PDA

View Full Version : Condenser lens alignment/position - how critical is it?

chassis
24-Sep-2011, 09:26
Greetings all,

Enlarger in question is a Beseler 45V-XL with Beseler condenser light source. I want to clean the condenser lenses. It looks like the unit can be disassembled relatively easily. How critical is lens positioning upon reassembly? Is it relatively mistake-proof to get the lenses back into position, or do I need jigs or special tools to get things aligned and positioned? Thanks.

Greg Lockrey
24-Sep-2011, 09:36
I'd take several meter readings around the light circle that is focused and note how close they are before and after the cleaning. You'll probably find that you are worrying for naught.

Gem Singer
24-Sep-2011, 09:42
Just make sure that you re-assemble the condenser unit the exact same way you dis-assembled it.

Doesn't require special tools. However, I seem to remember that there is a difference between the thickness of the Beseler upper and lower condenser lenses.

johnielvis
24-Sep-2011, 17:24
yeah--be CAREFUL you don't click click click them together----TOUGH when re-assembling....try a STRONG sucktion cup....I just thought of that.

chassis
24-Sep-2011, 19:35
Thanks all. I took the flat piece of glass off (not a lens), and cleaned both sides. Then cleaned the outer surfaces of the two condenser lenses. I didn't want to remove the retaining clip (it seemed tightly tensioned) so I didn't take the complete unit apart. It is an improvement.

johnielvis
25-Sep-2011, 15:03
the atmosphereic dust and grease buildup over time gets inside the condenserset....but if it's sealed up tight, you may have just lucked out....eVERY enlarger I got I had to take them apart and clean off the crap....one had spiders in it (long dead, but still)....