PDA

View Full Version : VueScan turning my images purple

David Solow
14-Sep-2011, 14:12
Hi All,

I just started using VueScan. I have an Epson V750 and use a MBP thats two years old, running OSX 10.5.8.

When I scan my Kodak E100G film, the image in VueScan Preview has a purple cast. I tweak the color settings to get it out, but still the colors don't match the beautiful transparency. The colors are the same when I view the image in Photoshop or Bridge.

Also, I've noticed with my Fuji Neopan Acros 100 as well as the Kodak E100G that the highlights are slightly blown out.

I output to a DNG file at 800 dpi at 4x5 for 4x5 film, which creates a wopping big file: around 64 MB.

I've written to Ed Hamrick and am waiting for a response, but I thought one of you may have figured out what to do.

Thanks,

David

Heroique
14-Sep-2011, 14:51
David,

If your V750 came w/ Epson Scan, my first step would be to see if Epson’s software duplicates the problem. A quick scan might help isolate the issue.

domaz
14-Sep-2011, 15:05
64 MB isn't really a whooping big file. Open the DNG file with Photoshop- it should open the Camera RAW window where it tries to automatically adjust the DNG file. If Photoshop still produces cast you may have a scanner issue. Otherwise you just need to fuss with your color settings in Vuescan- maybe try Landscape color balance instead of Auto or vice versa.

Ken Lee
14-Sep-2011, 15:37
"When I scan my Kodak E100G film, the image in VueScan Preview has a purple cast."

it may be purple. Many of my E100 images are.

Color films will record things that look gray to us, but which are actually blue (shadows and shadow-lit scenes).

Even more challenging is that they all have strong and irregular color casts. Every film stock has 3 non-linear curves which need to be corrected when ever we make color images.

Correcting color film and making a nice print from it, is a high art.

Justin Cormack
15-Sep-2011, 01:58
Hi All,

I just started using VueScan. I have an Epson V750 and use a MBP thats two years old, running OSX 10.5.8.

When I scan my Kodak E100G film, the image in VueScan Preview has a purple cast. I tweak the color settings to get it out, but still the colors don't match the beautiful transparency. The colors are the same when I view the image in Photoshop or Bridge.

Also, I've noticed with my Fuji Neopan Acros 100 as well as the Kodak E100G that the highlights are slightly blown out.

I output to a DNG file at 800 dpi at 4x5 for 4x5 film, which creates a wopping big file: around 64 MB.

I've written to Ed Hamrick and am waiting for a response, but I thought one of you may have figured out what to do.

Thanks,

David

What settings are you using? If the highlights are blown out, that definitely suggests you are not using the dont do anything at all to my image settings. I dont have it in front of me, but there is a scan range slider, which defaults to maybe 0.25 to 0.75, if you set this to 0 to 1 (or 100%) it will not clip the scan at all (it will on the other hand look very flat, you will have to adjust!). Also set the colour to completely uncorrected (this is all in the advanced settings menus), and just set the film type to negative or positive.

You will then get a very flat image, but it should only have a minor colour cast hopefully, which you can then tweak, depending on how you like to do your workflow. You can either use Vuescan, or just get an unclipped scan out and use Photoshop or whatever.

Thats probably a bit inaccurate as it is from memory. I find Vuescan is much nicer than any of the other software, but the defaults can be unhelpful, and you need to spend a bit of time understanding whats going on, in particular the raw scan as it comes out of the scanner and the post processing parts like curve adjustment.

David Solow
8-Oct-2011, 11:37
Thanks for everyone's help. After reading more and trying a variety things, I ended up using the automatic scan which gave good results. I used those settings and tweaked the color and got better results. Next, I changed one thing, only one thing. I changed the output to DNG. The image is purple. I can change the color settings radically and there is no change at all. The image looks great in the preview. Once it's scanned for a DNG output, it turns purple. It's a mystery to me. Any suggestions?

David