I don't think watch repair shop would be able to handle this. To take thing apart and sort blades out is a patience work, but at this iris one of the blade pin is missing. That might be a bigger challenge. So one of the camera repair services will need to work on this.

Marko

Oh yes they can.
My father was a clock/watcmaker. The are able to repair the finest things. This would have been an easy job for him.

Alex

Math
7-Oct-2011, 01:01
That's a very nice lens! I'm jealous. I hope you get it fixed. If not, I might always be interested.

Steve Smith
7-Oct-2011, 02:16
the seller is from Poland so a return would be a pain (I wouldn't get the money for months probably).

Why does being Polish imply a delay in a refund?

Steve.

Stephane
7-Oct-2011, 04:24
Why dont you do it yourself?

It is not that difficult.

I have done it few times. It is a question of patience and gentleness, and once you have done it, you can do it on others...

Corran
7-Oct-2011, 07:09
Why does being Polish imply a delay in a refund?

Steve.

Usually ebay's policy on a refund is to ship the item back, and only then does the seller refund the money. Unless I paid a lot of money for Express shipping it takes quite a while for things to get overseas and through customs. And anyway, return shipping would still be 1/3 the price of the CLA (or almost the whole price for Express).

BTW, the seller is agreeing to a partial refund.

Stephane, I would like to learn how, but I don't have a proper workspace here at my place nor do I want to destroy a nice expensive lens while learning. I have a cheap Compur shutter that doesn't run well around here, I'll learn on that sometime.

Stephane
7-Oct-2011, 08:02
Work space? Kitchen table is plenty!

If you can unscrew the iris rings, then it is easy. Nothing to worry about, unless you get frustrated and rough.
It is easier to fix a simple iris like yours than try to learn on a shutter with springs and all...

GPS
7-Oct-2011, 08:07
It is easier to fix a simple iris like yours than try to learn on a shutter with springs and all...

That's for sure...:) Maybe he could even find the missing pin somewhere inside the wreckage...

sanchi heuser
7-Oct-2011, 09:57
I ask because I am going to ask for a partial refund for the lens from the ebay seller. Furthermore, the seller is from Poland so a return would be a pain (I wouldn't get the money for months probably).

See photo:

How was the lens described?
Did you pay with Paypal?
When it was described as fully functional and no blade issue was mentioned,
you have the right to get your money back.

Open a case on Ebay. Then you've buyer protection.
Normally Ebay will suggest that you and the seller make an agreement:
you ship the item back,
and the seller pays back purchase price and original shipping costs,
the back shipping is on your expenses.

When the seller doesn't want to
pay money back after receiving the item it's very important to contact Ebay customer service and report that.
But don't wait to long with it. After a certain time span (20,30 days, I don't know)
it's over and Ebay will do nothing.

Ok, when you want to keep the lens, it's another thing.
But you don't have to beg for partial refund. It's the sellers fault when the item was described false.