PDA

View Full Version : Nicholas Nixon's Techniques

Jeff Liao
25-Feb-2002, 00:53
hi, does anyone know about Nicholas Nixon's techniques? which camera he uses? lens? i am sure he used wide angle. he croped his images right?

thanks

Jeff

pudge
25-Feb-2002, 01:05
He's prominently quoted on Ron Wisner's website praising his Wisner. He's still at it, by the way, unless I've missed some bad news.

Jeff Liao
25-Feb-2002, 01:13
hi, i thought he uses a handheld camera?....

Jeff

neil poulsen
25-Feb-2002, 02:32
I read that, at one time, he owned a Phillips 14x17 camera that was specially made for him. It was up for auction on EBay by Fred Newman.

Sean Yates
25-Feb-2002, 04:06
Nixon is a diehard user of the larger formats. No handholding there! He started with an 8 X 10 Deardorff and hasn't really left the format, although as noted he ventures into the Super Large formats off an on. I believe he has graduated to a 16" X 20" currently.

In essence he uses minimal technique - primarily bounced flash for fill and natural lighting. He shoots Tri-X and prints on Azo. No cropping - all contact prints. There is an response to a similar question on this forum by one of his former students that gives greater detail.

His primary virtue, IMHO, is managing to use, or seem to use, the larger formats in a way one would expect a rangefinder to be used. My personal favorite book is Family Portraits, a thin volume issued by Smithsonian Press.

Ellis Vener
25-Feb-2002, 10:17
he hasalso recently been quoted about how the Canham 8x10 is after years of trying others, his favorite camera. But whether it is a Canham, a Wisner or a Deardorff that he uses I don't think you can tell from his images. And at any rate it is irrelevant.

No he does not crop: his images are full frame, contact printed 8x10 images -- no enlargements.

When he uses flash it sems to usually be usually a single head (maybe a Dynalite 1000 w/s pack & head?) bounced off of the ceiling. I think he uses a 10" (roughly a 240mm) lens.

My guess is that he uses Tri-X film.

Ellis Vener
25-Feb-2002, 10:46
And he uses a tripod. Not handheld. Study his compositions, they are very formal.

Ellis Vener
25-Feb-2002, 20:18
Nick,

Me too. Robert Adams works for me as well, when I amfeeling too constrained.