PDA

View Full Version : The correct way to scan 8x10 film

D. Bryant
24-Aug-2011, 05:18
http://files2.lynda.com/files/lol_email/trailers/trailer77481.html?utm_source=LDCemail&utm_medium=email&utm_content=SA20110819_OTL77481_prod_button&utm_campaign=ReleaseAnnouncements

A Deardorf complete with a motor drive sound.

JosephBurke
24-Aug-2011, 06:13
Interesting actually and not being sarcastic. I would think that possibly for a quick and dirty print using the DSLR might actually be the ticket, if you don't have a scanner or if a customer really doesn't care about all the detail brought out in a large print. There was an article in VC, IIRC, that used the same process for LF 8x20 or 7x17 negatives and I thought it was interesting and definitely worth trying for a contact or slightly larger size.
My DD doesn't have that feature-bummer. That's not the first time I've heard that motor drive sound added to a manual camera in a movie or video.

Helen Bach
24-Aug-2011, 06:25
Don,

I don't think that is the sound of a motor drive. I think that sound is the clockwork monkey used to waken the models up.

Best,
Helen

timparkin
24-Aug-2011, 06:49
I love the way he handles those beautiful 8x10 transparencies too - obviously he's had his sweat glands surgically removed - that's dedication!

D. Bryant
24-Aug-2011, 09:03
Don,

I don't think that is the sound of a motor drive. I think that sound is the clockwork monkey used to waken the models up.

Best,
Helen

Hehehe ...

sully75
24-Aug-2011, 09:13
That's like Spinal Tap for LF photographers.

Kirk Gittings
24-Aug-2011, 09:16
My DD doesn't have that feature-bummer. That's not the first time I've heard that motor drive sound added to a manual camera in a movie or video.

In case you haven't heard there is a recent software update for the DD that adds that feature to your camera. Seriously........

Daniel Stone
24-Aug-2011, 13:26
I love the way he handles those beautiful 8x10 transparencies too - obviously he's had his sweat glands surgically removed - that's dedication!

I think those had sleeves(albeit tight ones) on them(lab fold over style), but still!

-Dan

Frank Petronio
24-Aug-2011, 14:27
They were pretty crappy shots anyway... nobody made uglier early Photoshop work than Kirkland... wacky art filters, weirdo curves, 20x Gaussian Blurs, you name it, he used it!

akfreak
24-Aug-2011, 14:34
Hehehe ...

Isn't this almost the exact way you convert your LF negs to digi. I think you said you use a Copy stand and a 5dmkII.

I have used a window with a softbox diffusion material on it, sun blaring thru and a canon g12 to take the shots of 6x17. If it works it works.

Way faster than scanning, all depends on the final size and resolution. I am sure there is some loss of detail scanning with a dslr vs a good scanner.

Also he showed 8x10 chromes on a light table. Then when he took the images on the copystand, they looked like negs. Why did he not show the process of transfer of chromes to a digi space with that rig. I have to assume it is the same process.

Frank Petronio
24-Aug-2011, 14:40
Hit the "Apple Key" and "I" concurrently and sell a $79 video, whoopee!

akfreak
24-Aug-2011, 14:41

Yeah I noticed how he handled them just pressing them with bare hands in to place when he swaps the chomes on the light table. If I look at them wrong they seem to get dust, smudges, ect...

D. Bryant
24-Aug-2011, 15:34
Isn't this almost the exact way you convert your LF negs to digi. I think you said you use a Copy stand and a 5dmkII.

I've never said no such thing ... ever!

akfreak
26-Aug-2011, 15:27
I've never said no such thing ... ever!

I must be loosing it. Do you have a 5dMKII? Do you have a copystand? Do you ever use the 5dkII to capture analog images into a digital space? I thought I remembered a PM you sent me talking about it when I was asking questions about the Agfa Duo HID.

If memory serves, I asked about the NYC bridge pic you scanned in B&W and you said you dont use that scanner anymore you use a 5dmkII and a copystand.

If you never said anything like that, then I am very sorry, I wasn't trying to spread rumors or make accusations. I appreciate all your help you have been a great help as a matter of fact. Thanks for everything. AKf

D. Bryant
26-Aug-2011, 16:23
[QUOTE]Do you have a 5dMKII?

No, maybe next month.

Do you have a copystand?

Yes.

Do you ever use the 5dkII to capture analog images into a digital space?

No.

I thought I remembered a PM you sent me talking about it when I was asking questions about the Agfa Duo HID.

Not me.

If memory serves, I asked about the NYC bridge pic you scanned in B&W and you said you dont use that scanner anymore you use a 5dmkII and a copystand.

I've never photographed a NYC bridge.

Thanks for everything. AKf

No problem.

As far as using a digi-camera in lieu of a scanner I don't have a problem with that though I don't consider it to be a substitute for a scanner. Now if I had a MF digital back or camera I might be tempted to experiment more seriously since MF backs/cameras should have a larger dynamic range. For color work white balance would concern me in any case.

In years gone past I set up and used an inverted dichro head to shoot inter-negs onto Vericolor L internegative film using a Nikkor 80mm enlarging lens. That worked very well but that's a whole other story. Luckily I only had to set up the system and color balance the light source. Someone else did the grunt work of making the copies (Ektachrome and Kodachrome slides). In those days direct print from slides wasn't very good so inter-negatives made very nice prints once everything was dialed in. Of course we had our own C-41 processor and RA-4 processor so running tests was relatively quick and easy.

So it's feasible to consider using a digi-body for doing dupes, but I doubt they will replace a good scanner particularly a high end flat bed or drum scanner.

Don

sully75
26-Aug-2011, 21:30
Maybe you're thinking of the guy on here with the flickr account JohnNYC?

akfreak
26-Aug-2011, 21:40
No, you know who it is, David Goldfarb. from seeing this post (http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/005zCK)

Sorry D. B