PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for avprint service to do exhibition quality postcards and posters

frankrizzo
19-Aug-2011, 08:36
I tried psprints and they were unable to deliver a reliable and color correct product. Overnightprints doesn't have any options for posters other than 11x17".

I'm looking for a digital printing service that can produce quality product. Preferably one that uses rgb so I don't have to sweat color profile problems. A variety of paper weights and sizes for posters would be fantastic.

Of course I'm on a short deadline. Psprints really put me in a hurt bag.

frankrizzo
19-Aug-2011, 08:40
It's supposed to be "a print service" I'm on my phone and my fat fingers press extra buttons.

Noah A
19-Aug-2011, 13:13
I don't know if any really good offset printers use RGB since CMYK is how their presses work. Anyone who will take RGB will likely convert your file and that may be where the problems will arise. I'm not all that experienced with press work or CMYK conversions, but I'd still rather do as much of the work myself as possible to ensure I get what I want. If you can get a profile and do a soft proof, you'll be one step closer to getting what you want. If the printer offers press proofs, so much the better.

I'm also not sure why the profile problems you mention wanting to avoid would be unique to CMYK. RGB devices also use profiles and you'll need them if you hope to have any hope of previewing the final product.

I've always used Modern Postcard for my postcards and mailers. They're not the cheapest, but they do great work. Their profiles are available online and they'll send you a color kit that includes some printed reference samples to help you get the color right. Their color has always been spot-on. They offer lots of sizes of postcards and a few other products but I think their poster sizes are limited.

frankrizzo
19-Aug-2011, 14:46
I don't know if any really good offset printers use RGB since CMYK is how their presses work. Anyone who will take RGB will likely convert your file and that may be where the problems will arise. I'm not all that experienced with press work or CMYK conversions, but I'd still rather do as much of the work myself as possible to ensure I get what I want. If you can get a profile and do a soft proof, you'll be one step closer to getting what you want. If the printer offers press proofs, so much the better.

I'm also not sure why the profile problems you mention wanting to avoid would be unique to CMYK. RGB devices also use profiles and you'll need them if you hope to have any hope of previewing the final product.

I've always used Modern Postcard for my postcards and mailers. They're not the cheapest, but they do great work. Their profiles are available online and they'll send you a color kit that includes some printed reference samples to help you get the color right. Their color has always been spot-on. They offer lots of sizes of postcards and a few other products but I think their poster sizes are limited.

I'm going to use Modern Postcard - it is continuously recommended and Myphotopipe, the people that do an excellent job on my prints, recommended them.

CMYK scares me - any color conversion on my original prints makes me nervous... I want exact colors. Psprint was trying to get me to fudge me files to compensate for their uncalibrated printers - at $35 a proof * 30 variations. That's a lot of fudging and no guarantee on color accuracy.

I still need a poster source 18" x 24" 14 pt. gloss preferably.

frankrizzo
19-Aug-2011, 15:04
Thanks to Modern Postcard I found a HUGE part of the problem.... it was the color profile. I had a good inclination that's what it was prior to just finding it out... I had asked PSprint if they had a color profile for their printers, and they do not.

Jon Shiu
19-Aug-2011, 15:12
Thanks to Modern Postcard I found a HUGE part of the problem.... it was the color profile. I had a good inclination that's what it was prior to just finding it out... I had asked PSprint if they had a color profile for their printers, and they do not.

can you describe the profile error in more detail so that we might not make the same mistake?

Jon

frankrizzo
19-Aug-2011, 16:42
can you describe the profile error in more detail so that we might not make the same mistake?

Jon

http://www.modernpostcard.com/knowledge/preparing-materials/color-profiles

Noah A
20-Aug-2011, 07:36
... I had asked PSprint if they had a color profile for their printers, and they do not.

This would be a deal breaker for me. Unless they do a few rounds of free proofs, there's no way to know what you're going to end up with. To me it would also be a sign of a company that isn't in to service or quality.

I've always used Modern for my promo cards and business cards and I've always been happy with the results. Before I start a layout I always check the website to make sure I have the newest specs and profiles.

Sorry I can't offer any suggestions for the posters...