PDA

View Full Version : Yousuf Karsh's Heir

evanbaines
21-Sep-2011, 16:30
So imagine for a moment that you were looking for a timeless military portrait in the tradition of Yousuf Karsh. Preferably large format B&W film. Who in the United States would you hire for that task? Money isn't the primary object here, so big names are fine... but they must be specifically adept at this kind of portrait.

D. Bryant
21-Sep-2011, 16:34
So imagine for a moment that you were looking for a timeless military portrait in the tradition of Yousuf Karsh. Preferably large format B&W film. Who in the United States would you hire for that task? Money isn't the primary object here, so big names are fine... but they must be specifically adept at this kind of portrait.
Vinne Dixon from Hopestone, AR.

Jay DeFehr
21-Sep-2011, 18:14
If by "this kind of portrait" you mean iconic political portrait, Platon seems to be the go-to guy. I know he's not American, but he works here.

evanbaines
22-Sep-2011, 19:54
Thanks guys!

I've had a hard time tracking down Vinne Dixon... does he have a site?

Platon is iconic, yes... but also ironic and somehow less classic and heroic than I am looking for. Lots of extreme proximity.... Fascinating, but not right for this project.

Merg Ross
22-Sep-2011, 21:09

In the tradition of Karsh, might be possible. Unfortunately, specific to the United States, the only one who comes to mind that could have done a similar type portrait was the late Fabian Bachrach. I believe that he died last year, but the Bachrach family is still engaged in the portrait business and could likely be able to produce the type of portrait that you suggest. The trend is away from large format B&W portraiture, but the equipment and materials are still available. Fabian's heirs would be worth approaching.

http://www.bachrachinc.com/html/presidents_2_6.html

Frank Petronio
22-Sep-2011, 22:22
I'm not so sure Karsh would welcome the comparison to Bachrach. Karsh was special.

No offense meant but to be Frank.... Why would you want to copy some famous dead photographer's work? Anyone who would do that would never be nearly as good and it would - or should - feel wrong.

Besides the issue of copying, shouldn't art reflect it's time? Wouldn't a 2011 portrait that is made in a 1950s style feel a little bit gimmicky? Whereas making something of it's time actually enhances the story being told in the picture, it makes something more and something that will "stand the test of time".

I think there are many excellent large format portrait photographers who could do a respectful, formal, and heroic portrait but with allowances for their own style. My favorite of late is Dan Winters (http://danwintersphoto.com/), who is a stand-up guy and a true artist. But I'd enjoy the research, there are a lot of good photographers who would love to help.

This would be a cool way to do it: http://20x24studio.com/ I'm shooting there tomorrow lol

Gregory Heisler (http://www.gregoryheisler.com/) is a class act and I bet he'd shoot 8x10 in a hearbeat if you asked him. He may be our current equivalent to Karsh, especially since he doesn't do a lot of fashion or swarmy Annie Leibowitz style stuff.

But understand that a Heisler or Winters are probably well over $20K to go on location to do a portrait. Maybe $10K if they like the idea and you come to them. That's just guessing.

Merg Ross
22-Sep-2011, 23:21
I'm not so sure Karsh would welcome the comparison to Bachrach. Karsh was special.

I don't believe he would either, and yes, Karsh was special. That is why I used the word "tradition". I was not making a comparison, only a suggestion.

The OP alluded in his query to a "project". That is the only reason that I responded. I agree with most of your response. Perhaps I misunderstood the reason behind the query.

Struan Gray
23-Sep-2011, 00:06
I have no idea what format Robert J. Wilson uses (www.robertjwilson.com), but his photographs have a contemporary feel, and his Helmand book stands out amid the National Geographic style of warm-n-fuzzy our-boys-bless-em reportage that otherwise has come out of Afghanistan. He's mostly known as a portrait and fashion photographer, so studio work is his bread and butter, despite the Helmand work being more in the style of editorial reportage.

I also have a soft spot for Jason Bell (www.jasonbellphoto.com), because back when he was doing editorial portraits for my old uni's alumni magazine he found ways of making scientists look interesting without shining coloured lights on them or getting them to hold up test tubes. Classic glossy magazine portraiture. Again, I don't know what format he uses.

cowanw
23-Sep-2011, 05:36
Ther are many excellant photographers today, but I wonder if it is even possible for any to achieve the singular recognition that was possible in the past. I don't think we will ever see a Karsh or a Steichen (or many other greats of the past). I am not quite sure why. Times change and the profession may be diluted in numbers. Or maybe I need to wait a generation to see what shakes out of the sieve.

jnantz
23-Sep-2011, 06:09

Kirk Gittings
23-Sep-2011, 07:13
:eek: Funny, when I first read the title I thought it was about Karsh's hair!

Vaughn
23-Sep-2011, 08:21
I don't believe he would either, and yes, Karsh was special...

Not only was Karsh special, his work was the result of a close collaboration between him, his assistants and his printer. The magic of that team will be hard to duplicate.

Vaughn

Louie Powell
23-Sep-2011, 10:11
Two names come to mind -

Timothy Greenfield-Sanders

Herbert Ascherman, Jr.

danno@cnwl.igs
24-Sep-2011, 08:16

Interesting that you restrict it to the United States..... Karsh's main studio was in Canada.

muskedear
24-Sep-2011, 12:53
Interesting that you restrict it to the United States..... Karsh's main studio was in Canada.

Excellent point! By the same token, I am surprised that Tony Hauser was not mentioned yet.

http://www.vtonyhauser.com/

richard brown
27-Sep-2011, 22:00
Beat me to it.... Tony Hauser is not only an excellent portraitist but a gentleman and a humanitarian deeply involved in our world. If you are ever in Toronto, Ontario be sure to stop into his gallery. A great Canadian and photographer!