PDA

View Full Version : My tribute to Brett Weston

Merg Ross
4-Oct-2011, 16:40
I have added a small tribute to Brett Weston as portfolio #9 on my website; mostly 8x10 work from the 1960's.

http://www.mergross.com/portfolios.htm

Thanks,
Merg

William Whitaker
4-Oct-2011, 16:52
Excellent Merg! Your images are wonderful; your stories are endearing.

Kirk Gittings
4-Oct-2011, 16:54
Befitting! Well done Merg. You were blessed to have been mentored by him.

Shawn Dougherty
4-Oct-2011, 17:06
Truly enjoyed reading the opening and looking through the images, Merg. Thank you.

Michael Kadillak
4-Oct-2011, 19:17
What a truly thoughtful tribute. The images are simply exceptional as always.

Daniel Stone
4-Oct-2011, 19:39
Wonderful Merg!

thanks for sharing

Dan

Richard Wasserman
4-Oct-2011, 23:02
Beautiful Merg, thank you.

Duane Polcou
4-Oct-2011, 23:46
What a great portfolio.

Marko
5-Oct-2011, 05:59
It is truly extraordinary to have such a mentor as well as such a protégé!

Wonderful portfolio and tribute, thank you for sharing.

But... why is this thread in The Lounge?

jayabbas
5-Oct-2011, 06:59
Bravo !! I would love to see your prints in the "real". Nice vision !!!

Allen in Montreal
5-Oct-2011, 07:39
Very nice Merg.
I am sure the audio recordings you are working on will hold many great stories of your time with Brett. I am looking forward to sitting and listening to them.

dperez
5-Oct-2011, 07:49
Thanks for sharing. That was a thoughtful introduction, and the pictures are inspiring. I would love to see the prints.

Scott Walker
5-Oct-2011, 08:07
Very nice Merg, thoroughly enjoyed reading the tribute and viewing your images.

Drew Wiley
5-Oct-2011, 09:05
That's wonderful Merg. My "official" tribute shot to him was actually in a big color
Cibachrome of some fractured petrified wood, but had the intense black shadows and graphic strength reminiscent of Brett's black-and-white prints. He spotted it through a
gallery window way back when and left me a kind note. Allegedly he bought a smaller
version of the same print; but in any case, a mutual acquaintance recently told me
that the print is still in the same neighorhood on a Pebble Beach wall. I have a big
equipment purchase set aside right now for a long-time family friend of the Westons,
and he should be in here to pick it up in a few days. He probably knows about your
work too. I'll ask.

Jim Cole
5-Oct-2011, 09:46
Wonderful tribute one of my favorite photographers, with a series of wonderful, very inspiring images. Thanks for sharing it with us, Merg.

Richard M. Coda
5-Oct-2011, 10:01
Beautiful! Thanks.

IanG
5-Oct-2011, 11:15
Thanks for posting Merg, interesting work.

Ian

Monty McCutchen
5-Oct-2011, 11:23
Merg,

That was fantastic, both the writing and the photos.

I love #8 and #10. 8 looks like a portrait!

thanks for posting the history as well

monty

bob carnie
5-Oct-2011, 13:39
Me too- Brett Weston IMO was one of the best printers of all time. thanks for sharing.

Bravo !! I would love to see your prints in the "real". Nice vision !!!

Merg Ross
5-Oct-2011, 17:58
My thanks and appreciation to all of you for taking a look, and for the kind comments.

Merg

Merg Ross
5-Oct-2011, 18:23
It is truly extraordinary to have such a mentor as well as such a protégé!

Wonderful portfolio and tribute, thank you for sharing.

But... why is this thread in The Lounge?

Thank you, Marko.

To answer your question, I could not determine an appropriate category, so placed it in The Lounge. I seldom visit The Lounge, but am pleased to hear from those who do! Perhaps the moderators will move the thread to a more appropriate place; that would be fine by me, but I won't ask.

Merg

h2oman
5-Oct-2011, 18:53
Fabulous images, Merg. Any time I think that the thing standing between me and great images is magical timing or a special location, images like yours or Brett's point out an embarrassing truth: The images are everywhere, I'm just not seeing them! :(

This is not to say that Weston Beach isn't a special place with perhaps more opportunities than some other places, but images like those and others of yours I've seen are possible almost anywhere. I've GOT to refine my vision...

As far as moving the post, I think this belongs in "Announcements."

Thanks so much for sharing.

David Karp
5-Oct-2011, 22:27
Wonderful Merg.

Tony Karnezis
6-Oct-2011, 00:14
Beautiful tribute and photos.

David Hedley
6-Oct-2011, 07:58
I'd like to see prints of #11 & #12 together - they seem highly complementary in terms of form, tone and contrast.

rdenney
6-Oct-2011, 10:56
I really enjoyed the portfolio and the way it was presented. The photographs have such clarity, which is a perfect tribute to Brett Weston.

Why did you post this in the Lounge? This seems to be a reasonable topic for one of the regular forums, and more people might see it.

Rick "not worthy" Denney

Jim Galli
6-Oct-2011, 13:18
Inspired as always! So many human forms in those rocks. Just took excellent eyes to 'see' them.

Walter Calahan
6-Oct-2011, 13:47
Thank you for the invitation to celebrate your gifted vision!

Hugo Zhang
6-Oct-2011, 17:27
Beautiful and inspiring!!!

John Kasaian
6-Oct-2011, 17:54
Beautiful work! I've been to Weston Beach and it is a magical place.

Tori Nelson
6-Oct-2011, 17:55
Your work is so beautiful, I love going through your website from time to time, it's like a mini vacation away from stress. I particularly like #10 from your Weston series, It's really so different from anything I've seen at Weston Beach. It really draws me in and I keep going back to it.

Merg Ross
6-Oct-2011, 22:47
Again, thanks for the kind comments, they are very much appreciated.

As this is a tribute to Brett, I want to suggest the excellent video made by Art Wright in 1972. Perhaps most of you are familiar with the film, but for those who may not be, I am providing a link:

http://www.brettwestonphotographer.com/

I viewed it again tonight after several years, and Art has done a good job of presenting Brett, the person. As an added enticement, 892 of Brett's images are included.

David Hedley
7-Oct-2011, 05:07
+1 for the Art Wright DVD. I bought it a few weeks ago instead of the Brett Weston biography (mainly because the postage costs to Europe for the book were so high), and have found it to be quietly inspiring.

Preston
7-Oct-2011, 06:34
Gorgeous work, Merg! Simply gorgeous.

--P

Jim Fitzgerald
7-Oct-2011, 07:37
Merg, it is always a pleasure to view your inspiring work. i have always seen Brett's influence in your work. You now are our mentor. Thank you for sharing such beautiful work with us.

Merg Ross
10-Oct-2011, 22:58
+1 for the Art Wright DVD. I bought it a few weeks ago instead of the Brett Weston biography (mainly because the postage costs to Europe for the book were so high), and have found it to be quietly inspiring.

You made a good choice!

Gorgeous work, Merg! Simply gorgeous.

--P

Preston, thank you.

Merg, it is always a pleasure to view your inspiring work. i have always seen Brett's influence in your work. You now are our mentor. Thank you for sharing such beautiful work with us.

Jim, thank you, and I will add that your work is also inspirational and shows a passion for a slightly different approach to image making. Mentor, perhaps to a few, but I am always happy to share my work with the talented and appreciative members of this forum.

Jim Fitzgerald
10-Oct-2011, 23:13
Merg, thanks for the kind words. Passion in my work and in yours is something we share in common. I never ever get tired of the challenge to do better.

Merg Ross
15-Dec-2011, 23:17
One hundred years ago today, December 16, 1911, Brett Weston was born.

Happy Birthday good friend, I will be joining your friends and relatives in Carmel for a toast this evening.

Scott Walker
15-Dec-2011, 23:42
One hundred years ago today, December 16, 1911, Brett Weston was born.

Happy Birthday good friend, I will be joining your friends and relatives in Carmel for a toast this evening.

I will make sure a pint or two are tipped in his honor in my neighborhood as well.....

Dan Dozer
15-Dec-2011, 23:50
Merg,

Thanks for posting this - it sort of has a special meaning to me. I had the opportunity to spend a weekend back in June with Kim Weston in Carmel. Listening to two days of "Weston" stories and being able to view Edward and Brett Weston images and negatives was the most interesting photo experience I have ever had. Thanks again for sharing.

Alan Curtis
21-Dec-2011, 07:49
Merg
Thanks for providing the link to Art Wrights DVD of Brett Weston, the best $25 I've invested this year. Hard to believe it was made over 40 years ago. I wish there were more like this of photographers working at their craft.
Your tribute to him was perfect, beautiful photographs made in his backyard.

Michael Graves
21-Dec-2011, 08:38
Very, very nice. Although I must admit a preference for Portfolio #5. Altogether very nice work throughout.

Merg Ross
22-Dec-2011, 12:58
Merg
Thanks for providing the link to Art Wrights DVD of Brett Weston, the best $25 I've invested this year. Hard to believe it was made over 40 years ago. I wish there were more like this of photographers working at their craft.
Your tribute to him was perfect, beautiful photographs made in his backyard.

Very, very nice. Although I must admit a preference for Portfolio #5. Altogether very nice work throughout.

Thank you both for the kind comments.

Alan, I'm pleased to hear that you purchased Art's DVD and have enjoyed it. Well done indeed, plus all of those (892) photographs from the BW Archive included. I still view it from time to time for inspiration!

Alan Curtis
22-Dec-2011, 16:44
Merg
You are absolutely right about the archive of the Brett Weston prints what a wonderful way to see how he viewed and photographed the world, that alone is worth the price of the DVD. I can see how he inspired and influenced your work.
Isn't that a young Merg Ross in several of the scenes?

Merg Ross
22-Dec-2011, 21:41
Isn't that a young Merg Ross in several of the scenes?

Yes, during my bearded youth, photographing with Brett at Point Lobos with the Calumet fully extended; and later back at his house for "snake bite time".

We are fortunate that Art Wright returned to finish his initial 1971 filming years later, and released it as the currently available DVD. I recall the day in 2003, with DVD in hand, that Art came by the house with the finished product. Perhaps there had been prior screenings, but 2003 was my first viewing of the edited version, and the results represent a rare rapport between subject and filmmaker.

zoneVIII
25-Dec-2011, 18:25
georgous images Merg, thanks for sharing

rdenney
29-Dec-2011, 17:56
As this is a tribute to Brett, I want to suggest the excellent video made by Art Wright in 1972. Perhaps most of you are familiar with the film, but for those who may not be, I am providing a link:

http://www.brettwestonphotographer.com/

My copy arrived yesterday and I viewed it last night. I found it most illuminating and inspiring. Brett Weston has always been a favorite of mine and having that image archive is astounding. His images work powerfully even on a TV screen. Thank you for the link.

Rick "thinking his work demonstrates a non-dependence on subject about as well as anything done" Denney

Michael Kadillak
29-Dec-2011, 18:30
I cue up the DVD regularly when the daily grind of the business world starts to wear me down and I need a respite. I have two more kids to get through college and I will be lighting massive bonfires, getting up at the crack of dawn and making sure that the snakes are continuously kept at bay....

Brian Ellis
29-Dec-2011, 22:41
John Sexton does an imitation of Brett Weston talking. It's actually quite funny, I don't remember exactly what he says but apparently Brett wasn't too big on keeping records, financial details, tax returns, etc. and John's little spoof is based on that trait IIRC. Of course never having heard Brett Weston speak I had no idea how accurate it was. Now, having heard him speak on the video, I'm amazed at how spot-on John's imitation is. Merg, have you ever heard John do that? If you hear him do it I think you'd believe Brett was in the room, he sounds just like Brett in the video.

Merg Ross
30-Dec-2011, 12:38
georgous images Merg, thanks for sharing

Thank you.

My copy arrived yesterday and I viewed it last night. I found it most illuminating and inspiring. Brett Weston has always been a favorite of mine and having that image archive is astounding. His images work powerfully even on a TV screen. Thank you for the link.

Rick "thinking his work demonstrates a non-dependence on subject about as well as anything done" Denney

Rick, glad you liked it.

Art recently wrote: "The film was done about as well as one could with a wind-up Bolex and a ten-dollar tape recorder. When I retired, I decided to transfer it to DVD so the memory of Brett's work would endure".

Jim Cole
30-Dec-2011, 13:02
I just ordered Art's DVD. Meant to do it awhile back when it was first mentioned by Merg, but I had forgotten until now. Thanks for the entire thread, Merg!

Merg Ross
30-Dec-2011, 15:35
John Sexton does an imitation of Brett Weston talking. It's actually quite funny, I don't remember exactly what he says but apparently Brett wasn't too big on keeping records, financial details, tax returns, etc. and John's little spoof is based on that trait IIRC. Of course never having heard Brett Weston speak I had no idea how accurate it was. Now, having heard him speak on the video, I'm amazed at how spot-on John's imitation is. Merg, have you ever heard John do that? If you hear him do it I think you'd believe Brett was in the room, he sounds just like Brett in the video.

Brian, no, I did not know that side of John's talents. However, I can still hear the sound of Brett's voice; he was a wonderful storyteller.

Merg Ross
30-Dec-2011, 15:39
I cue up the DVD regularly when the daily grind of the business world starts to wear me down and I need a respite. I have two more kids to get through college and I will be lighting massive bonfires, getting up at the crack of dawn and making sure that the snakes are continuously kept at bay....

Michael, be sure to have an ample supply of kerosene and Jim Beam on hand for the fires and snakes.

Michael Kadillak
30-Dec-2011, 16:13
Michael, be sure to have an ample supply of kerosene and Jim Beam on hand for the fires and snakes.

Will do.

I about fell over with laughter when I saw the video of Brett lighting the kerosene drenched stack of wood and seeing the blaze erupt in the darkness. A classic.

In the middle of a wilderness area of Montana in my youth a local Crow indian brought to my attention an observance passed among his tribes elders while I demonstrated Brett's tendency with bonfires.

"White man build big fire and sit far away" "Indian build small fire, sit close".

Armin Seeholzer
30-Dec-2011, 16:17
Very good vision Merg and thanks for showing us!

Cheers Armin

rdenney
30-Dec-2011, 16:20
"White man build big fire and sit far away" "Indian build small fire, sit close".

The way I heard it was: "White man warm up gathering wood for big fire. Indian warm up sitting close to small fire."

Rick "nowadays it would be: 'white man go to jail for gathering firewood on public land'" Denney

Merg Ross
30-Dec-2011, 17:43
I just ordered Art's DVD. Meant to do it awhile back when it was first mentioned by Merg, but I had forgotten until now. Thanks for the entire thread, Merg!

My pleasure, Jim. I think you will enjoy Art's DVD, let us know.

Very good vision Merg and thanks for showing us!

Cheers Armin

Armin, thank you.

Curt
2-Jan-2012, 03:25
It's my favorite video; only one complaint, I wish I had actually met and known him.

I've been getting the portfolio series from Michael Smith and treasure them. I hope the series continues to completion, I haven't seen a new one in a while, they are printed so well you can put a magnifier on them and see the details.