PDA

View Full Version : Eidoscope versus home made SF lens

Marko Trebusak
30-Sep-2011, 01:00
Hi There!

Within last batch of film that I processed last week, I find a photo that I already forgot about. I would like to know, what do you think about this comparison (http://www.1vtis.si/?p=951).

I might get motivated and push this test a bit further to see, how this two objectives compare, and I might even find a favorite...

Cheers,
Marko

Brian C. Miller
30-Sep-2011, 08:02
I like it! What details can you give on your Puyo & Pulligny lens?

Marko Trebusak
30-Sep-2011, 08:49
I like it! What details can you give on your Puyo & Pulligny lens?

Hi Brian,

Glad that you like it! Here is a thread (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=19092&highlight=puyo) that let me construct one.

Cheers,
Marko

Asher Kelman
30-Sep-2011, 09:20
I might get motivated and push this test a bit further to see, how this two objectives compare, and I might even find a favorite...

Marko

Marko,

If you are going to scan the film to make a negative for further work, then one could use a color film and then, perhaps, take advantage of the chromatic aberration and correct selectively the RGB channels to achieve the degree of blur you need in any part of the image. I wonder how effective this might be.

Asher

Marko Trebusak
1-Oct-2011, 00:18
Asher,

This is an interesting concept I never thought about. Might be worth trying, if I can find someone to develop 5x4 C41. But I don't think it'll solve the basic problem of focus shift, because the main subject would still need to be focused sharp and compensated for focus shift (I think).

Cheers,
Marko

jp
1-Oct-2011, 07:54
I have been told that the p&p is a complicated lens to use.

Chromatic abberation is not controllable by an iris, unlike spherical abberation. So the front aperture controls spherical but not chromatic. I would think color film would be an option to scan and tune out certain colors, but it seems like a complicated solution to a complicated to use lens. It would be simpler to build/own a lens that is based more on spherical abberation rather than both or chromatic. Then aperture controls the softness.

polyglot
5-Oct-2011, 01:03
If you put a narrow colour filter (e.g. dark green) on and shoot B&W, it should reduce the effects of chromatic aberration.

Marko Trebusak
5-Oct-2011, 03:51
If you put a narrow colour filter (e.g. dark green) on and shoot B&W, it should reduce the effects of chromatic aberration.

That's right. The point is, that in this case one gets boringly sharp lens :eek:. Beleive me, I tried.

Marko