PDA

View Full Version : Workflow Colour Problems with C41

Pete B
30-Sep-2011, 11:17
Hi. I'm Pete. I contribute to a couple of forums on the net but thought I'd try here as there must be some talent here when it comes to C41 Colour Neg workflow. I like to use my scanner (Epson V700) to get all the info off the negative then process in PP software. I'm using Epson Scan, but have also used Vuescan and Silverfast. I like to scan as a positive. I don't use ColourNeg anymore.
This is my basic workflow:

Linear neg scan into PP software (NX2):

Convert to Positive:

Find black and white points of each colour channel:

Perhaps Auto Levels:

More to follow:

Pete B
30-Sep-2011, 11:26
Perhaps clicking a mid grey if available:

Contrast and colour saturation:

All looks ok until I bring up the pro scan. If I alter the colour to get the Tshirt top left looking ok, the T shirt top right goes purple:

If I alter the T shirt top right to look bluish, the reds turn magenta:

My questions are
1) Is my general workflow ok?
2) are there extra colour balancing tools in Photoshop other than altering gamma on curves or the usual colour sliders common to all post processing software packages (ie would I benefit from getting photoshop)?
3) Am I chasing my tail and this issue of colour space (?) can't be solved with standard post processing software (I must revisit ColorNeg or get an Imacon scanner!)

Pete

Tyler Boley
30-Sep-2011, 13:03
I've worked this way as well, and though it can be a bit laborious, can yield good results. To make useful edits on the way one color looks, and not effect others as mentioned in your last attachments, I suggest you spend some tile making yourself familiar with the selective color tool. It is available as an adjustment layer as well, so can be reset etc..
Lastly, the color neg scans I have either recieved from others for editing/printing, made with the color neg options in the Epson software, were pretty good. When I had access to one to work with myself, the color using those tools worked pretty well, reasonable color popping into place pretty easily. Just have to make sure it doesn't auto clip on you...
So, you may be able to save some of this PS work by working with the Epson software some more. My experience with Colour Neg, while intriguing, was ultimately frustrating and I have not used it in a long time.
Tyler

mcfactor
4-Oct-2011, 06:48
I have been using the Selective Color tool to adjust individual colors. You can choose one color, say, red, then within all things red, adjust the amount of blue or green or yellow. You can also choose neutral, which will adjust only neutral colors. So, if you have a tent that clearly should not be magenta you can lower the magenta only for the tent.