PDA

View Full Version : Ilford Art 300

Richard K.
20-Sep-2011, 11:54
Anybody try this yet? Thoughts? Thanks...:)

evan clarke
20-Sep-2011, 12:20
It reacts the same as warm tone FB for me, toning, etc. I'm not sure about the textured surface yet, will have to make a few more prints..I'm pretty happy with the warmtone FB

cowanw
20-Sep-2011, 14:55
I think it is great. The nicest feeling paper I have ever held. It is about a grade harder than other Ilford paper or Agfa Papers for the same filters. It will be the best Portrait paper on the Market, you wait and see.:)

Emil Schildt
23-Sep-2011, 10:59
I think it is great.(snip) It will be the best Portrait paper on the Market, you wait and see.:)

Doubtfull....
havn't tried it yet, but as long as Foma makes their top line.... "bring it on"....;)

(although I have seen examples by Moersch which looked absolutely fantastic!)

cowanw
23-Sep-2011, 12:16
Based on what I have seen on your web presence, I think you will like it. Do try it and let us know.

Emil Schildt
23-Sep-2011, 12:34
Based on what I have seen on your web presence, I think you will like it. Do try it and let us know.

I plan to.... but as usual, Ilford is very expensive so I have to wait and see....

Emil Schildt
23-Sep-2011, 12:42
just checked - the Art 300 is about 10£ more expensive than the most expensive fomapaper ..

But somone have mad it work!!

Moersch as mentioned; see here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfgang_moersch/sets/72157625673197433/with/5342007121/

Richard K.
17-Oct-2011, 08:58
I think it is great. The nicest feeling paper I have ever held. It is about a grade harder than other Ilford paper or Agfa Papers for the same filters. It will be the best Portrait paper on the Market, you wait and see.:)

I think I have to agree with you Bill, having just tried it...:)

jp
8-Dec-2011, 21:11
I am waiting for my first Art 300 prints to wash. This evening, I made cyanotypes, MG-RC-WT prints, and Art 300 prints. I can hardly wait for the wash to finish.

I am blown away. I printed an 8x10 contact print portrait. For printing soft focus work or portraits, it's the paper you want to be stuck with on a desert island.

It's not just how the grays and whites and blacks are rendered, it's a combination of the tones, warmth, paper texture, image texture.

For prints you might want to nitpick with a loupe, stick to your normal shinier whatever. For non-f64 type of work, this stuff is the shizz.

Richard K.
9-Dec-2011, 07:18
||||||||||||||||this stuff is the shizz|||||||||||||

So,...you like it?:D

Did you try toning it at all? It seems fairly resistant. But I like it straight up anyway...beautiful tonality.

jp
9-Dec-2011, 10:50
The Ilford instructions say it's tonable, but I haven't tried yet.

The dry finish is weird and likeable. It's sort of an anodized yet velvety look, sort of like wet black wet-sanding paper, but blacker; I can understand why it's difficult to scan.

It dried flat as nicely as RC paper, which is a big timesaver and underpromoted benefit to the product.