PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Portfolio Showing January 28, 2012

rcjtapio
29-Aug-2011, 19:20
Get your portfolio ready. The Midwest Large Format Asylum will hold it's fifth portfolio review on Saturday, January 28th, 2012 at the Best Western Indian Oaks Motel in Chesterton, Indiana. If you love images made with large format capture, this will be the place to be.

Many participants arrive a day ahead on Friday for an afternoon of shooting as Chesterton is only a few miles from the Lake Michigan shoreline and the Indiana Dunes. Many others come just on Saturday for this free event.

We will expect to show between 15 and 25 portfolios. If there is time, we have also offered short talks on such subjects as carbon printing, mixing your own chemistry and creativity, to name a few.

Photos from our previous years "lockdowns" and more up to date information can be found in the FORUM section on our website:

www.midwestlargeformat.com

Hope you will consider joining us. Large format photographers from Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio will be joining us.

Rick Tapio

evan clarke
30-Aug-2011, 13:20
This is a top shelf get together...EC

Brian Ellis
30-Aug-2011, 20:13
Get your portfolio ready. The Midwest Large Format Asylum will hold it's fifth portfolio review on Saturday, January 28th, 2012 at the Best Western Indian Oaks Motel in Chesterton, Indiana. If you love images made with large format capture, this will be the place to be.

Many participants arrive a day ahead on Friday for an afternoon of shooting as Chesterton is only a few miles from the Lake Michigan shoreline and the Indiana Dunes. Many others come just on Saturday for this free event.

We will expect to show between 15 and 25 portfolios. If there is time, we have also offered short talks on such subjects as carbon printing, mixing your own chemistry and creativity, to name a few.

Photos from our previous years "lockdowns" and more up to date information can be found in the FORUM section on our website:

www.midwestlargeformat.com

Hope you will consider joining us. Large format photographers from Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio will be joining us.

Rick Tapio

I didn't see any portfolios in the FORUM section. Does one have to register to view them?

MIke Sherck
31-Aug-2011, 06:20
I didn't see any portfolios in the FORUM section. Does one have to register to view them?

Yep. There's no cost involved, nor any other commitment, and Frank won't sell your e-mail address to fund his strange addition to Efke 25 film.

:) Mike

Colleen K
31-Aug-2011, 06:34
I believe you can click on the Gallery button in the forum section and see posted photos without registering.(most of the forum topics are only visible with registration)

I'm greatly looking forward to this event and plan on driving down Friday afternoon/evening this year instead of getting up super early to drive down Saturday morning like I usually do.
The prints are always fabulous and it's just an all around good time.

Colleen

Richard K.
31-Aug-2011, 06:36
Do you accept Canadians? :o

Colleen K
31-Aug-2011, 06:39
Yes, Canadians are welcome. I believe there is even a forum member from Italy:D so you don't really have to be in the Midwest

Colleen

rcjtapio
31-Aug-2011, 19:37

The forum gallery mostly has images from our monthly outings. We go to someplace pretty cool every 3rd Saturday of every month...some are one day trips, others are overnights. There are also a few individual images other photographers post from their private outings.

Not all of our LF group have the equipment to scan & post (after all, they are film people), and some just think that too much quality is lost from the original print to post at 72 dpi & don't post, so if it portfolios you want to see, the real deal will be at our showing in January. I suppose in a way, that is why we get together to show prints. There's no judging ......just enjoying.

You do have to register on the website to see the full site content. It's free and secure.

Rick Tapio

Richard K.
1-Sep-2011, 07:26
Yes, Canadians are welcome. ........
Colleen

That's great! :) Think I will try to come. So, just book a room? Register with you?

rcjtapio
1-Sep-2011, 09:52
It's great you are thinking of coming. Here are some specifics:

- You would make your motel arrangements directly with the motel
- It is a free event (although it is not unheard of to have a donation box)
- Eveybody pays for their own food
------usually we go out as a group to a Chilies for supper Friday & Saturday night
------there is a nice diner in town for breakfast (I believe it is Peggy Sue's)
------the day of the review, we take lunch orders as you arrive & cater it in
- we usually start at 9:00 am & go until all portfolios are seen
- usually we draw numbers out of a hat to determine the order
- we will provide the viewing lights & light boxes for transparencies

we are an informal group and are open to all comments & suggestions. If I had to guess, I would say our average number of portfolios is around 17 or 18. Turnout depends on weather as it is January and roads can get bad. There are always a few people who come just to look & enjoy so my guess is the average number of people attending is around 20-25.

Hope that helps.

Rick

Colleen K
1-Sep-2011, 10:06
The group's pretty informal-no pre-registration required. Just come to the conference room(look for a bunch of people milling around carrying prints:D ) at the hotel on the appointed day and enjoy.

If you decide to grab a room at the hotel, mention you're with the Midwest Large Format group when you reserve as I believe that if the hotel gets a certain number of reservations they will provide the conference room for free or at least a reduced cost-otherwise participants are welcome to make a voluntary donation to cover some of the cost.
We usually order lunch from a local restaurant that delivers.

I hope you can make it.

Colleen

Oops, looks like Rick beat me to the post reply button

John Jarosz
2-Sep-2011, 05:30
While there are images in the forum gallery, not many people scan their finished mounted prints. And that's actually the point. The portfolio viewing is about looking at actual prints - and yes, some members do inkjet prints for display in addition to the silver and alt process prints that are shown.

This is kind of like a classical photography class critique where a person puts out his prints and then the collective views them, with comments and questions. There is no contest and no one is deemed better than someone else. There's very little pontificating about art or feelings or whatever. The prints do the talking. :-) It's also similar to a photography workshop in the sense that because we (as a group) go on outings together, many of the prints are of identical subjects all photographed at the same time.

And to reinforce Rick's comments, I personally see no sense in making a digital copy of an 8x20 negative printed carbon transfer to be viewed on someone's iphone. Our print viewing is also about viewing prints as objects, something that is forgotten by many who view images on a screen at 72 dpi.

Looking at PRINTS is almost as important as making them. They actually go hand-in-hand. In order to get better you must do both.

Besides, what else can we do this time of year in Chicago? You really can't photograph when it's 10 below and the wind is 30 MPH.

chris_4622
2-Sep-2011, 07:51
Come on now John, the weather isn't always that bad in January, just on the portfolio weekend.

It's always an eye opener when I see what work people have done over the past year.

John Powers
5-Sep-2011, 11:39
I have been the last two years and intend to go next January.
Great show, Good work. Enjoyable People.

John

mat4226
6-Sep-2011, 08:28
Marking my calendar for this portfolio showing now. Now back to the darkroom to finish up this all-carbon-prints portfolio I'll be showing. :D

rcjtapio
30-Oct-2011, 19:29
"I never tried to prove nothing, just always wanted to give a good show. My life has been my music; it's always come first, but the music ain't worth nothing if you can't lay it on the public."

----Louis Armstrong

Come show your prints in January.

rcjtapio
7-Jan-2012, 09:16
Final plans are being made for the 5th anniversary of our portfolio showing of LF prints. Come join us in Chesterton, Indiana on the 28th. It's free and all are welcome.

rcjtapio
16-Jan-2012, 11:13
Final plans are being made for the 5th anniversary of our portfolio showing of LF prints. Come join us in Chesterton, Indiana on the 28th. It's free and all are welcome.

Only 2 weeks away....hope you're thinking about coming.

evan clarke
16-Jan-2012, 14:14
If you live within 300 miles and like LF photography, you will enjoy this get together...Evan Clarke

Brian Ellis
16-Jan-2012, 15:04
While there are images in the forum gallery, not many people scan their finished mounted prints. And that's actually the point. The portfolio viewing is about looking at actual prints - and yes, some members do inkjet prints for display in addition to the silver and alt process prints that are shown.

This is kind of like a classical photography class critique where a person puts out his prints and then the collective views them, with comments and questions. There is no contest and no one is deemed better than someone else. There's very little pontificating about art or feelings or whatever. The prints do the talking. :-) It's also similar to a photography workshop in the sense that because we (as a group) go on outings together, many of the prints are of identical subjects all photographed at the same time.

And to reinforce Rick's comments, I personally see no sense in making a digital copy of an 8x20 negative printed carbon transfer to be viewed on someone's iphone. Our print viewing is also about viewing prints as objects, something that is forgotten by many who view images on a screen at 72 dpi.

Looking at PRINTS is almost as important as making them. They actually go hand-in-hand. In order to get better you must do both.

Besides, what else can we do this time of year in Chicago? You really can't photograph when it's 10 below and the wind is 30 MPH.

The question about viewing in the FORUM was asked only because the OP said "Photos from our previous years "lockdowns" . . . can be found in the FORUM section on our website." And when I went there I didn't see any photos. So I asked. I understand the benefits of seeing original prints rather than on-line images.

rcjtapio
16-Jan-2012, 20:09
The question about viewing in the FORUM was asked only because the OP said "Photos from our previous years "lockdowns" . . . can be found in the FORUM section on our website." And when I went there I didn't see any photos. So I asked. I understand the benefits of seeing original prints rather than on-line images.

The "photos from our previous outing"" may mean candid photos taken during each presentation, rather than the actual mounted prints we all bring & show. Only a portion of the website is available to first time visitors. If you haven't already, you need to register (free) to get access to the whole site. Once registered you will have access to the candid photos of our previous print shows, along with the actual gallery, which is only used by a few photographers, but not all as John pointed out.

Rick

rcjtapio
20-Jan-2012, 10:12
Only one week away from enjoying some great LF photography prints. Hope you're thinking about coming. Again, on Saturday, January 28th, we'll be at the Best Western Indian Oaks in Chesterton, Indiana in the big meeting room. We'll open the doors around 8 am & get started around 9 am. Lunch is dutch ($10) and will be catered in from a local restaurant.

Many folks arrive on Friday (and stay until Sunday) to explore the area & shoot (the Lake Michigan shoreline at the Indiana Dunes National Park is only a few miles away.) Friday night we are going out for a steak dinner....so far 10 people have said they were joining us. (If you planning on coming in on Friday & want to join us...let us know in the forum section at www.midwestlargeformat.com.)

Depending on the weather (lake effect snow is always a possibility in January), we expect between 15 to 20 portfolios. I know there will be prints from 4 X 5 & 5 X7, up to 8 X 20, 7 X 17, and 11 X 14 negatives, along with carbon prints. We are also planning a couple demonstrations on mixing your own chemistry and to view a new device built by a couple of our (asylum) inmates that agitates Jobo drums using computer programming.

This is our 5th year of viewing prints. Hope to see you there to help make it our best.

Rick Tapio

Chuck Pere
21-Jan-2012, 06:51
I'm planning on attending again. I've been to a few of these and they seem to get better every year. A great way to see a variety of excellent prints. Since we had our snow storm last night maybe next weekend will be clear.

mat4226
22-Jan-2012, 16:58
I plan on attending this year! It'll be my first time to this event or any kind of portfolio viewing for that matter. Hoping to have some more darkroom time to finish all the carbon prints. x__x

rcjtapio
27-Jan-2012, 09:44
Film loaded, prints mounted, car packed....off to Chesterton.....hope to see you there tomorrow.

Rick