PDA

View Full Version : It's official. No more film processing in Nashville, TN.

cdholden
20-Sep-2011, 10:57
Pro Photo was the last place in town that did commercial film processing on site. I tried to drop off a couple of rolls for processing this morning and was turned down. Apparently they stopped even their C-41 and b&w about a month ago.
Bummer.

Richard K.
20-Sep-2011, 11:13
Sad. Here (Toronto) it now costs $9 or so for a roll of 120 and there's just a few places that will do LF C-41 sheet film.

cdholden
20-Sep-2011, 11:20
I can do my own black and white, but due to the significance of the event I photographed, I would much rather pass on the liability to someone else if there any problems with the results.
It's not often a friend of the family has a daughter with a first birthday. The best part was that while I did it as a favor, I caught shots that the PAID photographer missed.

Kirk Gittings
20-Sep-2011, 11:35
Your lucky (not really) we lost our last lab like 5 years ago!

Frank Petronio
20-Sep-2011, 12:12
Yet another plug for Edgar at http://www.4photolab.com/ lol.

You want to work with a busy lab that has enough volume to be able to afford to maintain good chemistry and processing practices. Places that are slow are not the best quality.

Richard Rankin
20-Sep-2011, 12:19
I was thinking of shooting some color print and slide 120 and wondering where to send it. I see Dwayne's is still going in Kansas.
Richard

cdholden
20-Sep-2011, 13:31
I was thinking of shooting some color print and slide 120 and wondering where to send it. I see Dwayne's is still going in Kansas.
Richard
E-6 in Atlanta (http://www.e-sixlab.com/film.htm) gets plenty of praise and I know they do a lot of volume. Frank's plug for Edgar Praus at every closing announcement used to be amusing. I never liked the idea of shipping my film elsewhere when I had a local lab that could handle it. I'm considering it now.

atlcruiser
20-Sep-2011, 13:35
I am in Atlanta and I used to use E6 a lot. I found them to be a bit expensive and the quality was not always there for me.

My experiences with them led me to doing al of my own c41 and e6 at home.

lenser
20-Sep-2011, 13:57
Was always extremely happy with the quality from Aliied photocolor in St. Louis, but now their E-6 rices are way high and the service is "only when we have enough rolls to run a batch" which could day days or longer. But they also do C-41 and B&W to perfection.

I'm now using Denver Digital Imaging who run E-6 twice daily at $2.00 per 4x5 and $5.95 for 120. Great results thus far.

John NYC
20-Sep-2011, 14:30
LTI and L&I in New York (these are two different labs) both do 8x10 E6 beautifully. I would guess they do mail in, but you would have to call.

The folks in both labs are very friendly and helpful.

ic-racer
20-Sep-2011, 14:42
It's official. No more film processing in Nashville, TN.
Why can't you process film in TN? Is the water supply bad? Radiation levels too high? Can you still take pictures in TN?

I would much rather pass on the liability to someone else if there any problems with the results.

So you are looking for someone you can sue if the images don't come out they way you want? Maybe they are no longer in business because someone beat you to it...

Kirk Gittings
20-Sep-2011, 15:22
Yet another plug for Edgar at http://www.4photolab.com/ lol.

You want to work with a busy lab that has enough volume to be able to afford to maintain good chemistry and processing practices. Places that are slow are not the best quality.

ditto

cdholden
20-Sep-2011, 16:59
Why can't you process film in TN? Is the water supply bad? Radiation levels too high? Can you still take pictures in TN?

So you are looking for someone you can sue if the images don't come out they way you want? Maybe they are no longer in business because someone beat you to it...

Wow. Those are some strong assumptions. Take off the tin foil hat if you're going to play along.
I just feel better giving the work, because of the sentimental significance, to someone who does it more frequently than I do. I'm quite capable of developing. It was just an assurance to the "customer". Besides, you can't sue for development errors. That's why the pros have insurance for their high dollar projects.
I can see you're all about sensitivity. I thought you of all people would understand.

Frank Petronio
20-Sep-2011, 18:34
Ha well I think processing color at home is bogus too, you're much better sending it out unless you somehow have busy studio cranking out 100s of sheets a week, in which case you hire someone to do it for you.

As for always recommending Praus, he is my friend, his lab work is rock solid and he hits a reasonable mark between being custom/personal and not too NYC-ish fancy snobby expensive... and if his lab remains busy and prosperous it is in my selfish interest because I find it very convenient to drop my film off locally and pick it up after drinking coffee. I wish you were as lucky but better me than some dude in LA or Kansas.

If I were Canadian then I'd be recommending Bob Carnie. For scans Lenny Eiger from this forum has a great reputation. If I get a gazillion dollars then I'll buy new Linhofs from Bob Salomon. Nothing the matter with supporting the people you know, even if it's only virtually!

bbuszard
20-Sep-2011, 19:00
Well, this is all very depressing. In Hampton Roads I've had great luck with Atlantis Photo Processing handling my (infrequent) C-41 work. I certainly hope they don't vanish on us any time soon.

DougD
21-Sep-2011, 11:09
In Vancouver, BC, The Lab (http://www.thelabvancouver.com) does excellent work at a reasonable price.

Hieu is the manager and runs his shop well. It's kept busy by locals and the Hollywood North people who still shoot a lot of film.

keith english
21-Sep-2011, 13:41
E6 in Atlanta still does C41 and E6. Haven't had a lot done but haven't had any problems.

TomNutterPhotos
21-Sep-2011, 15:10
There is Colourworks in Wilmington, Delaware:

http://www.colourworks.com/colourworks_content.html

ic-racer
21-Sep-2011, 20:32
Wow. Those are some strong assumptions. Take off the tin foil hat if you're going to play along.
I just feel better giving the work, because of the sentimental significance, to someone who does it more frequently than I do. I'm quite capable of developing. It was just an assurance to the "customer". Besides, you can't sue for development errors. That's why the pros have insurance for their high dollar projects.
I can see you're all about sensitivity. I thought you of all people would understand.

Sorry , did not mean to be offensive. Just the way the OP was typed seemed odd. I forgot the 'smiley' after my post.

JosephBurke
24-Sep-2011, 06:05
Sorry guys ! I'm still using Walmart for my 120/220 needs with B&W at home on the Jobo!
I can't do my color at home that cheap!

rjphil
28-Sep-2011, 11:06
LTI and L&I in New York (these are two different labs) both do 8x10 E6 beautifully. I would guess they do mail in, but you would have to call.

The folks in both labs are very friendly and helpful.

I'll second LTI - been sending them my E6 since I shut my line down last year (after 28 years of running a custom lab). They've been good, fast and reasonably priced, and the film always comes back clean.

redrockcoulee
28-Sep-2011, 19:22
This year the only local lab stopped processing E6 and up until the end they did 4X5 and this is in city of 60 000 with very little population anywhere near by. But can still drop them off at London Drugs and they send them to Vancouver, the only downsides are the time it takes and the film comes back slightly stoned. The local lab still does C41 but then never did any larger than 120.

"Real" film processing takes place in the attic, last night a couple batches of 5X7 my wife shot.

Two23
28-Sep-2011, 19:41
Here in my large city (hey, the largest in the Dakotas!) I still have a lab that does C-41 & E6 for 35mm and 120. And, B&W too! I throw them some business every month. Hard to believe that cities with over a million people can't support one film lab. Heck, there aren't even a million people in my entire state!

Kent in SD

Jon Wilson
28-Sep-2011, 20:31
Thankfully, we still have a local lab in Boise which processes C-41, E6, B&W for 35mm up to 8x10.
http://www.scanprintframe.com/

Jon

ImSoNegative
29-Sep-2011, 22:01
there is a place in chattanooga tenn. that does e6 exclusivly

David Luttmann
30-Sep-2011, 05:32
In Vancouver, BC, The Lab (http://www.thelabvancouver.com) does excellent work at a reasonable price.

Hieu is the manager and runs his shop well. It's kept busy by locals and the Hollywood North people who still shoot a lot of film.

Ya, it's kind of weird that such large cities in the US have no labs....while here in Vancouver and Victoria we have labs o' plenty to choose from. Bizarre.

z_photo
2-Oct-2011, 15:00

Who? I knew NorthLight but i thought they quit.

cdholden
2-Oct-2011, 20:40

What?
Who?
Where?
I'll be there later this week. I would certainly be interested to hear more.
If it's the one on Market St, I heard they shut down a year or two before I was asking about it earlier this year.

miss_emma_jade
18-Jun-2012, 03:06
What?
Who?
Where?
I'll be there later this week. I would certainly be interested to hear more.
If it's the one on Market St, I heard they shut down a year or two before I was asking about it earlier this year.

more information.. I just holidayed in nashville with 35mm, and would like to take a field camera next time..

rdenney
18-Jun-2012, 04:48
I've been using Zebra Color in St. Petersburg, FL. They are doing one run each of C41 and E6 every day, and two runs per week of black and white. They don't do 8x10, but they do 4x5 with no problem.

Nothing against Edgar Praus, but I know one of the owners at Zebra.

We may still have a local lab in the Washington/Baltimore area, though my usual lab shut down E6 a long time ago and no longer makes proof prints from C41. Driving to a lab across town is impossible, though--I'd much rather drive to the post office and keep a stock of the small USPS Priority Mail flat-rate boxes.

Rick "who has a batch of Provia quickloads with them now" Denney

Jim Michael
18-Jun-2012, 05:17
I am in Atlanta and I used to use E6 a lot. I found them to be a bit expensive and the quality was not always there for me.

My experiences with them led me to doing al of my own c41 and e6 at home.

We're in Atlanta and send C-41 to Edgar. The biggest issue from other labs has been dirt embedded in the emulsion of negatives. As film is treated as the bastard stepchild in many labs, they are going to put lower tier employees in charge of running film and the quality issues result in the collapse of the business for that lab. Real waste of a niche market opportunity. If you are a lab rat reading this: Clean and replace the filters, including those in the drying section of your processor.

Ari
18-Jun-2012, 09:23
I may be wrong, but Champion might be the only ok lab left in Montreal.
There's a pretty decent lab in Ottawa, GPC Labworks, run by the Ginn family, who used to be the largest photo retailers in town.
The only problem is I prefer the results I get at home (C-41) to theirs.
I hit them up now and again for a couple of test sheets, but I'm firmly an at-home developer.

Robert Jonathan
20-Jun-2012, 02:54
We may still have a local lab in the Washington/Baltimore area, though my usual lab shut down E6 a long time ago and no longer makes proof prints from C41. Driving to a lab across town is impossible, though--I'd much rather drive to the post office and keep a stock of the small USPS Priority Mail flat-rate boxes.

Hey Rick, us Virginians have what's supposed to be a really good lab, though I've never used it.

DodgeChrome (sounds like a car dealership): http://www.dodgechrome.com/photofilm/wetlab/filmprocessing.html

Looks like they're located in MD, DC, and VA (McLean). Maybe I'll give them a try.

Like you, I send my film out to other places, (Colorado!... and NYC).