PDA

View Full Version : Schneider Hi End Camera Back

Nous
17-May-1999, 04:17
Has anyone had any experience with the new Schnieder Hi End Camera Back? Do you really think that it improves the performance of lenses by providing precision f ilm flatness and ground glass/film plane positioning?

Ellis Vener
17-May-1999, 15:53
Well now you have to make sure your groundglass and filmplane are in alignment to start with. I believe View Camera ran a test recently where they compared several film holding systems: Traditional riteway/ fidelity/elite holders, Readyload & Quickload holders, a Grafmatic holder, glass plates, the Sinar 4x5 back and the Schneider back. The surprising winner in the sharpness/flatness game was the old Grafmatic. Having shot jewelry and other look down/shootdown set ups, film sag in has never been a problem in 4x5. 8x10 yes; 4x5 no. IMO, you just chased your tail out the back end of your wallet but it is your wallet not mine.

If you are shooting maps or computer circuits where you need an amazingly high degree of flatness as well as sharpness and your are working with a very tightly calibrated setup then I think this back is justified but I just can't see the need for general photography

James Chow
5-Jul-1999, 23:02
In the July issue of Shashinkogyo, a Japanese photo equipment review mag, they feature a new vacuum back made by a Japanese company. In fact, they not only offer a conventional vacuum back, but a vacuum easel and vacuum quickload back. Prices are still high, but more sane: Vac plate: 15000 yen (list)

V holder (5x4"): 9800 yen

V adaptor set (whatever that is): 3500 yen for 5x4"

Pocket pump: 3800 yen

Quickload holder: 98000 yen

From the photos I saw in the mag, it seemed the vacuum holder had a pressure plate unit that connected to the hose/bulb, as if one could (possibly) install this in a standard quickload holder to save money? I'd have to actually see the stuff to know.