PDA

View Full Version : Epson V700/V750 with Macbook Air?

chassis
25-Sep-2011, 08:52
Does anyone use this combination of scanner and laptop?

I read on the Epson site that a DVD drive is required. My Air has only USB ports. Is the Epson scanning software available via download, or on flash drive? Thanks.

Jon Shiu
25-Sep-2011, 09:20
You can download the drivers online, but additional software like Silverfast and Elements come on discs, but perhaps those can also be downloaded from other sites?

Jon

Frank Petronio
25-Sep-2011, 09:34
Yes you can download it from the Epson site.

Fourtoes
25-Sep-2011, 09:42
Or you can use the disc drive from another mac computer and wirelessly share.

photobymike
25-Sep-2011, 09:56
I have a mac book with no hard drive (broken). i boot from a thumb drive with epson drivers on it.... I scan and save to a network drive.... sooo coool and easy

sully75
25-Sep-2011, 10:08
I bought a little USB DVD drive to use with my netbook, works good for when I need it (occasionally).

urs0polar
25-Sep-2011, 10:25
You can actually get an external DVD drive for the air if you so desire as well (or share it from another mac or pc as Fourtoes alluded to above)

Once you download it, could you let us know if the V750/epson scan works fine in Lion on the Air? It would be good to know.

chassis
25-Sep-2011, 10:40
Thanks for the feedback. I don't have this scanner, so won't know for a while. Santa might bring it, but I can't remember if I've been good this year. :evilgrin:

photobymike
25-Sep-2011, 11:22
I think the v750 Epson is worth the extra money ... it includes software tools that will make your scans really good.... plus it has a wet tray for wet scans.... i have had both the 700 and now the v750... i can tell the difference..

http://www.mikepic.com

thought i would throw in a quote also....

Leigh
25-Sep-2011, 11:23
I'm using a V750 on a MacBook Pro, which does have a DVD drive.

However, the DVD is only used for initial software installation. It's not required during scanning.

If you want to install the bundled software you could use an external USB-connected DVD drive.

- Leigh

Boinzo
25-Sep-2011, 17:10
I downloaded and installed the drivers on my Mac mini with Lion. No DVD drive. Works great with my V700. As others have mentioned though..if you want to use silverfast you'll need to copy it's installation files over. I just used a thumb drive. Or you can share another DVD drive. Or get a USB SuperDrive for the actual disk.
I'm not using silverfast. I'm just scanning with epson scan direct into cs5. Works great for me...

daleeman
2-Oct-2011, 16:44
So do all the software programs that comes with a 700 and or 750 work on a Mac or is most of it PC based software? Will they sequentially scan the next frame in 6x6 and 35mm by itself with the Mac?

I have an older Plustech and other than the twain driver for the Mac inside Photoshop, all the cool software is for a PC.

Thanks for your advice, hope to start scanning my 4x5 soon so I am reading all I can on these units.

Leigh
2-Oct-2011, 17:50
All the s/w works with Mac OS X.

- Leigh

daleeman
3-Oct-2011, 02:20
All the s/w works with Mac OS X.

- Leigh

This is good news. Have you tried to let it sequentially scan framed slides by itself after it is initiated?

Lee

codex0
3-Oct-2011, 05:32
I use it to scan 35mm slides sequentially. You set up all of the frames individually, then select batch scanning from the top menu. There's even a "find frames" function where it tries to find them all.

Please note : there's a (free) update to the newest version of silverfast if you recently bought your scanner. It is MUCH easier to use, and a MUCH better interface in my opinion.

Leigh
3-Oct-2011, 07:08
No mounted slides here. I use it for 4x5 and 8x10, with occasional MF.

I have a large slide collection but haven't done anything with it in recent years.

- Leigh