PDA

View Full Version : Fastest MacOSX TIF viewer?

l2oBiN
8-Sep-2011, 08:31
I am currently facing large tif files which take a while to browse through on my laptop. I s there a fast TIF viewer I could use to browse the images?

Larry Gebhardt
8-Sep-2011, 09:45
Lightroom or Bridge will index them, so that might help you. What are you trying to do? Slide shows, or just find a particular image?

Ken Lee
8-Sep-2011, 09:48
Picasa is free and once it's passed over your files is the fastest one I've seen. It runs in background, automatically detecting new images wherever you configure it to look. By the time you get there, it has usually discovered and digested them already.

The last time I tried it,there was no support for 16-bit grayscale Photoshop files. It ignored them altogether. That may have changed. Since I deal with those often, it was a show-stopper for me.

SW Rick
8-Sep-2011, 09:59
Preview works very fast.

l2oBiN
8-Sep-2011, 10:59
I need to preview the files at 100% very quickly. (I also need to pan around zoom in and out quickly) It takes quite a while for a 400mb tiff to preview for me..Photoshop is good once it loads the file but it takes quite some time again...

Sirius Glass
15-Sep-2011, 09:55
Preview works very fast.

+ 1

l2oBiN
15-Sep-2011, 10:08
So how do you actually use the preview to browse through a large number of big tiff files?

dsim
15-Sep-2011, 10:19
Select all files : Command A or drag select

Open with Preview : Control click selection, choose the "Open with" option, select preview

Also give Photo Mechanic a try :) .

chacabuco
15-Sep-2011, 16:50
I agree with Photo Mechanic. By far the fastest for previewing large files.

Daniel Moore
21-Sep-2011, 01:24
Just Looking is my favorite viewer on the mac. No idea how it compares but worth investigating, it's free.