PDA

View Full Version : Is this another Green Military Frankenspeedster?

tom thomas
16-Aug-2011, 14:40
Current sale on E*ay offers this green military Speed Graphic, graflok back.
Listing 260831418940

The graflok back is black, looks like it has been upgraded or replaced. The cover on the Graflok viewfinder is green though but the frame is black. Lensboard is silvered aluminum, not black.

Serial number is mid-1950's. Price is even higher.

Tom

Dan Fromm
16-Aug-2011, 15:22
Tom, the camera was made in 1954. The s/n was assigned "for PH-104 contract."

Not something cobbled together out of scrap, a US Army Anny with standard-issue Graflok back made long after the Pacemaker Graphics had been introduced.

The seller often asks very high prices for quite ordinary equipment.

Michael Cienfuegos
16-Aug-2011, 21:58
The seller is camera$, he has the most outrageous prices for his stuff. I don't bother to look at anything he has, I can probably buy it somewhere else for less than half his cost. He does have some nice stuff, though.

tom thomas
18-Aug-2011, 11:50
Thanx all. I'm not in the market for one of these myself. I posted this so if someone were looking to buy one and queried into this forum, they'd have a heads up on what to expect. There do appear to be some reassembled ones out there for sale. Much like Omega copy watches, etc.

If the shiny aluminum lens board is standard, I'm glad it is cold war, not Korean War era. If I were a combat photographer, I'd expect to take a bullet through the lens when a sniper spotted the light shining on the nice lens and lensboard as I poked my head and camera up in the line of fire for a nice shot.

Tom

GPS
18-Aug-2011, 13:08

If the shiny aluminum lens board is standard, I'm glad it is cold war, not Korean War era. If I were a combat photographer, I'd expect to take a bullet through the lens when a sniper spotted the light shining on the nice lens and lensboard as I poked my head and camera up in the line of fire for a nice shot.

Tom

Trading shots - that's what a war is about...:)

goamules
18-Aug-2011, 14:46
Or if you want a complete military kit, did you see this one?!

Nice, but you probably wouldn't want to use the black flashgun on night covert ops.