PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the 121 F8 Super Angulon

John Conway
19-Sep-2011, 14:47
I am considering a 121 F8. The format it will be used for mostly is 4x5. I remember reading something about there being early and later versions of the lens. The later model just covering 8x10. Does anyone know how to tell the difference between earlier and later models.

Ari
19-Sep-2011, 15:13
One way might be by the serial numbers; perhaps someone here has an index of Schneider lenses, as well as knows when the image circle got smaller.
I know I have the earlier version, as I don't get dark corners on 8x10.
I hope you post your findings.

Peter Gomena
19-Sep-2011, 15:59
The 121 became the 120, and it will barely cover 8x10. I bought mine in about 1980 and it had replaced the 121 a couple of years earlier. If you have the serial number, you can find the manufacture date from the Schneider website: http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/service/serie.htm

Peter Gomena

Richard Wasserman
19-Sep-2011, 16:01
Here's a chart for you to check the age of the lens if you have the serial number— http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/service/serie.htm

And the specs— https://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_lenses/super-angulon/data/8-121mm.html

Peter beat me to it!

cdholden
19-Sep-2011, 16:45
I know I have the earlier version, as I don't get dark corners on 8x10.

How much movement can you get out of it before seeing those vignetted corners? Would you mind sharing your serial number, at least within 1,000 unit accuracy if you don't want to be too precise?

John Conway
19-Sep-2011, 17:20
Great.... thanks for the info. I just noticed a few different variations available on ebay. There were blackmodels, chrome, and even a Linhof model. This is getting exciting. Price varies as well.

John Conway
19-Sep-2011, 17:29
I meant to say Sinar. There is a Sinar model available as well.

Ari
19-Sep-2011, 17:50
How much movement can you get out of it before seeing those vignetted corners? Would you mind sharing your serial number, at least within 1,000 unit accuracy if you don't want to be too precise?

Chris,
Mine was made September 1972; it is 12 236 xxx.
I haven't tried to find the edge of the IC, but I know that whatever rise and shift I need, albeit slight, has not been a problem thus far.
I suspect, and this is based on a little experience and pure guesswork, that it gives me no more than 7-8mm in either direction.
I have no idea why it is capable of that, if the published IC (288) is to be believed.
Maybe I'm looking at the wrong lens chart, one for a later version of the lens.

rdenney
19-Sep-2011, 17:56
I'm reasonably sure that all of these 121/8 Super Angulons have the same optical performance, including coverage. The 120/8 was a bit different, but really all the 6-element Super Angulons (f/8) were the same with a 100-degree angle of coverage.

The type with the chrome front cell was often fitted into a special Compur 0 with oversized mounting threads. Mine is that way and it dates to 1958. It is a superb lens, but I've never found its edges on 4x5. There are several of these on ebay right now--the shutters have the zebra-pattern shutter speed ring and a window for the other controls. I think these would be the oldest era for the 121mm lenses. Those in black barrels but with righting on the inside of the filter ring are newer, and probably the latest 121's. I don't see any of the 1970ish vintage that had two chrome stripes around the black rim. Starting in the late 80's or early 90's, they had writing outside the front barrel, but I'm sure the 121 had been replaced by the 120 before that happened. I don't think the 121 was ever multicoated.

There are a couple on Sinar boards, but these look as though they were originally intended for use with the Auto-Aperture Shutter. Both of them seem to be mounted in regular shutters, though. One has a Norma-era aperture control mechanism.

I seem to recall that the 121 used a glass that became unavailable at some point, so they reformulated the lens for the glass that replaced it, and that became the 120. That memory is quite fuzzy, but I heard it here, so someone knows.

I can't think of any reason why the various shutter mountings should affect the coverage.

Rick "who can't test the 8x10 coverage of his" Denney

cdholden
19-Sep-2011, 18:09
Chris,
Mine was made September 1972; it is 12 236 xxx.

Mine is from 1958ish, with a s/n around 5.5M... I'm eager to get it mounted on a lensboard so I can compare coverage. Hopefully, mine has some wiggle room on 8x10 also.

John Conway
19-Sep-2011, 18:56
Well, I couldn't ask for more information. This is great. Very helpful.