PDA

View Full Version : Sinar Norma Original Spring Back Plateholder

jayabbas
29-Aug-2011, 19:33
Do any of the forums Norma owners and users have an original 4x5 spring back? All I ever see is the 600KM international back in use or for sale. I am wondering if they discontinued it in favor of the flexible international back. The back I have is very light and compact with modest spring tension unlike the heavier hand of the international back. Inserting a film holder is a breeze and it sure lightens the camera in the field. I don't even see any mention of a spring back other than the 600KM in the Sinar construction unit manual. Dating it brings it to 1957-8 as original owner bought it then.

Adamphotoman
29-Aug-2011, 20:22
Great concept but why was it changed.
I got rid of my original Norma Backs because I use much heavier roll film holders and now a scan back.
Lightweight cut film holders should be quite at home with the original back but it did not work for me.
The 2nd generation allows for tension adjustment.
G

Jim Noel
30-Aug-2011, 07:54
My Norma is still original, and I have no thought of changing it.

jayabbas
30-Aug-2011, 08:40
My Norma is still original, and I have no thought of changing it.

Are you original owner? I am trying to get a feel for how many original kits may be around. Seems like most Normas have become hybrids and mixes of newer and older parts. The earliest S/N i have found is mention of a 4081** dated from Feb 1953. Mine is 8057** from sometime in 1957. Any ideas on total production year to year?