PDA

View Full Version : Dallas / Fort Worth Fall plans

msk2193
21-Aug-2011, 11:12
Good afternoon all,

A couple of events I am working on for the Fall, or when it is much cooler out (whichever occurs last!) are:

1. Cavanaugh Flight Museum. I still need to get with the Director, but am trying to open the doors early on a Saturday morning for us to have access with our tripods. Additionally, I am going to try to have one of the WWII ear bombers placed outside and at one point start its engines so that we can all get a photo with black smoke billowing out of one or more engines. No date as of yet, but stay tuned!

2. A Parisian weekend. As in Paris, Texas that is!

If there is no funeral on the Saturday or Sunday we are there we will be able to get in the sole building that survived the downtown fire of 1916. Quite an interior for detail shots. The exterior also has some wonderful opportunities.

Additionally, i learned about a donor who commissioned the carving and sent over from Italy exact replicas of Michelangelo's David, the Roman sculpture of the Two Wrestlers, and the Greek Statue Discus Thrower, Discobolus with the correct head position! These were imported and placed in Paris Junior College. We have a tentative o.k. for us to see them and if possible (space and background) photograph them.

Paris also offers some very neat old alleyways downtown that have some great photo opportunities.

Leaves turn early November, so maybe a good timing for this outing!

Although far from complete, here is what I have in mind to date:

Recommend drive out on Friday afternoon - 3 hrs from downtown Ft Worth, 1.5 from Plano:
Some reading material on the area attractions:

Friday late afternoon shooting of downtown churches and fountain, other downtown "attractions". There are some neat older churches around town.

Friday night supper in one of the local joints e.g. Fish Fry.
Hampton Inn is $85 / night; Holiday Inn Express quoted $94.91 / night for a king bed room and $103.46 for a room with two queen beds. Hotels are both non-smoking. I have not made any attempts to get a group rate.

http://www.texasescapes.com/TOWNS/Paris/Paris.htm
Saturday morning downtown, cemetery, Pat Mayse Lake, churches, fountain

Saturday afternoon to Hugo - 27 miles
Late afternoon back to town and shoot the Eifel tower with the sun behind us.

Head home OR

spend one more night and on Sunday:

Visti Cooper TX

http://www.texasescapes.com/CentralTexasTownsNorth/Cooper-Texas.htm

Then meander our way up to Bonham, a larger town with nice structures and the home of Sam Rayburn.

http://www.texasescapes.com/TOWNS/Bonham/bonham.htm

Head home.

Please let me know via e-mail @ michael@kan.com if the weekend of November 11-13 would be convenient.

Make it a great week.

sdenman
21-Aug-2011, 13:48
Wow Michael, sounds like you have all ready got some time and effort into this one. I think a whole weekend outing would be amazing. Thank you for the effort you all ready have in it. I will be looking forward to hearing more details as they come available.