PDA

View Full Version : Document scanner recommendation for large project - 300 dpi and speed required

there s a place
20-Aug-2011, 13:04
Hello,

The project is scanning a quite large volume of typewritten manuscripts, sizes ranging from approx. 5" x 8" to 8.5" x 11". The pages are in binders and may only be scanned one at a time, an automatic document feeder does not meet our requirements.

Scanning may be done at 300 dpi, as this is good enough quality and time will be a very important factor.

Price range. Max resolution for scanning will be 300 dpi, no film scanning required. $500 - $1500. Speed of scan is of highest importance.

Scan speed is highly important. Currently with an Epson Perfection V300, scan speeds are approx. 20 seconds (grayscale), 30 seconds (color). Scan speed is then, now, 2-3 images per minute. A scanner (at 300 dpi) that would allow triple, quadruple, or more is very much desired.

No high depth required, i.e 48-bit.

Many Thanks!

jp
20-Aug-2011, 14:16
A DSLR on a copy stand might be the fastest way to image the pages; probably less than 10s per page. Flip page, check composition, click, repeat.

Toward the higher end of that range you could buy a used high end networkable photocopier (which can scan like it copies)

Epson has made some bigger scanners; perhaps the ones with the document feeder options (though you don't need that option) scan quicker; first hand experience is better than mfg. specs. but I haven't tried them.

I have an epson v700 and it's probably of comparable speed to your v300. I have an old cheap canon lide one that is much slower.

Gem Singer
20-Aug-2011, 15:00
Take the manuscripts to Fedex/Kinkos, and let them do all the work for you.

They use high end copy machines and do a fine job for a reasonable price.