PDA

View Full Version : Rodenstock Imagon availability

David Nash
13-May-1999, 17:00
I'm interested in the above lens for large format portrait work, but am having p roblems getting information about them (in the UK).

Someone told me that Rodenstock made a 480mm version for 10x8" work. Is this st ill available, or are the 250mm (5x4") and 300mm (5x7") lenses the longest now a vailable? I plan to contact-print the negatives, so a version for 10x8" would b e great.

Also, what is the image circle of these lenses, ie do they allow much movment?

Bob Salomon
13-May-1999, 17:33
The currently avalaible Imagons are the 200mm for up to 6x9 cm, the 250mm for 4x5" and the 300mm for 5x7". Longer Imagons are no longer available as there are no shutters large enough that are made today to hold them.

Rodenstock does not publish image circles with these lenses but only maximum format sizes for each lens. This is probably related to the fact that unlike regular lenses the Imagon is used at any disk setting depending on the desired effect. This includes the maximum aperture which is reached 2 ways, without any disk for maximum softness or with the first disk fully open for slightly less softness. When you get to the smaller apertures were the circle of illumination is normally given the lens is no longer soft.

Additionally the focus point shifts with each setting so all focusing must be done at takin

Richard Fish
14-May-1999, 22:41
David- You might also consider a Kodak Portrait lens. The 305mm was made for 8x10 and is usually found in a #5 Ilex shutter. They are very fast and soft, until they're stopped down to f/11 and beyond. A 1950's lens, I bought mine from Lens & Repro in New York about 5 years ago. I think I paid $550. They've apparently caught on again, and L&R's current listing is for one at $750. They produce truly outstanding 8x10 portrait negatives that virtually glow as a contact print. I prefer this lens to the Imagon because there are no disks to mess with - moving the iris from soft [open] to sharp [closed down] just becomes automatic and doesn't interfere with the relationship between photographer and subject; ie IT'S EASIER! [oh yes, Lens & Repro does have Web pages where lots of LF equipment is listed, and I'll bet they'll ship to "Jolly Old England" without question!]

David Nash
17-May-1999, 15:33
Dick

Thanks for your suggestion. However, I think that I'll need a lens of around 480mm for 10x8" portraits. Do you know if Kodak made one of these?

David

Roger Urban
21-Oct-1999, 16:35
David,

I have a 300mm Imagon and it does without a doubt cover 8x10. As I recal l , there wasn't any vignetting to speak of in the corners. The Rodenstock lens literature is in error on the conservative side by recommending it for the 5x7 f ormat.

Perhaps Bob Solomon can add to this thread with more of an explanation?

Bob Salomon
21-Oct-1999, 19:46
The 300 is not recommended for 810 not because it may not cover but because the effect of the haloing is not correct for 810.

I would be happy to explain this on the phone to anyone interested and they can add the exp;anation.

To do so simply call me at 800 735 4373. Or see me at Photo + East next week at booth 1917. We may even have an Imagon there