PDA

View Full Version : Our New Show

Monty McCutchen
29-Sep-2011, 08:09
Hello All,

Never had cause to use this forum before now! Wanted to take the time to announce our upcoming show @ The Gallery at CCBC Catonsville, in Baltimore Maryland.

Five of us, David Prifti, Melitte Buchman, Steve Wilson, Kym Kulp and myself have been gathering at each other's houses for the past eight years, (since we took our original wet plate class from France Scully Osterman), to pool resources, shoot wet plate, eat and drink, cavort, argue about art, and otherwise become an extended family. This is our first show together. I couldn't be prouder to be showing with this group of people. They truly are extraordinary folks and I am lucky to be included.

The work is Wet Plate Collodion positives, with some prints thrown in that were derived from Wet Plate Collodion originals. The original work ranges in format from full plate up to 20 x 24 plates.

Here is the link to the Gallery;

http://www.ccbcmd.edu/adim/galleries.html

We would love to see you at the opening on November 4th.

Best,

Monty McCutchen

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
29-Sep-2011, 08:12
Nice name, your idea Monty?

Congratulations.

Monty McCutchen
29-Sep-2011, 08:13
And yes I take full responsibility for our collective name! Alcohol might have been involved. Maybe.

Monty

William Whitaker
29-Sep-2011, 08:14
Congratulations Monty!

Monty McCutchen
29-Sep-2011, 08:15
You beat me to it Jason!

Thank you. By the way--been making some great bread lately here at the house, not quite up to ya'lls standards but tastey none the less.

Hope all is well on your end.,

Monty

Kirk Gittings
29-Sep-2011, 09:02
Congratulations. I wish I could get there. I've always enjoyed your work.

Shawn Dougherty
29-Sep-2011, 10:28
Awesome, Monsta! Congrats, man.

Scott Davis
29-Sep-2011, 13:27
Monty- will try to make it myself, and drag some of the locals along to boot. If you're in town that weekend it's perfect timing as that's the kickoff for FotoWeek DC.

Richard M. Coda
29-Sep-2011, 14:04
Congratulations Monty! Wish I could see the show. Maybe you could have it travel to Phoenix!

Monty McCutchen
29-Sep-2011, 14:50
Thanks guys.

Scott that sounds cool. Not sure of our plans yet but I'll bump this as it gets closer to the date and I will have a better understanding of our schedule then.

Richard,

We need an agent out west!! You just might be the man!

thanks again all

Monty

Kerik Kouklis
29-Sep-2011, 16:16
Good on you, Monty. You've always bragged about what a good masterplater you are. At least I think that's what you said...

gene LaFord
29-Sep-2011, 17:40
Congrats Monty... wish I could be there to see the show.

gene

Merg Ross
29-Sep-2011, 21:00
Monty, congratulations! I never miss the opportunity to view your work on this forum, knowing full well how impressive the original must be. Hope the exhibit is a great success!

Monty McCutchen
17-Oct-2011, 03:50
Hi All,

Thought I would bump this as the show opens today in Catonsville. I will be at the Opening on November fourth, if anyone can make it by.

Here is a short video a friend did of our groups annual gathering as mentioned in the original post.

Also our group got a website up and running for the five of us. If you have a chance take a look. Its somewhat simple right now, but we are glad to have it up and running.

Thanks for looking,

Monty

http://vimeo.com/29686176

http://www.masterplaters.com/

cosmicexplosion
17-Oct-2011, 04:08
looks amazing

i like your work the best from what is on site monty

i think the young lady with the afro and drapes is a classic image, and the wet plate gives it a certain tactile nature, as well as warmth.
which is what it is all about.

i wish you all the best and hope the show went off, by all means post some more masterpieces when you have the chance,

its just out of the way from sydney or i would be there drunk and disordely!

andrew

Richard M. Coda
17-Oct-2011, 07:39
Congrats Monty! Nice video... Nice website too!

tuant
17-Oct-2011, 08:29
Hi Monty,

Congratulations! Too bad it is on Nov 4th. I will be in DC this weekend. Please let me know if there is a place to see some of your plate by chance this weekend. Thanks!

Tuant

Tri Tran
17-Oct-2011, 09:29
Congrats Monty. Best wishes and have a great show.

Monty McCutchen
17-Oct-2011, 10:23
Thanks All.

Sorry I will miss you Tuant. It would be nice to meet you in person. If you have time the show is up right now. The 'opening' is on the fourth but the show is up and running as of today.

Here is a link to the The Gallery @ Catonsville.

http://www.ccbcmd.edu/adim/galleries.html

All the work I have up is new 20 x 24 work. A departure for me in content so I am excited to see how it will be received.

If you get a chance to stop by and see it let me know how it looks on the wall!!

thanks again all,

Monty

Hugo Zhang
17-Oct-2011, 17:26
Monty,

Very inspiring video! I was daydreaming while watching it that someday I could spend a few months in a farm doing that with a bunch of people. :)

Thanks for posting this!
Hugo

Tav Walraven
17-Oct-2011, 20:30
Beautiful work from all of your group, Monty. Wish I could get up there for the show as I would love to see them in person. A great group of "Platers" you hang with once a year. One of these days I'm setting the cruise control for "EAST"........and I received your postcard invite....thanks much!.............

tav

Merg Ross
17-Oct-2011, 21:08
Monty, I have said it before, your work is really special. There is little doubt that the work of your group will be well received; the audience is in for a real treat!

Best,
Merg

Donald Miller
18-Oct-2011, 03:26
I enjoyed this immensely. The process is intriguing and the video production was very good. Thanks for this.

tuant
21-Oct-2011, 18:03
I went today. It took me almost 5 hours on road back and forth from DC: this is why Americans all drive instead of taking public tranportation--I missed the first Marc train, so I had to wait for another hour. Then there is bus 99 from BWI airport to Catonsville, which I had to wait for almost another hour. On the way back, Marc train broke down and we were all stranded for quite a while. How on earth this all happened to me, I don't know. But the exhibition was really great. I wouldn't miss that for anything. There are almost 100 plates of all sizes from full plate to Monty's 2024. There are 4 other artists beside Monty all doing wet plate. I happen to know David. He wouldn't know me as Tuant. I have written too many bad checks in my prevous life, I would never use my real name:D Fantastic plates! I wanted to see them in person because I knew what we see on line is very different. We have all seen Monty's 8D 2024 plate of his wife before but the real plate is so different and so much nicer! Anyway, if you happen to be around that area, I highly recommend it. Q building is right next to bus stop 99 and 77 if you don't drive. If you board an ill fated Marc train, please don't blame me for that. My experience is much worse than yours:D

redbird
23-Oct-2011, 19:03
Thank you so much for that Tuant. I'm one of the other 4 artists and it's particularly nice to hear that people enjoyed the work. We worked hard on this show and I hope the differences between the work show how differently tintype can be used. BTW if you come back for the opening on 11/4 the wine is free.

Jim Fitzgerald
24-Oct-2011, 08:11
Monty, this is great to get together like this and create such wonderful plates. Congrats to all!

Tri Tran
24-Oct-2011, 09:50
Monty,
Please don't forget to post some event pictures. We are dying to see it. Thanks.

Monty McCutchen
3-Nov-2011, 08:49
Hey all,

Thought I would bump the show one more time before tomorrow night. We are here at CCBC giving workshops for three days and it has been a wonderful experience. Hope any that might be able to come do so. I look forward to meeting you. Here is one of the pictures that is hanging. Hope you enjoy.

When we are done I'll post some pictures of the opening early next week. Thanks for looking

20 x 24 Alumitype