PDA

View Full Version : Copal 3 shutter stuck open, cocked and speed changed.

akfreak
20-Sep-2011, 22:11
I have Copal 3 shutter stuck open, it was cocked and shutter speed speed changed. Now it wont release. How can I decock /reset the shutter?

This the first time this has ever happened to me. I have CLA'D a couple of old shutters. Do I have to tear into this one to reset it? I dont see how to decock it? Thanks, AKf

Jon Shiu
21-Sep-2011, 08:09
Just to note you can change the shutter speed on a Copal with it cocked or not, doesn't matter. Maybe check the preview lever.

Jon

akfreak
21-Sep-2011, 11:21
I feel so stupid, I have never had any problems using any shutter, if it was broken I fixed it. If it was malfunctioning I fixed it.

This shutter, the Copal 3 was working like a charm, Cocked it and shot it, to test it, I always cock and shoot 2 times to test before making an exposure (like I always do). I cocked it to test the second time, then I was distracted.

My kid came in the room and started asking me a bunch of questions that lead to 30 mins of activities not related to photography. When I came back to the scene, for some reason I looking at my notes and remeasuring the light, I decided the exposure needed to change. I turned it and set a new speed but I had already cocked for the second testing. This is first time this had ever happened to me, I never made this mistake, I have always tried to be careful to not move the shutter speed on a cocked shutter.

The shutter would not release, the cocking arm is loose like it is cocked, when I turn the sped dial I can hear the timing mechanism trying to bleed off the cocked shutter. Not the normal timing sounds you hear when you make changes in a shutter. So I have to assume I have to tear it down and see how a Copal 3 works.

I will search Google for diagrams, does anyone here have any knowledge of a detailed exploded view of a Copal 3? Anyone have a PDF of a repair/ tech manual. Any special tool I may need. I have been able to work on all the rest with a Pick set and a nice mini screw driver set.

I will update this thread after I found whats inside and the problem. Or it may be a thread on the death of a Copal 3 by an Idtiot.:confused:

Fotoguy20d
21-Sep-2011, 11:32
I got a copal 0 where the cocking lever was loose, as was the release lever. When I opened the shutter (which doesn't look much different inside from any other shutter), the release lever turned out to be sheared off. I released the shutter using a screwdriver to push on the right bit. Except for the missing lever the shutter now works fine. So, maybe just try poking around and maybe it'll unjam.

Dan

E. von Hoegh
21-Sep-2011, 11:35
I got a copal 0 where the cocking lever was loose, as was the release lever. When I opened the shutter (which doesn't look much different inside from any other shutter), the release lever turned out to be sheared off. I released the shutter using a screwdriver to push on the right bit. Except for the missing lever the shutter now works fine. So, maybe just try poking around and maybe it'll unjam.

Dan

Good thought. ^

Try releasing it with a cable??

Jon Shiu
21-Sep-2011, 13:22
What happens when you flip the preview lever?

Jon

akfreak
22-Sep-2011, 00:48
I fixed it, it was the preview lever linkage. The shutter leaves appeared to be closed but the linkage was loose and did not allow it to fully engage/close to allow the shutter to be released.

I just moved it back into place, (the linkage) and tightened it down. It only had to move a few MM and it was back in place. It is right at the point where the preview unlocks and locks down. Now I have seen the inside of a Copal 3.

Thanks for those that responded. I was either going to fix it or mess it up trying to do so. In this case I was successful. I checked all the timings with a sound recording program called Sound Booth. It is real close to being dead on. It is a little fast at 1 second just a little. The rest of the speeds are too close to tell.

AuditorOne
30-Jun-2017, 12:57
What happens when you flip the preview lever?

Jon

I just want to thank the OP for posting his problem, and Jon for making his suggestion. My Copal shutter was exhibiting the same symptoms as described by the OP after I inadvertently moved the shutter speed dial from T to 1 second after I had pressed the shutter release once to put it into Time. Like the OP, I was sure I had messed something up good but when I moved the preview lever, as suggested here by Jon, the shutter blades closed and the shutter operates perfectly again.

This forum is an absolute god send and a wonderful resource for those of us who are newbies to large format.