PDA

View Full Version : New to contact printing: need your advice on equipment, papers and technique.

l2oBiN
12-Aug-2011, 17:12
I would like to do some 4x5 BW contact prints from 4x5 negatives, on a really thick cardboard like paper suitable for postcards. I don't have any equipment specific to contact printing at the moment (including chemicals, but I do have a jobo 3010 and some open trays) and would like your advice on how I could produce the best possible contact print that would best show the qualities of a contact print (perhaps a textured paper?) and would capture the eye.

Thank you in advance.

John Bowen
12-Aug-2011, 18:45
check out the AZO forum.
www.michaelandpaula.com
Read the writings section and the forum.
Have fun

Daniel Stone
12-Aug-2011, 18:52
I love Azo/Lodima in Amidol. But that's a glossy paper. You asked about textured papers...
Supposedly Ilford has a new textured papers out now. I haven't used it, I'm more than happy with Lodima in grade 3 for my printing needs.
Just FYI, find a paper you like the surface of, and use it until you know exactly how it works(or doesn't). This will probably mean 100-200 sheets of paper, minimum. Use a standard developer(like D-76 or ID-11). Try different dilutions, toning procedures,etc...
Find what you like, and stick with it.
Too many people try too many things, and become all wishy-washy, and complain that they're not happy with their prints. Stick with one product, and get used to it.
best of luck, and welcome to the club :)
-Dan

Oren Grad
12-Aug-2011, 21:15
"Qualities of a contact print" can mean different things to different people. Can you explain more specifically what print characteristics you're looking for?

l2oBiN
13-Aug-2011, 02:15
I would like a textured paper look that "wraps" the detail around the texture. I hope that makes sense. But I would like a thick rigid paper suitable for a postcard..

Jim Noel
13-Aug-2011, 06:49
I think you are out of luck on a "thick, rigid paper" suitable for a postcard. The last paper I had that fit that description was Kodak Velox, 30-40 years ago.

Brian Ellis
13-Aug-2011, 07:14
Contact printing is simple. You need a light bulb and a printing frame that will hold the negative in good contact with the paper from edge to edge (some people get by with two pieces of glass and no frame). Put the negative and paper in the frame, negative on top. Turn on the light. Run a few tests to get an idea of time. That's about it. You don't need to do nearly as much dodging and burning when contact printing as you do when enlarging (which is fortunate because dodging and burning aren't as easy to do when contact printing).

If you were printing digitally you'd have plenty of choices of papers, metal, canvas, all sorts of materials. But I don't know of a darkroom paper today that's like the paper you describe.

RickV
13-Aug-2011, 07:17
Mount your "chosen paper" print onto an uncoated printing stock with all the relevant details printed on it (at home) ....then it can be as rigid as you want and will look like the real thing and be easier to write on. Printers can even sell you sheets of double sided adhesive so you can do it on the cheap at home....just remember to mount sightly larger and trim to size when using this process....

William Whitaker
13-Aug-2011, 07:19
Good luck trying to find photo postcard paper any more. Since you're contact printing anyway, perhaps you might consider an alt process and use the paper you want.

Daniel Stone
13-Aug-2011, 08:41
doesn't ilford make a "postcard" paper, however, it's still only on a 250gsm base:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/eng/product/ilford_multigrade_iv_rc_portfolio_4x6_postcard_100_sheets_pearl_mgs_44k/il80110?gdftrk=gdfV23423_a_7c1267_a_7c4147_a_7cIL80110

-Dan

John Koehrer
13-Aug-2011, 09:10
there were(are) available peel & stick postcard backings made for standard printing papers.

bob carnie
13-Aug-2011, 09:29
The new Ilford Textured warm tone is pretty thick, I think closest to what the OP describes

rdenney
13-Aug-2011, 10:58
there were(are) available peel & stick postcard backings made for standard printing papers.

http://www.amazon.com/8pk-Photo-Postcards-Self-Adhesive-Customize/dp/B002PUXCNU

Rick "Google is your friend" Denney

l2oBiN
13-Aug-2011, 14:30
The new Ilford Textured warm tone is pretty thick, I think closest to what the OP describes

Are you talking about the Ilford art 300? How thich is that? I don't really understand the gsm specification. Also, do all papers curl? It would be great if it's straight...

For the printing chemicals, how do you determine what's needed? Is that specified by the paper? AND What about a safelight? Is it paper specific or generic?

Daniel Stone
14-Aug-2011, 00:34
again,

the search function here, or go on APUG, there's probably 100's of threads identical to yours over there.

everyone has a different working method/chemistry preference/etc... You need to find YOURS. Start basic:

Dektol(paper developer)
Any-brand stop bath
Fixer(non-hardening is best IMO for fiber paper, or generic "Rapid Fix" w/o the hardener(sometimes an additive, which you can omit to shorten washing times)
Hypo Clear

-Daniel "Google is really your friend, and wants you to use it to its full extent for things such as this" Stone

bob carnie
14-Aug-2011, 05:57
I would say it is thicker than regular photographic paper but not as thick as a postcard
I can be processed like any photographic paper using chemical.

Yes this is the paper, I flattens nicely.
It is too thin to use as a postcard and putting in the mail.

Are you talking about the Ilford art 300? How thich is that? I don't really understand the gsm specification. Also, do all papers curl? It would be great if it's straight...

For the printing chemicals, how do you determine what's needed? Is that specified by the paper? AND What about a safelight? Is it paper specific or generic?

l2oBiN
14-Aug-2011, 08:57
If I can't get postcard thickness paper, and haveto resort to getting a postcard backing, which fiber based paper/s flatten nicely? Also can the paper be made more rigid by processing in some sort of chemistry?

leighmarrin
15-Aug-2011, 01:17
I've never tried this trick, but if you've got access to a dry-mount press, you might try this:

When you are making your exposed silver print, also take an identical sheet of the same paper UNEXPOSED and run it through the developer/stop/fixer. Then sandwich the two dried sheets together back-to-back with mount-tissue between them, and put them in the press.

I'd use fiber-based paper, not RC, as the latter is tricky to dry-mount in a heated press. If done right, this is supposed to give a flat, stiff result. Never tried this; YMMV.