PDA

View Full Version : Laser pointer to judge tripod shake

Bill Burk
1-Oct-2011, 15:49
Has anybody mounted a laser pointer, pointed to the ground, to check their system for tripod shake just at the moment of shooting the picture?

I thought about it for a long time, and today I played with the idea. You might know from my posts that I have a tripod that I think borders on the edge of being too lightweight for 4x5, but is still better than no tripod.

Even in bright sunlight, when aimed at a shadow of a tripod leg, I could see the red spot. I could easily see it wiggle when I cocked the shutter and could see it wiggle when I fired the cable release with a hard jam.

I'm beginning to think it might be worth making something like a hot-shoe mount laser pointer that can be easily repositioned to aim at the ground (or any convenient point you can see). Even better if it were a detector system that could buzz when there's movement. But at least the concept seems like it might work.

Len Middleton
1-Oct-2011, 16:00
Bill,

For those using an Apple iPhone, there is PhotoToolsPro. It includes a level and vibration sensor, as well as a database for equipment.

That might meet your needs, IF you use an iPhone.

Regards,

Len

Bill Burk
1-Oct-2011, 16:12
Thanks Len,

Not an iPhone user, so that won't be my solution.

Forgot I need to level too... For that I bring the yellow-green cylinder I removed from an ordinary level.

Len Middleton
1-Oct-2011, 16:24
Bill,

Understand, hence the big "IF". On the other hand, if you have a photo friend with one, talk them into the application and see how robust and rigid your tripod and head combination are for your camera.

I am a recent adopter, as it has been less than a year for me and the iPhone.

Might want to see if you can get the level mounted onto the camera or an accessory / cold shoe mount for a dual axis level.

My Dorff V8 has a set of "L" shaped levels mounted on it, and my 4x5 has a bullseye level on it. One less thing to lose or forget...

Regards,

Len

Bill Burk
1-Oct-2011, 16:34
One less thing to lose or forget...

Yup, I have been on my hands and knees reaching under the rock I saw the bubble roll under... Got it back though

Bob Salomon
1-Oct-2011, 16:36
The 1/06 issue of Leica Photography International had a cover story about testing and comparing tripod stability and vibration by attaching the laser pointer to the tripod with a camera on it. Poiting the camera and the laser pointer at a wall with graph paper on it and then applying a measured force to the tripod while the laser was on and the shutter was open. That let them photograph, with a time exposure, the pattern the laser pointer made on the graph paper. From that they could compute the amount of vibration between brands and compare them. If anyone can't find that issue (try the Leica web site) I can email them privately the 8 page article. Thripods tested were two Giottos (both now discontinued), two Berlebachs, two Manfrottos and two Gitzos. They tested aluminum, carbon and wood and compared them.

Len Middleton
1-Oct-2011, 16:44
Bob,

Do you really think that scientific evidence is going to persuade those with strong opinions regarding their favourite material, manufacturer, tripod configuration, etc.?

Thanks for providing it to those who ask the questions because we know we do not have all the answers... :D

Regards,

Len