PDA

View Full Version : Graflex Repair?

Hugo Zhang
19-Aug-2011, 10:58
Hi,

I sent my almost new/unused Graflex Super D to SK Grimes six weeks ago to mount a Pentac lens on it. They called me today saying my shutter wouldn't fire, probably because I wound it up the tension and it sit on their shelf for many weeks. They don't know how to fix it.

Now I need to find a Graflex repair guy for them to send the camera to have this problem fixed and then they can wount the lens for me. Any suggestions?

Many thanks!
Hugo

ghe67
19-Aug-2011, 11:08
I don't know if is still operative but Fred Lustig I think is your best bet.
Giorgio

Hugo Zhang
19-Aug-2011, 11:25
Thanks Giorgio! I thought of Fred, but called Frank Marshman on the east coast to save time.

Problem solved! :)

Robert Hughes
19-Aug-2011, 12:14
If it's a standard lens such as an Optar, it might be cheaper to buy another on off the Dreaded and keep your old one for parts.

Jon Shiu
19-Aug-2011, 12:19
Bert Saunders in Bakersfield, Calif. did great work on mine.

Jon

Dan Fromm
19-Aug-2011, 15:28
Robert, I think Hugo's problem is with the focal plane shutter. Super Ds usually have lenses in barrel.

Hugo, if the shutter was working before you sent it to the shop, have them check the T-I slider.

Jon, Bert worked over my RB, sent it back with the problem unfixed. He didn't listen to me when I told him what it was, just did a CLA and returned the camera without even checking. I can't recommend him for anything but the simplest ...

Sirius Glass
20-Aug-2011, 05:33
Dan,

Bert is no longer able to repair cameras. He has walked me through fixing Graflex focal plane shutters via email. It was slow but I learned how to fix it myself.

Steve

BrianShaw
20-Aug-2011, 11:47
Steve Choi of Steve's Camera Repair in Culver City CA.

Frank Petronio
20-Aug-2011, 13:54
Frank Marshman is good, fast, and not over-priced... plus I think he is younger than some of the old-timers. Not to be morbid, but I'd hate for one of the old-timers to make their mortal exit while my camera is in his shop....

It's like that with doctors, you want one younger but still experienced. You don't want to be 90 years old and having to change physicians.