PDA

View Full Version : it IS possible to move a commercial deardorff by yourself

johnielvis
15-Sep-2011, 18:11
FINALLY in my apartment and assembled--had to take it apart and move it piece by piece---then re-assemble it---I"m on the 7th floor of a high rise in downtown chicago...check it out...aintcha jealous?

William Whitaker
15-Sep-2011, 18:14
Hate to tell you, but you reassembled it sideways...
Did you get it from Earl Scheib? ;)

Ari
15-Sep-2011, 18:27

There's your problem!

Have you been noticing a lot of your portraits coming out in a horizontal frame?

Seriously, tho...nice job, and nice camera.

johnielvis
15-Sep-2011, 18:31
yah...dammit...I didn't notice how it posts the pics orientation wise...my program here uprighted it and I thought I saved it that way...blah---inexperience with digicams, see....

Daniel Stone
15-Sep-2011, 19:25
nice color on the stand/legs

-Dan

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
15-Sep-2011, 20:19
I did this a few months ago. The worst part are those lead counter weights.

johnielvis
15-Sep-2011, 20:37
yeah, dude....HEY...I wrapped a little fabric around the top and bottom of the lead weights and not I don't get the bell clapper effect anymore when moving the stand back and forth--little hint for you if you didn't do that already--the clanging always bugged me.

actually the worst part for me was moving that big casting on the bottom WITH the posts attached--I was able to move it with the posts attached--the largest part---I decided not to take the posts off because i was afraid I wouldn't be able to get them lined up nice again......with the posts attached, that thing is unwieldy and hard to balance---but it IS movable by one person.....surprised the hell out of me...takes only TIME.

TheDeardorffGuy
16-Sep-2011, 15:38
I've done two stands with cameras to the paint standards you did. Very nice. Do not worry about removing the posts from the base. The flanges are machined flat to the base. No big deal. Makes it much more compact when you move. Nice job. Ken

yeah, dude....HEY...I wrapped a little fabric around the top and bottom of the lead weights and not I don't get the bell clapper effect anymore when moving the stand back and forth--little hint for you if you didn't do that already--the clanging always bugged me.

actually the worst part for me was moving that big casting on the bottom WITH the posts attached--I was able to move it with the posts attached--the largest part---I decided not to take the posts off because i was afraid I wouldn't be able to get them lined up nice again......with the posts attached, that thing is unwieldy and hard to balance---but it IS movable by one person.....surprised the hell out of me...takes only TIME.

Robert Hughes
17-Sep-2011, 14:50
So how does the image show up on the ground glass? Upside down AND sideways? :confused:

johnielvis
17-Sep-2011, 16:19
I've done two stands with cameras to the paint standards you did. Very nice. Do not worry about removing the posts from the base. The flanges are machined flat to the base. No big deal. Makes it much more compact when you move. Nice job. Ken

not mine, dude---there's 4 bolts that hold it down and 4 set screws in each of them---not at all flat...I'll see if I can get a sideways picture of them... har har har

there's actually SPACE you can see THROUGH between the post flanges and the base

I'm thinking that the reason is that mine was NOT stock at 6'...it was like 20 feet and cut down later---the longer versions probably had to have the teeny adjustments in order to keep them parallel all the way to the top....that's my theory.

ON THAT, I checked the parallelism and it's slightly off at the top from the bottom anyways...so I SHOULD have taken the chance---there's no way I'd get it THAT far out of allignment where it wouldn't work with only 6' of pipe on that thing.....

johnielvis
17-Sep-2011, 16:39
here's the pics showing what's down there......that dust is paint being scrapped off from up and down...so it aint perfectly aligned right now....and I ain't taking it apart again to screw around with it---it's working and I'm leaving it at that (for now)....

TheDeardorffGuy
17-Sep-2011, 17:26
Old catalogs show 10 feet as the shortest. You could buy them by the foot at a premium. But it was normally 10-15-20 feet. I had a couple of 20 footers and they are not easy to get horizontal to work on! The post war ones were machined on the cross bar and flanges to insure paraellelism. Anyway nice work

not mine, dude---there's 4 bolts that hold it down and 4 set screws in each of them---not at all flat...I'll see if I can get a sideways picture of them... har har har

there's actually SPACE you can see THROUGH between the post flanges and the base

I'm thinking that the reason is that mine was NOT stock at 6'...it was like 20 feet and cut down later---the longer versions probably had to have the teeny adjustments in order to keep them parallel all the way to the top....that's my theory.

ON THAT, I checked the parallelism and it's slightly off at the top from the bottom anyways...so I SHOULD have taken the chance---there's no way I'd get it THAT far out of allignment where it wouldn't work with only 6' of pipe on that thing.....

johnielvis
18-Sep-2011, 06:47
hey--the modern kitchen "window" into the living room comes in handy with this camera---just like a print shop--the camara back end is in the darkroom (kitchen)....man do you need the extension with that 1100xxl....I actually need just a teen tiny bit MORE extension to get the 1:1.....dammit...even with the packard box and the lens full mounted all the way out on the board I still can get the full 84" I need for that!!!! just short by about 6" or so...

John Conway
18-Sep-2011, 09:19
Nice........ I have been looking at one for a while. Enjoy.

Robert Hughes
20-Sep-2011, 07:10
Hmm ... a 7' tall camera setup in the kitchen? You must be a bachelor...

johnielvis
23-Sep-2011, 11:31
ha HAAAAA...of course I'm single...hell---no way to have a job wasting most of your time AND do this kind of stuff unLESS you're single, right?