PDA

View Full Version : Cibachrome Tubes, I need to develop an insert for 4x5

akfreak
23-Sep-2011, 21:49
Helli to all, I have tons of Cibachrome tubes. They are great for prints, not so good for multiple sheets of 4x5, they end up on top of each other, overlapped and get uneven development.

I was wondering if anyone had a simple solution that would allow 4x5 film to be consistently developed multiple sheets at a time without the chance of the film shifting where the films can touch.

I have seen the taco method, it leaves a crease sometimes and corners of the other films can cause little nicks in the emulsion of adjacent films.

I was thinking of some pencils with top hat erasers on each end (long enough to create friction and remain in place) and make and X on the middle of the tube.

Or try to make some sort of center divider disk that has huge holes in it 1" or better to allow the passage of chemistry from chamber to chamber.

I have a bunch of Cibachrome tubes, I love how fast the chemistry is in and out, what a great design for prints. It uses little chemistry and is what I like to use.

Anyone here actually make a device to allow for 4x5 development in a Cibachrome tube.

I did 6 sheets last night and one at a time was a pita, I have 8" thru 16" tubes and MkI and MkII's

I look forward to hearing from you. I know about Jobo, Bessler, Yankee, BTZS, HP Combi Tanks, Unicolor, Chromega, ect... I have what I have and want to make it work.

Steve Smith
24-Sep-2011, 01:00
I don't have a design but I do have a CNC router/drill at work (usually used for PCBs) which I can cut plastic sheet up to 9mm thick on. I would be happy to make some prototype parts for testing if you have any ideas on what to make.

If you look at my 6x12 camera link below, you will see some parts made on thos machine.

Steve.

Steven Tribe
24-Sep-2011, 02:15
I have been developing both 18x24cm and 5x7" in the standard 8x10" ciba/ilfochrome tubes this past week too. There is no doubt that it is a good system for development, but as you say, not reliable for multiple sheets.
My own evaluation is that it would only be possible to make a do-able modification for just 2 sheets of a smaller format. The problem of packing "double up" negative sheets down into the tube are just too great. So 4x 4x5 is not possible for an 8x10 tube. I have noticed that when using smaller sheets there is quite a lot of sliding around the tube - so that often a corner is sticking up at the end of the process. Nothing that influences the successful development process with a single sheet, though.
I intend to convert at least one 8x10 tube to a 2 times 5x7 (13x18cm) tube by mounting two ridges (glued) to lock the sheets on their side of the tube. The tension created by sheets held in a half circle is much less than full circle so I think these dividers should have a T profile. A T form would also ensure easy sliding in.
Obviously, these dividers must not interfere with the flow of liquid around the tube!

The only other possible adaption is a holding frame which could be loaded and inserted - but the whole idea of low chemical use is lost.

johnielvis
24-Sep-2011, 17:31
I've built many---best is cross stitch plastic....use that or a screen with some plastic short binder clips in it...that holds the film down

Ilford film will get marks marks marks unless you pre-soak the crap off of it....you'll get waffle marks with ilford....you need the screen to keep the liquid going in there.

OR...you can make some kind of jig as long as liquid gets back there to get the crap off the base side....

if you are making prints it won't matter though apparently.....

akfreak
24-Sep-2011, 23:06
I don't have a design but I do have a CNC router/drill at work (usually used for PCBs) which I can cut plastic sheet up to 9mm thick on. I would be happy to make some prototype parts for testing if you have any ideas on what to make.

If you look at my 6x12 camera link below, you will see some parts made on thos machine.

Steve.

Hell yeah I will design it and maybe we can work together. WOW, Thanks! I will give it some thought. If we make a vented wafer with holes and notches around the outside the chemistry won't be impeded, We would turn a 16" tube in the a 4 chamber ea chamber holding 2 films with some sort of notch in the wafers fold the films in place.

Ewwwweeee, I cant wait to start prototyping. I will also send you a tube set for your time and also you will be on the same page. It is such a simple system, that uses so little chemistry. I mix one shot HC-110 and only take a tiny amount to do 2-4x5 or 1-8x10.

Thanks so much for this fine offer.