PDA

View Full Version : Feisol CT-3371 for 810?

atlcruiser
1-Oct-2011, 16:59
Hi all,
I have decided that I am about pissed off at almost all tripods that will hold my Deardorff. I bought a Zone IV and it was a cranky, heavy beast. I tried a Reis for a few days and loved some of it but the price, size, weight sort of turned me off a bit. I was at B+H last week and looked over almost all their tripods and the only one I liked was over $1,000!

My fall back tripod is a manfrotto 475B. works fine but it is a big, heavy beast that is almost impossible to travel with. I am almost resigned to this guy but it is really starting to show its age...and it is only 4 years old!

Anyone have the Feisol CT-3371? It looks great, price is good and the light weight is sweet. What about the upgraded leg locks?

Thanks

Ari
1-Oct-2011, 18:45
David,
This tripod looks, and, by the description, sounds much like my tripod, an Induro AT 413.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655225-REG/Induro_472_413_Alloy_8M_AT413_Tripod.html

It has pretty much the same features; mine is 2.5 lbs heavier but can support 44 lbs.
I've used it with my Toyo 810G, a marvellous beast, and the tripod hasn't flinched.
I can walk around town all day with it on my shoulder or in a bag, no problem (the tripod, that is).
The only reason I'm mentioning this tripod vs the Feisol is the almost $200 price difference.
I can certainly attest to the Induro's quality and strength; I've put it through the wringer in the year I've had it.
I keep a Manfrotto 3039 head on it, and it takes care of all cameras, from the 5D to the 810G.

Something to ponder, at least.

atlcruiser
1-Oct-2011, 19:13
David,
This tripod looks, and, by the description, sounds exactly like my tripod, an Induro AT 413.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655225-REG/Induro_472_413_Alloy_8M_AT413_Tripod.html

It has pretty much the same features, is 2.5 lbs heavier but can support 44 lbs.
I've used it with my Toyo 810G, a marvellous beast, and the tripod hasn't flinched.
I can walk around town all day with it on my shoulder or in a bag, no problem (the tripod, that is).
The only reason I'm mentioning this tripod vs the Feisol is the almost $200 price difference.
I can certainly attest to the Induro's quality and strength; I've put it through the wringer in the year I've had it.
I keep a Manfrotto 3039 head on it, and it takes care of all cameras, from the 5D to the 810G.

Something to ponder, at least.

wow! Thanks....I did not really look at this at B+H....maybe I was too much of a tripod snob :)

well worth a shot for that amount of money

thanks Ari...might have a winner!

Ari
1-Oct-2011, 19:44
Glad if I could help, David; just bear in mind the difference in weight between the two tripods, if weight was a primary factor.
Aside from that, the Induro comes with a center column, a bag, spikes, and a small tool set for quick repairs.
There's a CF version also (can't remember the model), but I prefer the slightly heavier, but much steadier Al/Mg version.
Let me know how it works out.

atlcruiser
1-Oct-2011, 19:57
If weight was a real issue I would not mess with the 810 :) It is still 3lbs lighter than my current beast and looks well built.

Ari
1-Oct-2011, 19:59
If weight was a real issue I would not mess with the 810 :)

True dat!
It is well-built, and if you don't like it, you can always return it.
But I bet you won't. :)

ckeith
1-Oct-2011, 20:19
I have been using a 3371 with my home made 8x10 for three years. It works great and is nice and light. My camera is now about 8 lb. but was ~11 lb. when I started. Over all I have found the Feisol tripods to be a great value.

Keith

jeroldharter
1-Oct-2011, 21:56
I have two Feisol tripods, a medium and a large. I think my large one is the predecessor to the one you mentioned.

I use it with a Gitzo pan-tilt head and a Wehman 8x10. Solid. No complaints. Good value. Would buy again without hesitation. High quality. Twist locks are smooth.

uniB
2-Oct-2011, 03:50
I've had a 3372 for a few years. It's a good solid tripod and I'd buy another Feisol. I've encounted a couple of issues - firstly the spikes you can get for the 3372 and 3371 are hopeless, they're little more than bolts with slightly pointed ends. I had three thread adaptors made so I could use Gitzo spikes. The big issue I've had with my 3371 is the legs falling off! Two of mine have come off and I've had to stick them back on with Epoxy. I'm sure I'm not the only person to have this issue with them. Maybe they've resolved this issue since I got mine.

All in all though, well recommended.

Ari
2-Oct-2011, 15:49
I've had a 3372 for a few years. It's a good solid tripod and I'd buy another Feisol. I've encounted a couple of issues - firstly the spikes you can get for the 3372 and 3371 are hopeless, they're little more than bolts with slightly pointed ends. I had three thread adaptors made so I could use Gitzo spikes. The big issue I've had with my 3371 is the legs falling off! Two of mine have come off and I've had to stick them back on with Epoxy. I'm sure I'm not the only person to have this issue with them. Maybe they've resolved this issue since I got mine.

All in all though, well recommended.

UniB,
I can appreciate that you like this particular tripod, but I'm not sure I'd give it a hearty thumbs-up if two of my tripod legs came off and were now held by epoxy; my expectations would be higher for a tripod in that price range.

Just sayin'...

atlcruiser
2-Oct-2011, 16:24
One of the biggest issues for me is ease of use and durability. Weight comes is 3rd or 4th. I have the ability to really tear some stuff up :)

I am very tempted to get the RRS tripod but they are not in stock right now and my wallet does not have that sort of $$$. I am tired of going through tripods like film!

Drew Wiley
2-Oct-2011, 16:54
I purchased a Feisol 3472 and absolutely wouldn't want anything lighter for an 8X10.
The nice thing about this is that the center disc at the top can easily be removed and replaced, which made it really easy to run a short section of 3/8-16 ss threaded rod and mount the matching teflon washers and ss e-clips, European-style (I detest
tripod heads with view cameras and mount the camera directly to the top of the
tripod, which in this case is reasonably large for good contact). The legs of the Feisol are like the Induro, and wisely splayed outwards for excellent torsion control
and triangulation support. I also installed the heavy-duty stainless steel spikes to
the feet. Overall, it weighs just half of what my Ries does, and will carry more
compactly in my backpack, like inside my wife's little Saturn trunk. After testing,
I stored the tripod away in its complementary Cordura case. It's really an investment in Geezerhood and the eventual need for lighter gear. For now the Ries
is a better performer: it has the mass to resist wind better, or to bully into the
mud, and is probably a lot more durable in the long run. The carbon sections of the
Feisol are strong and will support weight competently, but are thin, so you don't
want to going banging into rocks etc.

Frank Petronio
2-Oct-2011, 17:55
I had those Chinese tripods in my hand right next to the Gitzos and the Gitzos were clearly better tripods. You get what you pay for. You remember all the old sayings about buying good tools once versus cheap tools over and over... what a perfect example.

Get this tripod:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120784622427?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1003wt_104

Put this head on it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gitzo-G1570M-3-way-Low-Profile-Pan-Tilt-Head-/360395987396?pt=UK_Tripods_Heads_Stablisers&hash=item53e94659c4#ht_500wt_879

End of story. You say you're rough with your gear so you shouldn't be messing with plastic, err, I mean CF. Man up and deal with the weight, this is the rock-solid gear you need for consistently sharp 8x10s.

There is no perfect tripod but at least this one won't fail you.

atlcruiser
2-Oct-2011, 18:25
I feel ya......that is just too much of a beast. The chinese one looks good for the money. I might just learn to deal with the one i have until it self destructs

jeroldharter
2-Oct-2011, 18:32
Man up? No kidding. 15 pounds for a tripod plus 16 pounds for a Deardorff. I suppose you would have a 360 mm plasmat on there just for principle. Add the pan-tilt head just to hit the 40 pound mark. A reasonable budget would include another $25,000 for orthopedic care.

My setup is ~16 pounds for similar gear but with lightweight alternatives.

atlcruiser
2-Oct-2011, 18:55
Man up? No kidding. 15 pounds for a tripod plus 16 pounds for a Deardorff. I suppose you would have a 360 mm plasmat on there just for principle. Add the pan-tilt head just to hit the 40 pound mark. A reasonable budget would include another $25,000 for orthopedic care.

My setup is ~16 pounds for similar gear but with lightweight alternatives.

I agree with you...what is your set up? I might order the induro tonight to give it a shot

Ari
2-Oct-2011, 20:00
I had those Chinese tripods in my hand right next to the Gitzos and the Gitzos were clearly better tripods. You get what you pay for. You remember all the old sayings about buying good tools once versus cheap tools over and over... what a perfect example.

Get this tripod:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120784622427?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1003wt_104

Put this head on it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gitzo-G1570M-3-way-Low-Profile-Pan-Tilt-Head-/360395987396?pt=UK_Tripods_Heads_Stablisers&hash=item53e94659c4#ht_500wt_879

End of story. You say you're rough with your gear so you shouldn't be messing with plastic, err, I mean CF. Man up and deal with the weight, this is the rock-solid gear you need for consistently sharp 8x10s.

There is no perfect tripod but at least this one won't fail you.

Frank, I usually agree with you on other stuff, but I've been using the Induro for a year now, and using it hard, winter and summer.
It's got scratches, but it's otherwise just like the day I bought it.
I could probably say the same thing about that Gitzo equipment, but the price difference makes it a no-brainer for me.
As for Chinese quality, I've tried a variety of different products, some of which I've sent back; this tripod won't be going back, ever.
I had a Benro, and sent it back; it looked and sounded good on paper, but felt cheap in the flesh. I compared Gitzo and Induro side-by-side, and the Induro's quality was on a par with a similarly-sized Gitzo.
I'm happy I gave the Induro a try, and I'm happy to pass along the information.

atlcruiser
2-Oct-2011, 20:05
Mine will arrive Wed......lets keep our fingers crossed

Scott Davis
2-Oct-2011, 20:49
I have an Induro CT-314 (carbon-fiber 4-section legset). It holds my Canham 5x12 or my Seneca whole plate without blinking an eye. I'm sure it would do fine with my Zone VI 8x10 as well - I can't say as I've stopped shooting 8x10 so I've never tried that combo. I got the CF tripod because it is light enough and compact enough to travel with and carry around, and the Induro was enough cheaper than the Gitzo that I could stomach the price. To me, the difference between the Induro and the Gitzo was more about finesse than substance.

Frank Petronio
2-Oct-2011, 20:57
Eh you're right, I was fondling them and the differences were minor, the locks and such a tiny bit better on the Gitzo but not at 2x the price, I understand. And the CF is more damp than Aluminum, so that's worth a point or two in their favor as well (besides the weight advantage). I can't even bitch about American jobs since they are all foreign-made.

It would be interesting though, after following those other threads comparing the 8x10 to the fancy digital back, where the 8x10 seems to be let down by either poor focusing or camera instability... to do a real test now that we have these cheap laser levels. We should be able to mount one of those levels on top of a camera and tripod combo and actually see the vibration.... My hunch is that most people have too light a tripod for optimal sharpness and the big heavy beasts really do help you make sharper photos.

jeroldharter
2-Oct-2011, 21:13
I agree with you...what is your set up? I might order the induro tonight to give it a shot

I have one of the larger Feisol's, the Gitzo pan-tilt head Frank referenced, and a Wehman 8x10.

For lenses while hiking, I have g-Clarons in 210, 240, 305 plus a Fujinon 450 and 600. I don't always carry it all, usually try to pick and choose. Also have a 4x5 reduction back if I want to go lighter with the film holders or take more shots. With the Wehman I can go as short as 90 in a pinch.

I have not bothered to weigh everything but the tripod is ~ 4 pounds, camera 8, head 2, lenses about 1 pound each with Canha, boards. I use a diminutive Gossen Digisix meter for BTZS incident metering. It is relatively weightless.

The Feisol is solid and I have not had any issues. It has a hook under the short column so I can hang some weight if necessary.

I tried using an Arca Z1 ball head which is lighter and rated to hold the load but it was not up to the task. The Gitzo pan-tilt could be lighter and smoother but it is rock solid. The arms detach for packing. The only complaint is the the degree the head can be pointed upward is limited by the arm which hits he tripod's mounting plate.

Ari
2-Oct-2011, 21:22
It would be interesting though, after following those other threads comparing the 8x10 to the fancy digital back, where the 8x10 seems to be let down by either poor focusing or camera instability... to do a real test now that we have these cheap laser levels. We should be able to mount one of those levels on top of a camera and tripod combo and actually see the vibration.... My hunch is that most people have too light a tripod for optimal sharpness and the big heavy beasts really do help you make sharper photos.

Probably true; that's why more should opt for metal over CF in their tripods, but then again, a lot of people choose wood over metal for their cameras... :p

atlcruiser
3-Oct-2011, 04:20
I agree with the Frank as well on that. He and I were at B+H last weekend and actually set up a bunch of tripods and shook them, rattled them and tried to make them shake. I was amazed how much movement there was is some of the "good" ones.

I think there is a lot to be said for the wood tripods. At the end of the day the Reis style will give the best posisble platform but the trade offs are too much for me when I think of the type of photos I am taking now and the money I have now.

The Induro will arrive Wed and I have a big ass Bogen 3 way head that I sort of like.......but that is another thread :)

Drew Wiley
4-Oct-2011, 13:39
Where I clearly disagree with Frank in this instance is how the actual joint apparatus
of the Feisol or Induro compares to the Gitzo. With reference to how the big flat surface of an 8x10 folder is concerned, the Gitzo has less surface area and distributes
the torsion less effectively, that is, apples to apples actual tripod wt category. I do
use a Gitzo carbon tripod for 4x5 long-distance backpacking, and the carbon construction is indeed better; but with 8x10 torsion-resistance becomes very significant on a tripod whether you use a redundant head or not. I didn't choose the
Feisol in this instance because it was less expensive than the other options, but
because it does exactly what I want. Whenever possible I prefer real mass under a
big camera; but real mass comes with real weight. I'm not going to whack a branch
of poision oak off the trail with the Feisol like I sometimes do with the Ries, or prop it
up in a hard wind to witness my 8x10 become a kite; but for compactness and
weight prioritizing, I'm very happy with it.

Drew Wiley
4-Oct-2011, 13:45
Ari - I'd rather have carbon fiber over metal because it dampens vibration better. As
someone already noted, you can always hang a bag of rock from the hook below the
platform. Carbon fiber also won't sting your skin on a really cold day like metal. Wood is the best, but heavy and bulky.

Ari
4-Oct-2011, 14:18
Ari - I'd rather have carbon fiber over metal because it dampens vibration better. As
someone already noted, you can always hang a bag of rock from the hook below the
platform. Carbon fiber also won't sting your skin on a really cold day like metal. Wood is the best, but heavy and bulky.

Drew,
Most modern tripods now have the rubber or foam covering on the legs and joints, so cold is less of a hardship.
I've heard that CF can break in very cold weather, but that may just be internet rumours.
As for vibration, it's something I've never noticed with 4x5 or the much-heavier 810, but maybe there's a measurable difference between metal and CF in a scientific test.

The important thing is to get the kind of gear good enough so that you never think about it; it just get used and works properly.

Drew Wiley
4-Oct-2011, 15:14
Ari - I found the foam covering on my Feisol to be largely redundant except as a minor
cushion against accidents. I bought the very first model of carbon tripod ever marketed, the first Gitzo Mountaineer, modified it, and have used it in abhorrent weather conditions ever since, since this is indeed my mountain tripod for 4x5. It has
held up superlatively in cold and wet weather. I don't know if the newer thinner-walled Gitzo tubes are inferior in this respect. The Feisol tubes are quite thin but support the
load quite well. It's a tradeoff. I don't want to give up 8x10 backpacking anytime soon.
A lighter tripod is just an ace in the hole if at some point I can't carry the heavy loads
anymore. I don't think that will be soon, but just like hiking up a mtn pass, once you're
over the hill you go down the other side at a faster pace.

Ari
4-Oct-2011, 16:41
A lighter tripod is just an ace in the hole if at some point I can't carry the heavy loads
anymore.

I can't argue with that!
If I go for a walk, I bring something handheld, like a Canon 5D, or Mamiya TLR.
But usually, the city is where I work, so having a handcart is a must.

Drew Wiley
5-Oct-2011, 11:28
Ari - that's my second reason for having a big carbon tripod. If I'm carrying around the
huge Ries with its antler spikes strapped to the back of a huge pack in a city park or somewhere analogous, people are going to freak. With the Feisol I can simply spin the spikes off, attach the original rubber feet, collapse the whole thing under a pack flap
all civilized, and look less intimidating. Out on the trail, the more rugged look is in style
and is more likely to gain respect, at least around here. With that big maple tripod and
the 810 atop, almost nobody crosses in front without asking permission. They know its
a serious shot and are very respectful. Too bad it's not like that in the drive-up
sections of Natl Parks, where some brat sick of being cooped up in a car all the way
from seeing Old Faithful in Yellowstone to getting out at the next stop in front of
Yosemite Falls is just itching to practice his slingshot aim on your groundglass!

atlcruiser
5-Oct-2011, 16:37
Well the Induro arrived today. first impressions are good. nice build quality, solid overall construction. I mounted the 810 to it and it sure seems solid. without a doubt it is more solid than the larger, heavier manfrotto i was using.

I am already a bit unhappy with the leg twist locks. One needs to turn them quite a bit to lock/unlock. I will get used to it in time but I do miss those nice gitzo twist locks.

I will use it for a few weeks and see how much it aggravates me. I got it fomr B+H and their return policy is great.

I will give it a chance......... promise :)

Ari
5-Oct-2011, 17:35
Glad it arrived, let us know what you think about it in due time.
Strange bit about the twist locks; I've noticed nothing unusual about their operation.
I haven't handled the latest Gitzo, though, so I don't know how much better the latest generation is compared to other brands.
What head have you got on it, btw?

Frank Petronio
5-Oct-2011, 18:16
The latest Gitzo locks only require a quarter-turn, they are cammed. The Feisol has simple friction locks, like the older Gitzos. The newer locks are definitely a plus but at what cost?

atlcruiser
5-Oct-2011, 18:25
I have a really old bogen 3047...the one with the 6" arms sticking out in such a way that the tripod will never lay flat on any surface.

If I have solved the tripod issue, and I think i might have, I will soon start bitching about my head. The only real problem I have with it is the long arms and that fact that it sort of locks up at times :)

Frank Petronio
5-Oct-2011, 18:57
And then you can get into Arca-Swiss quick releases after you find the perfect head.

You might like one of those Manfrotto micro-geared heads like the 405 or 410. You can pull the knobs out to disengage the gearing for big, fast moves. But they are a little heavier than some other heads.

atlcruiser
5-Oct-2011, 19:27
And then you can get into Arca-Swiss quick releases after you find the perfect head.

You might like one of those Manfrotto micro-geared heads like the 405 or 410. You can pull the knobs out to disengage the gearing for big, fast moves. But they are a little heavier than some other heads.

I had the bigger one and loved it. Very easy to use with about any camera but LF. My big hands had a hard time getting to those small knobs under the bed. Loved it for the MF stuff but too expensive for limited use so off it went

Ari
6-Oct-2011, 05:51
I'd love to try the Induro PHQ3 head, it too uses Arca-style plates; I've heard excellent things about it, but I'm also quite happy with the 3039 Bogen head.

atlcruiser
6-Oct-2011, 06:51
I'd love to try the Induro PHQ3 head, it too uses Arca-style plates; I've heard excellent things about it, but I'm also quite happy with the 3039 Bogen head.

I looked at the Induro head as well. Some very mixed reviews at B+H sort of made me decide to wait a while.

I looked at the 3039 head but it des not seem much different than the 3047 head i have now...maybe a bit smaller?

Now that we have gone through all of the discussion here I am thinking a two tipod set up for the 810. One will be the Induro (if it makes the cut) with a bogen style head and the other will be a Ries style with a big head...either a Matthews, Ries or the like. The smaller, lighter kit is great for about 80% of what I do and plan to do but I think I will need a heavier kit for really being outdoors.

atlcruiser
7-Oct-2011, 11:36
Well, we went out for day one with the Induro. So far so good. It is as solid as a rock. I had used the big ass manfrotto studio tripod in the past so this is quite a change for me. I did know how much wobble was in the Deardorff when the bellowes were extended prior to today! I think the manfrotto was loose enough so that some of the wobble was absorbed where the Induro is very solid and the camera itself moves.

The twist locks are still difficult. I dont think paying $500 more for the Gitzo with better locks makes sense though :) I will figure them out and the locks are much better than the Gitzo I use for MF and 45.

I think the Induro is light enough for 45 as well. I might be able to get rid of my gitzo that i normally use for MF/45 and get a big old wodden monster for real outdoor use with the 810.

The 3047 head works fine with it....just the usual issues with the head but nothing to do with the triopd. I feel that the head sticking up so far gives an additional pivot point for wobble that I did not feel with the old manfrotto at all.

Overall a very good purchase. Thanks Ari for the heads up on this. My tripod snobism had prevented me from looking at the Induros; lesson learned!

Ari
7-Oct-2011, 17:54
Hey David,
I'm glad you like the tripod, I swear by it for all formats.
Have no fear with 8x10.
When I get some spare change, I'll be picking up the PHQ-3 head (the good one) and trying it out.